Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Enable the CarPlay UI on Your iOS Device for Free Without Expensive Equipment

Default How to Enable the CarPlay UI on Your iOS Device for Free Without Expensive Equipment

CarPlay is a feature in iOS that makes your device's main functions easier to use while in the car by providing a much simpler user interface that doesn't keep you as distracted as the normal iOS interface will while driving.

If you don't want to spend the money to buy really expensive CarPlay equipment for your vehicle, then you can still check out this awesome new free jailbreak tweak called Ignition by iOS developer Adam Bell, which will enable the CarPlay interface right on your iPad or iPhone 6 Plus at no cost to you.

With the interface enabled right on your iOS device, you can just mount it up somewhere in your car and enjoy the features of a simple UI for music, navigation, and much more. The tweak even lets you access Siri with a small button at the bottom left of the interface so that you can ask Siri questions while driving so that you don't have to do any typing.

To use the tweak after installing it, you will want to tap on the new "Ignition" application icon that is added to your Home Screen:

When you tap on the icon, your device will "respring." You will then be prompted to enter your passcode (if you have one), and once you put it in, you will be brought to the CarPlay UI on your iOS device:

Here, you can access Apple's own CarPlay-enabled iOS applications, as well as any third-party compatible CarPlay applications, such as Spotify. Here are some examples of the Music application and the Maps application in CarPlay mode:

If at any time you want to return back to the normal iOS interface, just tap on the "Ignition" application icon from the CarPlay user interface and your device will "respring" once again before returning you to your normal iOS Home Screen.

The developer recommends only using this tweak with an iPad running iOS 8, although he says that it will work alright on an iPhone 6 Plus even though it's not really meant for iPhones or iPod touches. If you want to give the tweak a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. You can even view the tweak's open source code on GitHub at this link.

Name: Ignition
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1.2, iPad or iPhone 6 Plus
    Tested on: iPad Mini with retina display running iOS 8.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Adam Bell
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-12-27 at 06:46 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (2014-12-27)

still needs a little work on an iPhone 6 anyway / Pause button doesn't seem to work w/ spotify and the icons are not resized properly. Good concept, though almost worth it just for landscape spotify

Quote Originally Posted by justreboot View Post
    still needs a little work on an iPhone 6 anyway / Pause button doesn't seem to work w/ spotify and the icons are not resized properly. Good concept, though almost worth it just for landscape spotify
    UI is all messed up on my 6 with Little Brother, and equally messed up on my 5S w/ barely any tweaks installed

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by justreboot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket101 View Post
    UI is all messed up on my 6 with Little Brother, and equally messed up on my 5S w/ barely any tweaks installed
    You both realize this tweak is made for iPad and 6Plus right? says right there in the article and requirements.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2014-12-27), LeslieBee (2014-12-27), LudaChris (2014-12-26), Rcworship (2014-12-27)

lol, it's a good thing that's a friendly tweak.... In the old days, installing on the wrong device could jam it up. Ultimately causing you to have to restore and re-jailbreak (providing you did not miss the window).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to psxcancer For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-12-26)

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    You both realize this tweak is made for iPad and 6Plus right? says right there in the article and requirements.
    reading is overrated

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBucket101 For This Useful Post:

LeslieBee (2014-12-27)

Actually, read the description in Cydia. It says: This is primarily mant for an iPad, and iPhones aren't really supported. (however you "can" use with an iPhone 6 plus if you really want to.)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

"The developer recommends only using this tweak with an iPad running iOS 8"

Installed on my iPad mini and it doesn't work 100%; the maps feature will allow me to search destinations, and even shows points A and B, but no map/streets in between. Cool preview of CarPlay... But eventually deleted after about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    "The developer recommends only using this tweak with an iPad running iOS 8"
    Thank you for pointing this out!

I tried to make sure that it was as clear as possible in my post that the tweak is really only for iPads, but that it would work on an iPhone 6 Plus. It doesn't imply at all that it will work on any other iPhones, as some other commenters are trying it on.

First, tall need to chill with the name calling. Second, I installed on my iPhone 6 and it works like a charm. I went through all the apps/menus but only fully utilized navigation-it's kinda cool. Now to think about making some cool in-dash mount for the iPad mini...

Mine isn't showing Beats Music even though that is a compatible app according to Apples own website.

Dont install on ipad 2, You have to have siri and if you install it on the ipad 2 it will get you stuck on an error screen saying to enable siri. Luckily I had cydia open in my multi tasking and was able to still access multitasking and uninstall the tweak.

Thanks

I wish it did have iphone6 support 😞 it's one tweak I'm really anxious to get.

Total crap on 6+
    Didn't have Cydia open in background. Had to Restore. Froze up on error screen and removed any functionality from phone.

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Love this! Anyone know if there is a way to get Waze or DashCommand loaded up?
    Works perfectly on my iPad Mini Retina and my iPhone 6+.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 2014-12-28 at 04:16 AM.

Doesn't work on my iPhone 6 plus locks it up and I have to boot into safe mode to uninstall it cause the car play UI is over everything and won't come down

its ok on ipad. but instead of apple map . love to have tom tom way better.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angel_92701 View Post
    its ok on ipad. but instead of apple map . love to have tom tom way better.
    Apple maps are TomTom?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks

Got it working near perfect on my iPhone 6 4.7 😀. I'll post a quick video soon👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast