Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Tweaks App Store "Free" Button for Free Apps to Say "Get" Instead

  1. #1
    Default Apple Tweaks App Store "Free" Button for Free Apps to Say "Get" Instead


    In an unexpected change Wednesday afternoon, Apple appears to have tweaked the download button that normally appears next to free applications in the iOS App Store. The download button, which used to read "Free" for applications that are free-to-download, has been changed to read "Get" instead, as shown above.

    As first spotted by 9to5Mac, this change is likely to help reduce confusion and take responsibility away from Apple for free applications that offer in-app purchases. By saying "Get," instead of "Free," Apple is no longer implicating that an application in the App Store with in-app purchases is still completely free of cost. Instead, it's entirely possible that a free-to-download application from the iOS App Store could cost you money down the road with subscription services or in-app purchases.

    Applications in the iOS App Store that are not free-to-download still show the actual cost of the application in the button for example, Shazam Encore still shows "$6.99" in the button used to download the application. Today's changes only affect free-to-download applications, such as the Google Drive application shown above.

    The same changes are prevalent in the Mac App Store, as free-to-download applications from the Mac App Store are also displaying a "Get" button instead of a "Free" button.

    Sources: 9to5Mac

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA + Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    653
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 128 Times in 87 Posts

    No way this lasts. I'm a reasonably well-educated guy, but I'm totally confused. I'm sorry, but in the English language free and get are only synonymous in the context of thievery.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

  3. #3
    That's the point. Most "free" apps aren't really free, because of all the in app purchases. So "get" is meant NOT to imply "free," and not to be a synonym for it.

  4. #4
    But....... In the Top Charts section, it says "Free" at the top. And if you get to the bottom and click see all,... The next page says "Top Free iPad Apps" at the top. I'm really confused!!??!!

  5. #5
    There should be three versions, the one with the cost, the one which is totally free with no in app purchase called free and ripoff for those with in app purchases. Get has to be the worst name Apple could have come up with, it will just confuse everyone

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

    abbdc1 (2014-11-19), echoes49 (2014-11-19), Jahooba (2014-11-20)

  7. #6
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Yeah "Get" is just weird.

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    There should be three versions, the one with the cost, the one which is totally free with no in app purchase called free and ripoff for those with in app purchases. Get has to be the worst name Apple could have come up with, it will just confuse everyone
    lol @ ripoff. I completely agree.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

    echoes49 (2014-11-19)

  10. #8
    This has got to be the most stupidest pointless **** in the world. Shouldn't Apple be fixing their countless security vulnerabilities with iOS and icloud, instead they change the "free" button to "get"... Wow Apple, you really outdid yourself on this one i wonder whose pulling all the strings to make this happen cause whoever did this needs a promotion immediately 🙊

  11. #9
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dee_maux View Post
    This has got to be the most stupidest pointless **** in the world. Shouldn't Apple be fixing their countless security vulnerabilities with iOS and icloud, instead they change the "free" button to "get"... Wow Apple, you really outdid yourself on this one i wonder whose pulling all the strings to make this happen cause whoever did this needs a promotion immediately 🙊
    What are you even talking about?

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  12. #10
    Apple iPhone is utterly crap but once jail broken it is undisputed champion so my advice to Sammy is create your own software or be blown to da next galaxy android? Or is it garbage
    Pangu pangu pangu

  13. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando, Florida, United States
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 60 Times in 44 Posts

    They should just change the category to top get apps LOL

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    That's the point. Most "free" apps aren't really free, because of all the in app purchases. So "get" is meant NOT to imply "free," and not to be a synonym for it.
    Huh?
    Free means I will be able to use or test drive without paying anything.

    Most apps have "in app purchase" now but its still a free app. I have a couple apps I paid the in app purchase for a feature but only bought what I needed.

    I think "get" is stupid and not cool

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    No way this lasts. I'm a reasonably well-educated guy, but I'm totally confused. I'm sorry, but in the English language free and get are only synonymous in the context of thievery.
    LOL! Best comment of the day, hands down.

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    There should be three versions, the one with the cost, the one which is totally free with no in app purchase called free and ripoff for those with in app purchases. Get has to be the worst name Apple could have come up with, it will just confuse everyone
    That pretty much says it all. I would like to add that no one is confused by the "free" button when "includes in-app purchases" is right there. People are just sick of the bait-and-switch nature of IAPs in general.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    What are you even talking about?
    What don't you understand... I'm mocking apple and there foolish antics if you can't understand a simple paragraph go back to grade school

  18. #16
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dee_maux View Post
    What don't you understand... I'm mocking apple and there foolish antics if you can't understand a simple paragraph go back to grade school
    Except there aren't any security flaws as you seem to be implying.

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

    bomb-blast (2014-11-20)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •