Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Faces a Potential Recall as 128 GB iPhone 6 Users Continue to Face Issues

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Faces a Potential Recall as 128 GB iPhone 6 Users Continue to Face Issues

Several iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners have been complaining about an issue with their device that causes it to crash and remain stuck in a boot loop after restarting. The issue tends to be one for those who have 128 GB models, particularly those with larger app libraries. This has led many to believe that the issue is one that has to do with a hardware problem that is associated with the larger storage devices.

Although the exact cause of the issues haven’t been determined, speculation from industry contacts who spoke to BusinessKorea suggests the problem may lie in the controller for the TLC (triple-level cell) NAND flash included in the device. This particular piece of hardware is new to the iPhone as Apple previously used MLC (multi-cell) NAND flash in its iPhone units. As of right now, the only way to help solve the issue is to bring their device back to Apple and request a replacement.

The report claims that Apple may be facing a “huge potential recall” to address the issue but the claim is purely speculative given that the problem hasn’t been established and an exact cause remains undetermined. Although Apple’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have generally been praised since their launch, the devices seemed to have experienced quite a few issues related primarily to software. Apple’s iOS 8.0.1 update had issues with disabled cellular service and Touch ID on the new iPhone models. Other reports claimed that the new iPhone lineup had several Bluetooth connectivity issues. Although several issues have been patched, the constant crashing remains persistent.

We’ll have to see if Apple does anything to address the issue or what ends up happening by being patient.

Source: BusinessKorea via GforGames

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Wow, I have a iPhone 6 Plus 128 Gb with 99 Apps on it (not including my new Cydia tweaks . I couldn't imagine having that many Apps stored on it. I wonder what the actual number of people that are effected by this?

Got 6+ with 150 apps. No issues thus far...

Fingers crossed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Googly2moogly For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-11-06)

Default Apple Faces a Potential Recall as 128 GB iPhone 6 Users Continue to Face Issues
    The original "report" said it was only affecting people with the 6+ (makes no sense, same hardware)... and the users had well over 500 apps, which is asinine. Could it be like computers, when you don't leave that necessary amount if space in the HD?

I'm a bit skeptical of this report from "industry contacts" that originated in Samsung's backyard.
    Last edited by ChicagoV; 2014-11-05 at 11:01 AM.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoV For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-11-06)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Articles in the past about this issue were people with 700+ apps on their phone. I know a phone should work no matter what? But having 700+ app on your phone is just "STUPIDITY"! I have about 120 apps on my phone and 50%-60% I use on a regular basis, others here and there, and the other 20 apps(games) I use when bored(Dr appts and etc...).

Wow I'm actually glad I sold my 128gb iPhone 6 and bought a 64gb plus.....I find that 64gb is a good enough storage size for a phone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to christophmsc For This Useful Post:

scroogelives (2014-11-05)

Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
    Wow, I have a iPhone 6 Plus 128 Gb with 99 Apps on it (not including my new Cydia tweaks . I couldn't imagine having that many Apps stored on it. I wonder what the actual number of people that are effected by this?
    99 apps but rebooting ain't one?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

ABOSWORTH (2014-11-06), jsuddu0109 (2014-11-05), Sage I (2014-11-05), Will719 (2014-11-06)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoV View Post
    The original "report" said it was only affecting people with the 6+ (makes no sense, same hardware)... and the users had well over 500 apps, which is asinine. Could it be like computers, when you don't leave that necessary amount if space in the HD?

I'm a bit skeptical of this report from "industry contacts" that originated in Samsung's backyard.
    I certainly dont have 500+ apps but my iPhone 6+ 128gb got stuck in the loop.

Did several DFU modes and used the Reiboot tool to kick it out of the loop.

The did a restore and put the iOS on again.

Was a bit of a pain !

Quote Originally Posted by Googly2moogly View Post
    Got 6+ with 150 apps. No issues thus far...

Fingers crossed.
    What the hell do you need 150 apps for? Ahah crazy

No reboot issues on my 6 but my iphone is getting so hot and draining my battery around 1% a minute. I even updated to 8.1 to try and solve it and have had to restore 5 times but it still keeps getting hot. Taking it in to Apple this weekend. Hopefully they will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by jery911 View Post
    What the hell do you need 150 apps for? Ahah crazy
    I have 161 apps to be exact and I use most of them. So far no reboot on my ip6 128gb.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Still amazes me how many people think that the size of THEIR phone (display/hd) or the number of apps THEY have on THEIR phone is all anyone else needs. Get over yourselves! Just because you aren't creative enough to need more or take a lot of pics because you have no friends/lives to document doesn't mean I don't. :P :P :P

iPhone 6, 128 gig, 643 apps, 14,885 pics, 145 videos, 0 songs.

Crossing fingers that I don't develop the issues above.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I realize it sounds absurd, but there are reasons for having so many apps on one's phone, particularly given how unsophisticated iTunes is for managing installing, uninstalling, and updating applications. It offers no way of doing so according to any grouping or collection system.

Ergo, as someone who reviews and compares apps, I find it more practical to leave them installed and organized into subfolders (my number one reason for jailbreaking) so I can monitor the progress developers make as they leapfrog each other in design and functionality. At the moment, I have 1,604 apps installed on my iPhone 5.

I say all this because I have run into this crashing and endless reboot problem on non-jailbroken phones before. I have never even found an Apple employee who has seen testing with a large number of apps or seen phones with many over a thousand. At my last conversation with an iPhone product manager, I was made to understand the problem often occurred around 1,800 apps. I had 2,000+ apps at the time, and I now keep well under the 1,800 app number mostly out of suspicion rather than believing there is a magic number. My phone is stable at that number.

Prior to this point, I have thought processor speed was leading Springboard processes not to timeout before they could enumerate all the items in the Springboard. That is the sort of thing an iPhone 6 should do handily. So I can safely say a 64GB iPhone 5 (not 5s) is fast enough on iOS 7 with a healthy ARMload of jailbreaks to enumerate over 1,600 apps and run largely without complaint, given you are even modestly judicious about disabling background updates for some of the apps you don't need doing it constantly.

So either they broke something even further in iOS 8 so it is vastly more incompetent with large numbers of apps, or there is a memory addressing problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone 6 Plus 128 gig
    341 apps
    No issues

Unless apple tells people before purchase there could be problems with their iPhone working if they install more than "x" number of apps, then people should be able to expect it to work. I have about 50 apps and don't have more because I just lose track and don't use them. I find that I use apps more if I have only enough installed over which I, personally, can maintain visibility. Given how much Apple hypes up the number of apps available in the App Store and the sandboxing of apps (which may provide some OS stability but contributes to the reason users may need separate apps for each and every thing) they should expect that some people will install a lot of apps. Even though it wouldn't work for me, users with hundreds of apps should darn well expect their iPhone to work. Bummer the problem exists. Kudos to Apple for replacing these, if the issue is indeed hardware. That's the kind of service people should expect from a company that wants to be respected for providing quality products and good service. As to whether it turns into a big recall we will see what happens. They've sold 10 million of these suckers, maybe more by now I can't keep up. It's naive to believe there won't be defective units though something widespread would obviously be more of a hassle for Apple and customers.

Iphone 6 128gb 134 apps
    cydia about 8 apps

No issues

I got the Space Grey 128GB iPhone 6 Plus and I have over 500 apps installed on my phone. So far, I haven't had any issues like this.

Thanks

Put down your phones and go outside

Quote Originally Posted by andybond View Post
    I certainly dont have 500+ apps but my iPhone 6+ 128gb got stuck in the loop.

Did several DFU modes and used the Reiboot tool to kick it out of the loop.

The did a restore and put the iOS on again.

Was a bit of a pain !
    I had this happen 3 times, only after jail breaking though on 3 separate ocassions

I have an iPhone 6+ 128 gb, got it the week after released and have not had an issue. Works perfectly ☺

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast