Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Swype Keyboard for iOS Updated With Several Improvements

I love swipe. It is one of the reasons why I stuck with Android since the iPhone 4s aside from a bigger screen.

I'm using a 6+ and my only issue is that occasionally after leaving an app the keyboard won't load when I come back to the app, and end up having to close it and restart it. It's happening less with each update, though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Do any of the alt keyboards let you use Siri dictation (the mic button) or is this a limitation of Apple?

One thing I absolute love about Swype is the ability to bring up a numb key keyboard. So much easier entering zip codes, tracking numbers, credit card numbers, etc. Cheers to that alone!
    Last edited by edwilk55; 2014-11-05 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks

I've used the stock iOS keyboard so much that I'm pretty sure I will never type faster with any keyboard on any device.

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    Do any of the alt keyboards let you use Siri dictation (the mic button) or is this a limitation of Apple?
    From the Apple custom keyboard guide:

System Keyboard Features Unavailable to Custom Keyboards

Your custom keyboard does not have access to most of the general keyboard settings in the Settings app (Settings > General > Keyboard), such as Auto-Capitalization and Enable Caps Lock.

There are certain text input objects that your custom keyboard is not eligible to type into. First is any secure text input object.

Your custom keyboard is also ineligible to type into so-called phone pad objects, such as the phone number fields in Contacts.

An app developer can elect to reject the use of all custom keyboards in their app. For example, the developer of a banking app, or the developer of an app that must conform to the HIPAA privacy rule in the US, might do this.

Because a custom keyboard can draw only within the primary view of its UIInputViewController object, it cannot select text. Text selection is under the control of the app that is using the keyboard.

Custom keyboards, like all app extensions in iOS 8.0, have no access to the device microphone, so dictation input is not possible.

Finally, it is not possible to display key artwork above the top edge of a custom keyboard’s primary view, as the system keyboard does on iPhone when you tap and hold a key in the top row.
    tl;dr: Apple doesn't allow dictation or a number of other things in custom keyboards.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 2014-11-06 at 03:53 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I've used the stock iOS keyboard so much that I'm pretty sure I will never type faster with any keyboard on any device.

From the Apple custom keyboard guide:

tl;dr: Apple doesn't allow dictation or a number of other things in custom keyboards.
    Thank you for the info. 👍

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12