Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Walmart 'Will Never Accept Apple Pay'

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Walmart 'Will Never Accept Apple Pay'

It has been recently reported that high-profile retail company Walmart has decided against Apple’s new mobile payments system, Apple Pay. Walmart is one of the many retailers belonging to Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) that joined forces to develop their very own mobile payments system titled CurrentC. But new reports are also claiming that Walmart believes Apple Pay’s credit card transaction fees are too high to support. According to Re/code, Walmart “will never accept Apple Pay.” It was noted that MCX’s CurrentC has lower fees compared to Apple Pay. Re/code stated:

Since Apple Pay supports Visa and MasterCard credit cards, Walmart and other MCX retailers believe the iPhone-based payments service just perpetuates the traditional payments fee structure they despise. The MCX’s CurrentC app, on the other hand, favors transactions funded by store-branded cards or a connection with a customer’s checking account — all of which carry lower fees than credit card purchases.
    Apple has partnered with both MasterCard and Visa, which Walmart and various other retail companies feel have made the fees way too high. MCX includes big companies like 7-Eleven, Best Buy, CVS, Target, Rite Aid, and more. CurrentC is expected to be released sometime in 2015, so be on the lookout. We will update you guys as we get more information on the new service. If you would like to see the video, click on the source link below.

Source: Re/code

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

LoL "high-profile retail company Walmart."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CabooseLoL For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-11-11)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow... Just wow...

Summary: we would rather screw all of you by refusing to accept a payment method that is more secure and has no change in what we already pay. Instead we'd like you to use this completely BS payment system that offers no security features, saves you nothing, and costs us less.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-11-10), Rakim (2014-11-10), Zokunei (2014-11-10)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Wow... Just wow...

Summary: we would rather screw all of you by refusing to accept a payment method that is more secure and has no change in what we already pay. Instead we'd like you to use this completely BS payment system that offers no security features, saves you nothing, and costs us less.
    Also too their new app update. They support 1Password app but yet have to add support for Touch ID. Almost seems that they are total anti Apple for supporting features on the phone.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

Rakim (2014-11-10), SpiderManAPV (2014-11-10)

Just one more reason to add to the long list why you should choose to never shop at Walmart.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kotin6006 For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-11-10), dannyrocket (2014-11-14), SpiderManAPV (2014-11-10)

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

This has political undertones all over it; conservative vs. liberal.

Not really a problem for me, since I refuse to step foot into that hillbilly heaven.

That corporation is evil, by the way. They treat their employees like crap, from workers compensation to wage and hour claims.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eballesq For This Useful Post:

dannyrocket (2014-11-14), Rakim (2014-11-10)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    Not really a problem for me, since I refuse to step foot into that hillbilly heaven.

That corporation is evil, by the way. They treat their employees like crap, from workers compensation to wage and hour claims.
    I will agree with you on almost everything. As far as employment different positions have different requirements and hours. A lot of the in store positions like stockers and cashiers are only P/T work for ease of scheduling. I worked in the Tire Lube Express myself and was full time with benefits. But yes? Lately I have tried to avoid Wal-Mart like the plague lol just to busy and crowded all the time. Plus this now of them avoiding NFC payment system.

Green Apple
    Thanks

My problems with this are two-fold:

1) Is Walmart (or any other retailer) planning to STOP accepting Mastercard and Visa? How does Apple Pay perpetuate Mastercard and Visa any more than actual Mastercards and Visas do? The only thing not accepting Apple Pay does is annoy customers that don't want to carry their cards in the wallet, and may deflect customers away from stores that don't accept NFC payments in general.

2) It's my understanding that Apple Pay partners with the issuing banks - aren't most store cards also issued by an underwriting issuing bank? Is there anything stopping the banks that are backing, for example, the Walmart store charge card from joining Apple Pay? For that matter, if Apple Pay doesn't, couldn't they partner with an existing competitor with a working solution, like Softcard or Google Wallet? I would think that something could be figured out...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PCYoda For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-11-10)

Personally, I support the idea of these companies not incorporating Apple Pay in their business. After all, why give Apple the monopoly when there can be some good competition that ultimately benefits the consumer in the long-run?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sysb1 For This Useful Post:

Rondon360 (2014-11-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sysb1 View Post
    Personally, I support the idea of these companies not incorporating Apple Pay in their business. After all, why give Apple the monopoly when there can be some good competition that ultimately benefits the consumer in the long-run?
    They aren't only blocking apple pay. In order to support apple pay all you need is an NFC chip, which means they're also blocking google wallet and softcard. In essence this means that they are in fact creating the bigger monopoly by only allowing you to pay with their prescribed method instead of allowing the consumer to choose.

Tl;dr they're creating monopoly not stopping it.

......beware......

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

That would be a valid point... if there were to be any benefits to the consumer. The problem is they (MCX) are only in it for saving themselves money. Apple is offering Apple pay for free to the consumer, and charging the businesses for the added business they bring via supporting their payment system.

It's basically a form of advertising. If Walmart and Target were next door to each other or even remotely the same distance from me I would go to Target who accepts Apple Pay over Walmart every time. Anyways, that's just me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DirtyDan For This Useful Post:

Don't enough people hate Walmart already? Too bad that's the main store of the town I live in, otherwise I'd never go there. They should enable NFC payments, end of story. Wish these companies would stop doing deals with MCX. I'm sure once MCX launches, not many will use it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodles46 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
    Apple is offering Apple pay for free to the consumer, and charging the businesses for the added business they bring via supporting their payment system..
    Actually, even that isn't true. They aren't charging the company anything. Apple is only charging the banks who've promised not to charge the retailer any extra. There's literally 0 difference to the retailer as opposed to simply taking a credit card. Guess that .05% if that per transaction really is putting a strain on Walmart finance.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles46 View Post
    Don't enough people hate Walmart already? Too bad that's the main store of the town I live in, otherwise I'd never go there. They should enable NFC payments, end of story. Wish these companies would stop doing deals with MCX. I'm sure once MCX launches, not many will use it.
    Gotta give them credit for the great rep they're getting from beta testers though.

"Hey! I heard you tried the MCX thing! How is it?"

"Oh it's great! Got hacked in the first couple weeks! You totally gotta check them out."
    Last edited by SpiderManAPV; 2014-11-10 at 10:34 PM.

......beware......

I don't own an iPhone 6, this doesn't affect me. They will assimilate into the borg eventually.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

WalMart's going to do what's in the best interest for WalMart. They don't give two sh*ts about the consumer. MCX has given them the promise of millions of customers with litttle / no fees. They don't care that ApplePay has the same cost as accepting VISA/MC, they just don't want to take a chance on loosing on the free revenue that MCX has promised is coming by accepting ApplePay and getting kicked out of the club. Period!

much misinformation. such wow.

Contactless payments have been out for over a decade now. Google Wallet has been using NFC for the past 3 years. Apple all of sudden starts using NFC and you're saying why give Apple the monopoly?

Not only is Walmart and most of the rest of MCX shutting out Apple Pay, they are also shutting out Google Wallet and all softcard forms of payment. If it weren't for Apple Pay, NFC payments would still remain relatively irrelevant. It wasn't until Apple came out with Pay, that a surge in use happened for Google Wallet.

I've also read some bank forums, particularly USAA and NavyFed, of people complaining/asking why they don't have a service like Pay available on their Android phones, not realizing that Google Wallet is available to them, although a half-baked attempt in comparison with Pay. Not only that, but NFC is only available in certain high end Android phones.

So yeah, by walmart refusing Apple Pay, they are also refusing Google Wallet and soft card.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 674 Posts

How can Wallmart and Best Buy ethically do this. Don't they sell Apple products for profit?
    That said, Why don't we organize a weekend boycott of all the major retailers that refuse to support Apple pay.
    Later,@hip5

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Just don't buy anything at Walmart ever. They are part of the problem in corporations and society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by CabooseLoL View Post
    LoL "high-profile retail company Walmart."
    And who is larger?

Quote Originally Posted by ridingsupreme View Post
    Just don't buy anything at Walmart ever. They are part of the problem in corporations and society as a whole.
    And Apple? ( Can't believe these statements) SMH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast