Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Free Tethering on Your iOS 8 Device? Two Major Tethering Giants Are Now iOS 8-ready

I have tethered on Verizon using MyWi since 2010 without issue. I don't pay much attention to the usage (grandfathered into unlimited), and average between 10-12GB a month. I've never received a notice or anything about the usage, I don't think Verizon does that like AT&T.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    I think I'm missing something...do these apps add anything if u don't have unlimited and are using a device that has instant hotspot already enabled for use?
    You're not missing anything. I just switched to a modern AT&T plan that includes tethering for free so no longer need MyWi, and thus removed my main need for JB. Though as Anthony said, MyWi does provide another option or two to Apple tethering.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

talkin73 (2014-11-09)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I prefer pdanet. They advertise that they hide your tethering! I don't want to lose my unlimited data. I don't use tethering often but it's nice to have if I absolutely need it. I never use it unless I have to though.
    Tetherme hides it too. Mywi does NOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mmbayed View Post
    I have att unlimited data and had it for a long time. I used mywi for years, I think starting 2010 or '11, and I occasionally got the message that att will change my plan to limited data if I don't stop tethering. Eventually in jan 2014 they changed my plan to limited data and I ended up having to pay about 40$ more per month for the data I was using. I think I averaged about 5-7 gigs a month since forever. After a 100 phone call complaints and several written letter complaints att called me in July to tell me that they received my complaint and they will be changing my plan back to unlimited. I got my unlimited back but it wasn't easy. They also credited me back for all the data surcharges for the time I had limited data. Point of this post. I will not be using mywi anymore because I will lose my unlimited data plan and I really don't want that to happen.
    Do NOT use mywi! It does not hide the tethering like pdanet and tetherme does. I got the same messages and switched to pdanet and never got them again.
    Last edited by sheltons.iphone; 2014-11-08 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I prefer pdanet. They advertise that they hide your tethering! I don't want to lose my unlimited data. I don't use tethering often but it's nice to have if I absolutely need it. I never use it unless I have to though.
    Hide the fact that u r tethering but if u have a limited data plan the data is still being used, correct?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Everyone knows AT&T and Verizon both have free tethering now right? ( mobile hotspots)
    Really? My unlimited plan requires a $30 option if I remember correctly.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Default Need Free Tethering on Your iOS 8 Device? Two Major Tethering Giants Are Now ...
    I have been using tethering on tmobile network for about a year on my jailbroken iPhone 5s Device and never had a problem never got billed and can't since I'm prepaid. Been on two road trips from Chicago to Florida using xbmc all the way there and no problem..
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    AT&T unlimited data plans don't have a tethering option. If you want to tether you need a tiered data plan starting at $50 per month just for the data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    Hide the fact that u r tethering but if u have a limited data plan the data is still being used, correct?
    Yes, that's correct. Most of the carriers now either outright allow tethering or offer it for a small monthly fee. Only the old unlimited plans restrict tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    I have mobile sharing with family
    30 gb enough for four people

on my outdated Unlimited plan:

I never went over 5gb
    They track you and throttle you
    They will try to catch you tethering

I can tether without worry now
    I have about 7 gb more than enough for phone and tablet

If given a way AT&T will do away with the grandfather plans once there is a small number still on them

For those who may not be aware, MyWi does wifi-to-wifi tethering. The built-in Personal Hotspot only does cellular-to-wifi tethering. Why does that matter? If you buy wifi on a plane (GoGo) or in a hotel on one of those daily passes, you can share out your wifi to other devices. I buy airplane wifi once and can re-broadcast it to the rest of my family. We all get wifi for the price of one.

Secondly, airplane wifi charges more for tablets/laptop than smartphones (typically $12.99 vs $7.99). I can buy a day pass on my iPhone and rebroadcast it to my iPad. That's a $5 savings for each use.

I am unsure if TetherMe does this. But I know for sure that Personal Hotspot does not. My single $20 purchase and using MyWi for the past 4 years have totally been worth it!

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

A. I asked a Friend about the free tether and apparently on Verizon and ATT the rules have changed, and Tethering is "Free" of course it uses the Data on your plan.

B. I personally used MyWi for like 3 years on my unlimited data plan and never got a warning letter or anything for that matter.

C. I'm still going to MyWi I like the control you have over the stock tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    A. I asked a Friend about the free tether and apparently on Verizon and ATT the rules have changed, and Tethering is "Free" of course it uses the Data on your plan.

B. I personally used MyWi for like 3 years on my unlimited data plan and never got a warning letter or anything for that matter.

C. I'm still going to MyWi I like the control you have over the stock tethering.
    tethering is only free on AT&T on mobile share plan, all others require a fee as far as I know

When I'm a work for a 12 hour day is, there a way to say, reverse tether my iPhone to my work pc to gain Internet through\from that PC to my iPhone? That Way I'm not using up all my data on my data plan checking out all the sweet tweaks in Cydia?

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Need Free Tethering on Your iOS 8 Device? Two Major Tethering Giants Are Now ...
    Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
    When I'm a work for a 12 hour day is, there a way to say, reverse tether my iPhone to my work pc to gain Internet through\from that PC to my iPhone? That Way I'm not using up all my data on my data plan checking out all the sweet tweaks in Cydia?
    If your work computer has a wireless chip, yes. There are some free programs. One I've used in the past is MaryFi.

Edit: to clarify, I mean wireless as Wi-Fi, not cell signal.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Tizocman View Post
    I can't use that as i still have my unlimited data plan from when i got the original iphone

I bought mywi ages ago and since then have used my intensely both for primary connection method when my Cable (the physical cable) got cut when mowing the lawn and nobody noticed for a week (the southwest has outages often) and when out with my teenage sister when visiting who has a limited data plan which is insane if you think about how much internet use a teenage girl will go thru in a single day let alone a whole month. i also jailbroke my parents phones and used the same mywi license so my parents who also have unlimited data could share that with my sister who can go thru GB in hours not months

Random note: on the first day we lost internet when we cut the cable on accident I went thru 50gb

they can not legally change your plan without your consent as most plans contract based

When i deal with AT&T i record the interaction and clearly say I am not consenting to a change in plan or contract simply using the upgrade to obtain a new phone and extend my contract

They have tried to trick my father (family plan as we can't change plans or we would lose unlimited data) into changing but I clearly told never to go to att or anything without me or to let me do it

if they con you into letting them change it, its done and they won't change it back, from my understanding in store people dont even have ability to return unlimited data plans
    Unlimited data by AT&T is trotted and most users know this, they hang on the the unlimited data only cause its says unlimited. the newer data plans are better because its not trotted, and you get much more for your money, now i have both iPad and iPhone connected for even less than the unlimited plans and with faster data. when i checked the data it is way more than what i was actually using vs unlimited. You guys could be just robbing yourselves by thinking unlimited is so good. The data plans are so much now that it is like unlimited anyway and also it will hit to even higher gigs with more options, you guys should just check it out, i am not asking you to change your plans just take a look at your options you will be getting and your usage, you might just get better bandwidth, this is on AT&T im talking about. Im much happier now that I have all the data across the board and with free wifi hotspots across the city, once your using AT&T it will be free.
    Last edited by IChi1d; 2014-11-10 at 04:55 PM.

Yeah, my job looks down its networks as most businesses do. We can't have access to the company wireless especially for jailbroken devices. So I was wondering if we had a tethering option. Kind of like, the 2 to tethering tweaks we have to share our Internet from our iPhones (it would be great if you could switch it from giving to receiving mood). Essentially it would just suck Internet from the PC, to your iPhone using the USB Cable (and not asked for administrative rights, that's a must).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    AT&T unlimited data plans don't have a tethering option. If you want to tether you need a tiered data plan starting at $50 per month just for the data plan.
    Ahhhh, but Verizon unlimited does have the optional fee for grandfathered unlimited plans. Pretty sure it was $30 for it.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by IChi1d View Post
    Unlimited data by AT&T is trotted and most users know this, they hang on the the unlimited data only cause its says unlimited. the newer data plans are better because its not trotted, and you get much more for your money, now i have both iPad and iPhone connected for even less than the unlimited plans and with faster data. when i checked the data it is way more than what i was actually using vs unlimited. You guys could be just robbing yourselves by thinking unlimited is so good. The data plans are so much now that it is like unlimited anyway and also it will hit to even higher gigs with more options, you guys should just check it out, i am not asking you to change your plans just take a look at your options you will be getting and your usage, you might just get better bandwidth, this is on AT&T im talking about. Im much happier now that I have all the data across the board and with free wifi hotspots across the city, once your using AT&T it will be free.
    I just recently dropped 3 unlimited data lines and have the 30gb plan now. My monthly bill is $70 cheaper and we never hit 30gb in a single month.

I'm saving money, can tether and get all of my data at full speed. Tell me again what did I lose?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12