Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iOS Hacker MuscleNerd Says TaiG iOS 8.1.1 Jailbreak is Safe

  1. #1
    Default iOS Hacker MuscleNerd Says TaiG iOS 8.1.1 Jailbreak is Safe


    TaiG released a new Windows and Chinese-only jailbreak tool for jailbreaking iOS 8.1.1 this weekend despite the fact that iOS 8.1 was still being signed and that Pangu8 could jailbreak iOS 8.1.

    While we can confirm that the TaiG jailbreak works flawlessly to jailbreak iOS 8.1.1 devices, as we've jailbroken a few ourselves, many were steering clear of the TaiG jailbreak because TaiG has a sketchy past in the jailbreak community that is linked to piracy.

    Fortunately, iOS hacker @MuscleNerd has been spending some time looking into the tool to verify its safety for jailbreakers, and on Monday morning, the hacker took to Twitter to announce that TaiG isn't "unsettling," and that the untether and kernel were much more "transparent" than even the Pangu8 jailbreak that we've been using for weeks:



    So with that being said, if you haven't already updated to iOS 8.1.1 and jailbroken your device, you can now assume it's safe to do so.

    iOS 8.1.1 doesn't have too many improvements over iOS 8.1, so those that are happily jailbroken are safe to stay there if they would like. iOS 8.1.1 mostly includes fixes for the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 running iOS 8, although it also gives you back a little storage and fixes a memory leak issue in earlier versions of iOS 8, so some may want to make the jump since it's the newest, most secure, and most stable jailbreakable firmware to date.

    Our guide on how to jailbreak with TaiG for iOS 8.1.1 can be found at this link.

    Sources: MuscleNerd

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    bomb-blast (2014-12-01), buggsy2 (2014-12-02), cpho (2014-12-01), echoes49 (2014-12-01), linkincyde (2014-12-01), LudaChris (2014-12-02), novadam (2014-12-01)

  3. #2
    For those who want re-confirmation, well now you have it

  4. #3
    Content with 8.1... enough to wait for a Mac version of this JB, anyway. Good to know that it's approved.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

  5. #4
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Can someone explain what exactly the process @MuscleNerd is describing actually does?

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

    bomb-blast (2014-12-01)

  7. #5
    The author is making the assumption that since iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure than 8.1 (which is an assumption in and of itself), that the latest jailbreak maintains that level of stability and security.

    As it's been out only a few days, I'll wait thanks. No disrespect to musclenerd, but if it's not broken, don't fix it.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeslieBee For This Useful Post:

    flash66 (2014-12-02), novadam (2014-12-01), SpiderManAPV (2014-12-01)

  9. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieBee View Post
    The author is making the assumption that since iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure than 8.1 (which is an assumption in and of itself), that the latest jailbreak maintains that level of stability and security.

    As it's been out only a few days, I'll wait thanks. No disrespect to musclenerd, but if it's not broken, don't fix it.
    iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure than iOS 8.1. It closes more security holes and fixes glitches that were found in the previous version. It isn't an assumption that iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure – it's in the change logs, and multiple user experiences on forums across the Internet are there to back up this information, if you're willing to search for them.

    Apart from making the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 more stable, multiple (not just few) iOS 8.1.1 users are reporting additional storage space gains, as as well as fixes for memory leaks.

    I have been paying close attention to what the experts have to say about this jailbreak just because of the history of TaiG (it interests me to know that my own information is safe), and it's mostly built using bits and pieces that the Pangu8 jailbreak already implemented. It's not just MuscleNerd, but i0n1c and ih8sn0w (also prominent hackers in this community) have also been able to confirm that the jailbreak uses bits and pieces of the Pangu8 jailbreak and is safe for users:





    With that being said, it maintains much of the stability of the Pangu8 jailbreak since Apple failed to close ALL of the security holes that it used and adds some new exploit usages that needed to be used to jailbreak iOS 8.1.1 to make up for the security holes that WERE closed.

    I've been running the jailbreak since the release date and since all of Cydia and Saurik's other goodies are already iOS 8-compatible, there are no issues to report. Some jailbreak tweaks, like Springtomize, just needed to be updated to work with it.

    If you're willing to wait to see what happens, that's fair, but there's no denying the fact that iOS 8.1.1 is a better platform than iOS 8.1. As I mentioned in several of my articles, iOS 8.1 is a stable platform, but I make it clear that iOS 8.1.1 is still a better platform overall. It's optional to update because both are fairly usable and people don't really report problems in either of them.

    If at any time a restore is necessary because something goes wrong on a jailbroken device, I would recommend updating to iOS 8.1.1 instead of restoring back to iOS 8.1, which is still being signed at this point in time.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-12-01 at 10:59 PM.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    buggsy2 (2014-12-02), jsuddu0109 (2014-12-02)

  11. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kickerman65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 267 Times in 158 Posts

    I love how this site regurgitates every Twitter tweet that jailbreak devs post and use it as "NEWS".

  12. #8
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    It's great for those of us who don't have twitter nor the time and inclination to follow everyone relevant.

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

    Anthony Bouchard (2014-12-02), bomb-blast (2014-12-02), buggsy2 (2014-12-02), ChicagoV (2014-12-02), cpho (2014-12-02), magoo657 (2014-12-02), novadam (2014-12-02)

  14. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure than iOS 8.1. It closes more security holes and fixes glitches that were found in the previous version. It isn't an assumption that iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure it's in the change logs, and multiple user experiences on forums across the Internet are there to back up this information, if you're willing to search for them.

    Apart from making the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 more stable, multiple (not just few) iOS 8.1.1 users are reporting additional storage space gains, as as well as fixes for memory leaks.

    I have been paying close attention to what the experts have to say about this jailbreak just because of the history of TaiG (it interests me to know that my own information is safe), and it's mostly built using bits and pieces that the Pangu8 jailbreak already implemented. It's not just MuscleNerd, but i0n1c and ih8sn0w (also prominent hackers in this community) have also been able to confirm that the jailbreak uses bits and pieces of the Pangu8 jailbreak and is safe for users:





    With that being said, it maintains much of the stability of the Pangu8 jailbreak since Apple failed to close ALL of the security holes that it used and adds some new exploit usages that needed to be used to jailbreak iOS 8.1.1 to make up for the security holes that WERE closed.

    I've been running the jailbreak since the release date and since all of Cydia and Saurik's other goodies are already iOS 8-compatible, there are no issues to report. Some jailbreak tweaks, like Springtomize, just needed to be updated to work with it.

    If you're willing to wait to see what happens, that's fair, but there's no denying the fact that iOS 8.1.1 is a better platform than iOS 8.1. As I mentioned in several of my articles, iOS 8.1 is a stable platform, but I make it clear that iOS 8.1.1 is still a better platform overall. It's optional to update because both are fairly usable and people don't really report problems in either of them.

    If at any time a restore is necessary because something goes wrong on a jailbroken device, I would recommend updating to iOS 8.1.1 instead of restoring back to iOS 8.1, which is still being signed at this point in time.
    I respectfully disagree. There is no way to know with absolute certainty whether this is unquestionably a more stable and secure release, although we know that was the intent. The only thing we know for certain is that patches were made to known problems. We do not know what other changes were made, nor whether the patches may have created other security holes yet to be discovered. No matter how careful we are, sht happens! Neither Apple nor anyone else is going to give us an exact listing of all their code and everything they've done, particularly when it concerns security and stability. This is 30+ years of technical experience speaking here. (Besides, if it weren't for additional "errors", we might not even be doing jailbeaks today.)

    It was not my intention to insult you, nor to suggest you weren't well-informed. It is because you are informed and knowledgeable that I read your posts. My point was merely that blanket statements about improved stability, security, performance etc., should be avoided in general. Leave that to the marketing folks. As a hardware and software engineer, I deal in absolutes. If asked to bet my life on whether or not certain changes would unquestionably make a product more secure and stable, I would have to decline.

    Let me end by just saying that I think you and others at modmyi do a fabulous job, and a real service for the jailbreak community. I read the modmyi news every day without fail, and will continue to do so. Lastly, I need to post something in order to boost my status from green apple, so why not exercise my "Sheldonitis" once in a while. Hahahahahahah!!!

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeslieBee For This Useful Post:

    jsuddu0109 (2014-12-02), King_O_Hill (2014-12-02), novadam (2014-12-02), orangefreddie (2014-12-02)

  16. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieBee View Post
    The author is making the assumption that since iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure than 8.1 (which is an assumption in and of itself), that the latest jailbreak maintains that level of stability and security.

    As it's been out only a few days, I'll wait thanks. No disrespect to musclenerd, but if it's not broken, don't fix it.
    iOS 8.1.1 had memory leaks in safari that apple said they patched. I couldn't even use safari on 8.1 because it would crash every few minutes on my 6+. I had to use google chrome which was slow. Now that I'm on iOS 8.1.1 I can confirm that at least some kind of bug was fixed and it would be worth updating to iOS 8.1.1 and rejailbreak. There are always bugs, no one has written perfect code and no person will ever.

    The bug in safari, and I'm guessing at this because I'm not sure of legalities, probably required an updated version of safari. No developer would push out a new version of safari because it would probably violate licensed software and therefore would be pirating and open for Apple to own them for the next 2 eternities.

  17. #11
    @LeslieBee

    Great post! It was almost like you were reading my mind. Very well put. I agree that while Apple claims to have made it better, no one knows for sure. I always say to never use such confining statements and always leave yourself free to have more than one opinion.

    So what brings you to JailBreak your device? Tweaks, themes, development of other sorts???

    Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    LeslieBee (2014-12-02)

  19. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    I love how this site regurgitates every Twitter tweet that jailbreak devs post and use it as "NEWS".
    If you read it on the internet, you know it's got to be true.


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to LeslieBee For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (2014-12-02)

  21. #13
    Leslie, what would you like your title to say?

    Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

  22. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    So what brings you to JailBreak your device? Tweaks, themes, development of other sorts???
    The same thing that compelled me to make that post....I am a geek/nerd/etc. (And I'm afflicted with "Sheldon-itis")
    Basically, I just can't help myself. LOL!

  23. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Leslie, what would you like your title to say?
    Are you suggesting I might have a choice? hmmm... How about, "I'm not crazy—my mother had me tested."

  24. #16
    Let me see what I can do.

    Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

  25. #17
    My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    664
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked 152 Times in 110 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    I love how this site regurgitates every Twitter tweet that jailbreak devs post and use it as "NEWS".
    I actually do like this. I don't want to follow a bunch of Twitter feeds to get the occasional bit of useful info.

  26. #18
    Leslie, you got PM

    Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

  27. #19
    Default Wifi issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure than iOS 8.1. It closes more security holes and fixes glitches that were found in the previous version. It isn't an assumption that iOS 8.1.1 is more stable and secure it's in the change logs, and multiple user experiences on forums across the Internet are there to back up this information, if you're willing to search for them.

    Apart from making the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 more stable, multiple (not just few) iOS 8.1.1 users are reporting additional storage space gains, as as well as fixes for memory leaks.

    I have been paying close attention to what the experts have to say about this jailbreak just because of the history of TaiG (it interests me to know that my own information is safe), and it's mostly built using bits and pieces that the Pangu8 jailbreak already implemented. It's not just MuscleNerd, but i0n1c and ih8sn0w (also prominent hackers in this community) have also been able to confirm that the jailbreak uses bits and pieces of the Pangu8 jailbreak and is safe for users:





    With that being said, it maintains much of the stability of the Pangu8 jailbreak since Apple failed to close ALL of the security holes that it used and adds some new exploit usages that needed to be used to jailbreak iOS 8.1.1 to make up for the security holes that WERE closed.

    I've been running the jailbreak since the release date and since all of Cydia and Saurik's other goodies are already iOS 8-compatible, there are no issues to report. Some jailbreak tweaks, like Springtomize, just needed to be updated to work with it.

    If you're willing to wait to see what happens, that's fair, but there's no denying the fact that iOS 8.1.1 is a better platform than iOS 8.1. As I mentioned in several of my articles, iOS 8.1 is a stable platform, but I make it clear that iOS 8.1.1 is still a better platform overall. It's optional to update because both are fairly usable and people don't really report problems in either of them.

    If at any time a restore is necessary because something goes wrong on a jailbroken device, I would recommend updating to iOS 8.1.1 instead of restoring back to iOS 8.1, which is still being signed at this point in time.
    Does 8.1.1 fix the wifi issues that were reported and subsequent JB tweak was released to fix?

    Enjoyed the post and insight.

  28. #20
    What about Mac users. The new 8.1.1 JB is not compatible yet with Macs. Only PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •