Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Class Action Lawsuit Targets Apple's iPhone Storage Claims

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Class Action Lawsuit Targets Apple's iPhone Storage Claims

A new class action lawsuit is taking aim at Apple by accusing the iDevice maker of shortchanging iPhone buyers on the device's storage capabilities just as a means to encourage iCloud storage.

Apple is now being sued in federal court by a "class of plaintiffs" over these purportedly unsavory business practices.

According to a complaint obtained by Forbes, the plaintiffs argue that the discrepancy between advertised and available capacity is substantial and beyond any possible reasonable expectation. For the Devices, the shortfall ranges from 18.1-23.1%.

Additionally, the class action lawsuit plays into the fact that many users have, indeed, complained that Apple hasn't perhaps been as transparent as possible about the sizable storage iOS 8 requires. Consequently, the iDevice maker may now be compelled to answer for these allegedly shady business practices.

Source: Forbes

Shady business practices! Really?

Every single computing device that is sold always advertises the total storage capacity as opposed to the available capacity. This is nothing new and I definitely would not call it shady! It's just marketing.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Donnutt (2015-01-03), vXBaKeRXv (2014-12-31)

I hope the people suing die from asphyxiation, few less oportunistic morons to worry about. I hope this lawsuit goes nowhere as it's amongst the stupiddest ones out there, but none trumps the guy that sued McDonalds (or BK, can't recall) for gaining weight, that lawsuit takes the crown, it was obviously dismissed in court. So I take it the are also suing absolutely every other phone manufactuter and storage media manufacturer?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post

Every single computing device that is sold always advertises the total storage capacity as opposed to the available capacity. This is nothing new and I definitely would not call it shady! It's just marketing.
    Microsoft Surface has a 32gb storage and 1/3 of it is the operating system. The available storage in all devices are really misrepresented and it doesn't make it right. If a company is able to sell more and charge more because of this then in the end the customers were misled.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 2014-12-31 at 09:26 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluprint For This Useful Post:

LeslieBee (2015-01-01), lilpetabread (2015-01-02)

Green Apple
    Thanks

If the courts sided with the hard drive industry that they could market 1TB hard drives that only hold 1,000,000,000,000 bytes (which is actually only ~931.3GB) instead of 1,099,511,627,776 bytes... I doubt this'll go very far.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was always under the understanding that the storage capacity listed is raw storage. Once you format and add a file system such as FAT32 or NTFS you loose space because of how the original space is allocated in the file table. Thus giving you less than the listed storage. Its been like that for the 15 years Ive been working with computers, and Im sure much longer than that

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
    I was always under the understanding that the storage capacity listed is raw storage. Once you format and add a file system such as FAT32 or NTFS you loose space because of how the original space is allocated in the file table. Thus giving you less than the listed storage. Its been like that for the 15 years Ive been working with computers, and Im sure much longer than that
    Your correct! That has been industry standard since computers were concepted. It's not a Apple issue, it's an industry issue. HHD, SSD's(Floppy and any type of flash memory)are always advertised in unformatted capacities.
    Last edited by Carvensno; 2014-12-31 at 11:46 PM.

Apples Bank account just seems to target idiots lol

I think what they're getting at is that each iOS version uses more and more storage, thus reducing user storage. Wouldn't be too much of a problem except that apple makes you install the latest version they are signing if you have a problem with your device and need to restore.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltons.iphone For This Useful Post:

LeslieBee (2015-01-01)

I hope they win so that way apple won't release crap like 16gb IOS devices or even worse - 8gb last years models or in emerging markets.

Like seriously that's a big jump from 16gb to 64gb. They should have 32gb as base model now and forget 16gb. It's just marketing games played by apple to suck out more margins at consumers expense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Intestineman For This Useful Post:

LeslieBee (2015-01-01)

Quote Originally Posted by Intestineman View Post
    I hope they win so that way apple won't release crap like 16gb IOS devices or even worse - 8gb last years models or in emerging markets.

Like seriously that's a big jump from 16gb to 64gb. They should have 32gb as base model now and forget 16gb. It's just marketing games played by apple to suck out more margins at consumers expense.
    +1

The manufacturing cost between the 16GB and the 32GB version is negligible. I'm sure Apple could afford to release a 32GB model at the price of a 16GB model. But Apple chose to maximize profits rather than customer satisfaction. The same could be said for the iPad versions... the people buying a 16GB tablet are very very few! I personally have seen only a handful of 16GB iPad devices in hand.. that too because they were office property or gifts... lol

Clearly the 16GB iPhone 6 and 6+ sales are down. I could easily find a 16GB unlocked version as a pick up option even in holiday season... but finding the other two was impossible unless ordered online.
    In India... 16GB iPhone 5S's were sold for prices lower than those in the States (before the 6/6+ Indian launch) while the 32/64 GB models were priced exorbitantly (850-1000$)... shows how unpopular the 16GB models are. The only way to sell them is to sell them dirt cheap of rope in a corporate firm to distribute them for free among employees!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jigar7 For This Useful Post:

LeslieBee (2015-01-01), WHUDS (2015-01-02)

Samsung S4 16GB has 8GB free space from factory. That's 50% from advertised. I hope this is all the defense shows the judge, then sits down.

The Galaxy S4 16GB has just 8.8GB of free space. When will device makers stop lying? | ExtremeTech

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dookie454 For This Useful Post:

Donnutt (2015-01-03)

WOW. Just want to delete my double post. LOL. I can report it.. but cant delete it?

So? Its wrong? Would you buy a dozen eggs and be happy with 10?
    pay for 10 gallons of gas but only get 8? Really I have been waiting for someone to do something about the lying, if its 114 GB not 128 then just tell us. Whats worse is the crap that Apple sells an unusable 8gb phone, really? They advertise the Iphone is used as a camera now, so how do you do that with 8gb or the joke of 16gb? Memory does not cost that much.

Apple needs a black eye over its practices. Offer Iphones starting at 32gb this is where it needs to start since you cannot expand memory.

This may change the industry to truthfulness over storage and its about time

Your missing the whole point. It's not wrong, it is the size of the raw data storage! Do you think that an operating system just uses zero space? This is the way it has been since the beginning of time for computers. So now after 40+ years your going to complain?

23%? Never lost that much on my phone... But, my friends who have Galaxies get WAY less than advertised, maybe these people should sue them too.

When I bought my last laptop it was less too. Maybe I should sue HP!

Not to mention that you guys are assuming that the entire space is for storage, there is a system partition that is typically a percentage of the raw storage space. Read the tech specs a little better and not just the advertised raw storage amount.

And stop whining.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 2015-01-02 at 05:22 PM.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2015-01-02), Carvensno (2015-01-02), rjr1124 (2015-01-04), xxmorosxx (2015-01-02)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

When I bought my last laptop it was less too. Maybe I should sue HP!
    HP? oh my.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    So? Its wrong? Would you buy a dozen eggs and be happy with 10?
    pay for 10 gallons of gas but only get 8? Really I have been waiting for someone to do something about the lying, if its 114 GB not 128 then just tell us. Whats worse is the crap that Apple sells an unusable 8gb phone, really? They advertise the Iphone is used as a camera now, so how do you do that with 8gb or the joke of 16gb? Memory does not cost that much.

Apple needs a black eye over its practices. Offer Iphones starting at 32gb this is where it needs to start since you cannot expand memory.

This may change the industry to truthfulness over storage and its about time
    As I said before, this is a industry issue! Who else remembers using 8" floppy disks or at least 4"floppies(500k or 720k memory size)

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Your correct! That has been industry standard since computers were concepted. It's not a Apple issue, it's an industry issue. HHD, SSD's(Floppy and any type of flash memory)are always advertised in unformatted capacities.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Why Memory Is Sold As Specific Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    As I said before, this is a industry issue! Who else remembers using 8" floppy disks or at least 4"floppies(500k or 720k memory size)
    Memory chips are normally only available as part of a card called a module. You've probably seen memory listed as 8x32 or 4x16. These numbers represent the number of the chips multiplied by the capacity of each individual chip, which is measured in megabits (Mb), or one million bits. Take the result and divide it by eight to get the number of megabytes on that module. For example, 4x32 means that the module has four 32-megabit chips. Multiply 4 by 32 and you get 128 megabits. Since we know that a byte has 8 bits, we need to divide our result of 128 by 8. Our result is 16 megabytes.

Just because an operating system uses some of the memory is no reason to specify the total memory as less.
    There needs to be a consistent reference of memory for comparison sake as well.
    What if the next version of your operating system used Less Memory than the current one?
    What if you switched from using Windows to using Ubuntu? (You would have more usable memory.)
    If the manufacturer allocated specific memory for the operating system, what happens when the user installs a newer operating system that is too big for the memory?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast