Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Lower Your Display Brightness Lower Than Apple Will Let You

Default How to Lower Your Display Brightness Lower Than Apple Will Let You

Have you ever wanted to dim your display even lower than the lowest brightness setting that Apple will let you use? Sometimes when you're in pitch darkness or when you have a migraine, even Apple's lowest brightness setting seems too bright.

A new free jailbreak tweak called Dim is now available in Cydia by iOS developer Thomas Finch that will fix this problem once and for all. The tweak works by artificially dimming your display past the factory brightness level; it achieves this by using a black screen filter overlay.

For example, when you set your display brightness to its lowest setting and you still feel it's too bright, you can use Dim to place a dark filter over your display to make it (appear) darker than it really is. It's like an artificial brightness setting on top of Apple's own hardware display brightness and can help with the overall visibility of the display in conditions when your eyes are sensitive.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can enable or disable the tweak on demand, configure a custom dim level, and even choose an Activator action to display the Dim control panel:

When you use the Activator method that you selected, this is the control panel that appears:

From here, you can enable or disable Dim on demand, as well as pick a custom dim level.

It's worth noting that because you're using a screen overlay, the dim effect will affect your screenshots, so it's actually really helpful that the developer has included this Activator-based control panel that can be accessed from anywhere so that you can quickly disable the tweak and then re-enable it when you're ready.

If you want to give Dim a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. The tweak is compatible with both iOS 7 and iOS 8, although it requires Activator to be installed.

Name: Dim
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-8.1.1
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Thomas Finch
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

This may be dumb, but does it have any impact in battery life either way?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    This may be dumb, but does it have any impact in battery life either way?
    No, it's just a screen filter. It's not drawing any less power by making it blacker.

Thanks

I have f.lux and it kills the battery. Mix it with th enable Siri anytime and it's like having a first gen iPhone battery life span ALL OVER AGAIN. Dead by ten am no lie.

Default How to Lower Your Display Brightness Lower Than Apple Will Let You
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post
    I have f.lux and it kills the battery. Mix it with th enable Siri anytime and it's like having a first gen iPhone battery life span ALL OVER AGAIN. Dead by ten am no lie.
    Really? I have been using f.lux and my battery is lasting all day, ipad is for days with f.lux?

I have it installed in Iphone 6, Ipad mini and mini 2, Iphone 5c and 5. Have not noticed extreme battery drain? Are you sure its this tweak?

As far as diming the screen to save battery, I agree there is a point when it does not matter.

The biggest user of your battery is Cellular then wifi and bluetooth
    Last edited by WHUDS; 2014-12-08 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks

I only run flux now when the power cord is plugged in. Kills it. 5s

I'm sorry to hear that f.lux has this effect on you, however this is not related to a Dim tweak.

As for the tweak, I find it useless since you can set up Zoom function in accessibility menu and choose Low Light filter which can be later called through accessibility shortcut (triple click on home button). Easy peasy.
    Last edited by N17REX; 2014-12-08 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to N17REX For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (2014-12-09)

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone know if the paid tweak Dimmer functions the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    Does anyone know if the paid tweak Dimmer functions the same way?

yes i like to know as well if there any benefit? i already have the paid version and it doesn't have the on screen brightness adjustment. but you can change the level in the setting.

Thanks

I use f.lux and it works just fine.

same here. though recently I feel like it's always enabled. screen always seems to have a bit of an orange tint. Maybe I'm just having a stroke.

Thanks

F.lux doesn't seem to use any extra battery on my phone, but I definitely don't leave the settings as high as the defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by N17REX View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that f.lux has this effect on you, however this is not related to a Dim tweak.

As for the tweak, I find it useless since you can set up Zoom function in accessibility menu and choose Low Light filter which can be later called through accessibility shortcut (triple click on home button). Easy peasy.
    Thank you so much. I've had to restore a phone twice because I downloaded a cydia app called dimmer that wasn't compatible . I was gunna download this app but decided to view the comments just in case there were warnings. This comment is gold.