Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Open in ProTube 2' Makes the ProTube App Store App Your Default YouTube App in iOS

Default 'Open in ProTube 2' Makes the ProTube App Store App Your Default YouTube App in iOS

Almost a month ago, iOS developer Jonas Gessner jumped from the jailbreak scene over to the App Store to release ProTube as an official application that all iOS users, jailbroken or not, could download to enjoy awesome new YouTube features that Google's YouTube application simply doesn't offer.

While the ProTube application is preferred over Google's free app by many, iOS still defaults to the YouTube application when you tap on YouTube links, and if the YouTube application isn't installed, iOS defaults to showing YouTube in Mobile Safari instead of ProTube. That stinks, huh?

If you want to make it so that YouTube links you tap on launch the ProTube application from the iOS App Store directly, then you need a new free jailbreak tweak called Open in ProTube 2 by iOS developer Jonas Gessner himself.

Although we just recently showed you a tweak that could do this already called YouTube to ProTube, you're more than likley going to prefer Open in ProTube 2 because it has fewer restrictions and more features and support. How? you may ask... good question...

Open in ProTube 2 doesn't require you to have Google's YouTube application installed simultaneously to having ProTube installed, so you can open YouTube links directly in ProTube even if you don't have Google's YouTube application installed. Additionally, Open in ProTube 2 works on iOS 5 and later, which means it supports more operating system versions than YouTube to ProTube does. And lastly... Open in ProTube 2 also supports the Cydia version of ProTube, and not just the App Store version of ProTube, whereas YouTube to ProTube only supports the App Store version of ProTube.

So for a long story short, if you're a ProTube fan, you will want this tweak so that you can open YouTube links in your preferred application instead of the ones you're forced to use when opening a YouTube link. It's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

If you haven't already purchased ProTube from the App Store, you can grab at at this App Store link for just $1.99.

Name: Open in ProTube 2
    Price: FREE
    Version: 2.0.2
    Requirements: iOS 5.0-8.1.2, ProTube
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Jonas Gessner
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (2014-12-14)

Thanks

how do i download from it? it dorsnt show an option

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Natty12 View Post
    All these tweaks are gonna be in Cydia. No direct download.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Default 'Open in ProTube 2' Makes the ProTube App Store App Your Default YouTube App ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty12 View Post
    If you mean downloading a video in protube, tap the up arrow at the bottom right. that reveals a menu with a download option.

edit: I'm talking about the cydia version. I don't know anything about the App Store version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    If you mean downloading a video in protube, tap the up arrow at the bottom right. that reveals a menu with a download option.

edit: I'm talking about the cydia version. I don't know anything about the App Store version.
    none are updated to ios8 though

Protube is iOS 8 compatible and so is the "open in protube" tweak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone envious86's Avatar
    Thanks

Shame there isn't a tweak to allow you to download in the AppStore protube. That would be sick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by envious86 View Post
    Shame there isn't a tweak to allow you to download in the AppStore protube. That would be sick.
    I'm not completely sure what you mean, but you can download videos in the AppStore version.

......beware......

Just downloaded and it doesn't work with Facebook video links to youtube.
    They still open in YT app, not ProTube HD.
    I have then Cydia version of ProTube HD btw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96gator View Post
    Just downloaded and it doesn't work with Facebook video links to youtube.
    They still open in YT app, not ProTube HD.
    I have then Cydia version of ProTube HD btw.
    This is for the AppStore version.

......beware......

iPhone? More like MyPhone envious86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I'm not completely sure what you mean, but you can download videos in the AppStore version.
    Really how do you do that? Can they be saved to the videos app too? Like the Cydia protube?

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    This is for the AppStore version.
    The article says its for both?

Thanks

Default 'Open in ProTube 2' Makes the ProTube App Store App Your Default YouTube App ...
    Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    The article says its for both?
    The article seems to suggest both now that I'm praying closer attention. The quote below was what threw me off. Weird that through the whole article and even the title he specifies the AppStore version and only in a later paragraph changes that.

Edit: but yes, it does appear that later in the article it says it's for both. Sorry for stopping partway through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If you want to make it so that YouTube links you tap on launch the ProTube application from the iOS App Store directly, then you need a new free jailbreak tweak called Open in ProTube 2 by iOS developer Jonas Gessner himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by envious86 View Post
    Really how do you do that? Can they be saved to the videos app too? Like the Cydia protube?
    There's no way to download it to the videos application as far as I know, but you can save them to the ProTube app. Sorry if I misunderstood. To download it to the app, first create a playlist. In the dialog box that pops up it'll ask if you want the playlist local. Select that option. Then to download a video, just add it to that playlist like you would normally.

......beware......

I just downloaded this tweak. It's not working for me and all the videos for it are old.