Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Use Non-certified Lightning Chargers With Your iOS 8 Device

Default How to Use Non-certified Lightning Chargers With Your iOS 8 Device

Do you hate getting those annoying little alerts on your iOS 8 device whenever you attempt to charge up your device with a Lightning cable that isn't certified by Apple? It can be incredibly annoying because Apple wants an arm and a leg for their Lightning cables, while lookalikes and clones can be had all over the Internet by more than 90% cheaper than Apple's cost and many of us would rather buy and use the cheaper cables that they haven't certified just to save a buck.

When you try to use a non-certified cable, you will get alerts on your iOS device that let you know that you can't charge with it, or that problems may occur.

If you want to put an end to the pop-ups like the ones above once and for all, then you need to try a new free jailbreak tweak called Support Unsupported Accessories 8 by iOS developer tushaoye.

With this tweak installed, you are free to use and charge with any Lightning cable that you want to, no matter how incredibly cheap and un-certified it may be. There are no options to configure just install and enjoy.

Be warned though, that Apple implements these certified cable safes for a reason. It is to protect you, the consumer, from buying counterfeit Lightning cables or potentially unsafe Lightning cables that could ruin your device or cause self-harm to you. By using this tweak, you understand the risks that charging with third-party accessories can come with, including battery failure or possible electrical problems. Never buy a Lightning cable from a source that you don't trust.

Name: Support Unsupported Accessories 8
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.0.1-1
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1.1
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: tushaoye

Not sure if it is up but can not find it on cydia yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmina View Post
    Not sure if it is up but can not find it on cydia yet.
    You may need to refresh your sources. It's up and ready in Cydia right now .

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Do third party cables really have an effect on your device over time? What could potentially be dangerous?

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sami4021 View Post
    Do third party cables really have an effect on your device over time? What could potentially be dangerous?
    Never heard of people reporting of batteries exploding or iPhones catching on fire or overheating? A lot were reported when the iPhone 5 was released with the new connector. But all issues were due to 3rd party cheap cables or wall charges.

Is it only the alert that this tweak will remove or will it actually let me charge the iPhone with non Apple cables ?

I have a bunch of after market cables and haven't been able to change with them lately. The charging starts for a short while and after some time I notice that they stop with the balloon pop that that Accessory is not supported. Not sure if all those cables have gone bad or has apple implemented something recently that is avoiding the use of after market cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Never heard of people reporting of batteries exploding or iPhones catching on fire or overheating? A lot were reported when the iPhone 5 was released with the new connector. But all issues were due to 3rd party cheap cables or wall charges.
    Those reports were because of faulty plugs, not the actual cables themselves.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cooldesi View Post
    Is it only the alert that this tweak will remove or will it actually let me charge the iPhone with non Apple cables ?

I have a bunch of after market cables and haven't been able to change with them lately. The charging starts for a short while and after some time I notice that they stop with the balloon pop that that Accessory is not supported. Not sure if all those cables have gone bad or has apple implemented something recently that is avoiding the use of after market cables.
    I actually had the exact same issue, but with some luck and nice managers I was able to return them and get a certified one at BestBuy for cheaper than the non-certified.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

iPhone? More like MyPhone envious86's Avatar
    Thanks

My cable broke and I bought a 3rd party cable but used a certified plug and the cable ruined my battery and I had to send my phone off to be replaced. I rather just use the certified cables. They're more expensive but you get the satisfaction in knowing that you won't have hassle.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to envious86 For This Useful Post:

cpho (2014-12-04), echoes49 (2014-12-04), Silverado1987 (2014-12-04)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I dunno if the deal is still going out if it was even a local thing, but my BestBuy had 4' cables for under $10 certified. The brand name was Platinum and it looked to be a BestBuy in house brand.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nichonico View Post
    Those reports were because of faulty plugs, not the actual cables themselves.
    Agreed. All of those stories had used a third party charger and I believe none were in the US.

I use to have problems with my old iPhone (digital out to analog in) audio car connector with the old school iPhone connector and a Lightening adapter attached on an iPhone 5s. Every once in a while I'd get the erroneous error message that this device was not supported. Because sometimes it worked & sometimes it didn't. There was a previous Cydia tweak that did the same thing as this one did ... but was only from some very disreputable repo & the tweak hadn't been updated in years. Glad to see this new tweak. I'll be getting a new 64 GB iPhone 6 on Friday (thanks to T-mobile's Cyber Monday Sale!!!!) hopefully it will work well with my current car audio adapter. If not, happy to know this tweak exists!

Ok. Can anyone confirm this works w/ their third party connectors that did not work before? We're passing on shopping tips here, lets focus on an app review if it actually works or just removes a popup msg! Thanks in advance

With all these great shopping tips, the app may be a moo point. (Joeyism)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    Ok. Can anyone confirm this works w/ their third party connectors that did not work before? We're passing on shopping tips here, lets focus on an app review if it actually works or just removes a popup msg! Thanks in advance
    It does work with my 6+ and my iPad Mini Retina, no warnings, charging & connected.
    It does not remove the warning for unsupported accessories, nor does it claim to, just an fyi.

Thanks

As far as third party charging cables, it does work with my 6+, iOS8.1 and my iPad Mini Retina, iOS8.1, no warnings, charging & connected.
    It does not remove the warning for unsupported accessories (a card reader in my test), nor does it claim to, just an fyi.
    Last edited by luvmytj; 2014-12-04 at 06:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How to Use Non-certified Lightning Chargers With Your iOS 8 Device
    It didn't work on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air for a retractable cable I had bought back when the 5s had just come out. The only reason I kept the cable was specifically for this tweak, because it worked for me on iOS 7, so I was hoping it would be updated for iOS 8. Unfortunately it didn't work, so I don't know if I should contact the developer and wait for an update, or finally throw away this cable...

Quote Originally Posted by envious86 View Post
    My cable broke and I bought a 3rd party cable but used a certified plug and the cable ruined my battery and I had to send my phone off to be replaced. I rather just use the certified cables. They're more expensive but you get the satisfaction in knowing that you won't have hassle.
    Very True!

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

Have anyone verify it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoDaLoT View Post
    Have anyone verify it?
    Just read this thread for your answer. Several people including myself have given responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast