Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Now is the Time to Upgrade to iOS 8.1 and Jailbreak, Do it Before iOS 8.1.1 is Released

I was unable to update via iTunes when 8.1 first came out so did an OTA.
    1. What are my options, if any?
    2. If I can reset to 8.0 then upgrade again to 8.1....how do I go back to 8.0?
    3. If I am SOL, does that mean I have to wait for an 8.1.1 jailbreak (not that 8.1.1 is out yet)?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffS4 View Post
    I was unable to update via iTunes when 8.1 first came out so did an OTA.
    1. What are my options, if any?
    2. If I can reset to 8.0 then upgrade again to 8.1....how do I go back to 8.0?
    3. If I am SOL, does that mean I have to wait for an 8.1.1 jailbreak (not that 8.1.1 is out yet)?
    You can't go back to 8.0 once upgraded to 8.1. Did you try a DFU restore in iTunes? My guess is it would work fine for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ggab For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-11-05)

The only bad thing about staying where u r is that u will loose updates to some apps as some are only able to work on iOS 8

@spotted

5. The Following User Says Thank You to itouch24 For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-11-05)

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedBilagaana View Post
    Let me get this straight…

You're suggesting I upgrade to I OS 8, which contains maybe a couple of features I might want. Meanwhile, I get to lose all but a few of my 40 jailbreaks in iOS 7.

Add to this the fact that the new jailbreak has been out, what, a week or so? That's not nearly enough time to get stable, especially considering we've all been advised not to use it until now. Meanwhile Apple is busy preparing yet another update to fix the things that are broken in their current release. Hmmm...

There is a wise saying which fits this situation:
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
    I disagree with much of what you say, but no one is suggesting you do anything.

I mean, this is the FIRST sentence of the article, FFS:

"If you've been waiting to update to iOS 8 and jailbreak it until Pangu becomes more stable, then now is a pretty good time to go ahead and make the leap."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-11-05)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedBilagaana View Post
    Let me get this straight…

You're suggesting I upgrade to I OS 8, which contains maybe a couple of features I might want. Meanwhile, I get to lose all but a few of my 40 jailbreaks in iOS 7.

Add to this the fact that the new jailbreak has been out, what, a week or so? That's not nearly enough time to get stable, especially considering we've all been advised not to use it until now. Meanwhile Apple is busy preparing yet another update to fix the things that are broken in their current release. Hmmm...

There is a wise saying which fits this situation:
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
    Have you checked the compatibility list in the last day or so? It's gotten quite extensive.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-11-05)

Thanks

Sooo I JUST received my iPhone 6+ in the mail should I just update it to 8.1 via iTunes then Jailbreak? I also have been away from Jailbreaking since iPhone 4...xD...Soo not sure if any of the tweaks i used back then are in use now...I guess I will see once I log back into Cydia :P

Been happily using Windows Phone until a few 8.1 bugs were annoying me. Turned out to be an issue I would have had to send it in to get easily fixed, only problem was I was out of warranty =\ So I am a new iOS dev and decided to go big and have a device I can test my apps on.
    Last edited by Z4n7h3r; 2014-11-05 at 09:06 PM.

Update to 8.1 and jailbreak it with Pangu 1.2.....here is a current list of supported tweaks, so you can decide, if it is worth it....

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/publishe...d4095ac3a277ac

Could someone clarify me the following :
    Lets say I have iOS 8.1 jailbroken with pangu, and then Apple release iOS8.1.1 and I restore to that new version, so would I be able to restore an itunes backup made on ios8.1 jailbroken to the new ios 8.1.1, could I restore with no problems? even If the restored backup was made having the jailbreak?, thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Update to 8.1 and jailbreak it with Pangu 1.2.....here is a current list of supported tweaks, so you can decide, if it is worth it....

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/publishe...d4095ac3a277ac
    I would have to see what a lot of them do. Like I said I haven't been in the know of iPhone jailbreaking tweaks since iPhone 4 lol But thanks for the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Dudu8 View Post
    Could someone clarify me the following :
    Lets say I have iOS 8.1 jailbroken with pangu, and then Apple release iOS8.1.1 and I restore to that new version, so would I be able to restore an itunes backup made on ios8.1 jailbroken to the new ios 8.1.1, could I restore with no problems? even If the restored backup was made having the jailbreak?, thanks
    You would be able to restore from the backup made while you were jailbroken on 8.1 without a problem. When I got my iPhone 6 I restored from my jailbroken backup on iOS 7.1.2 just fine. All were restores from iCloud.

Thank you ggab! Going to jailbreak right now!

Let's have the Mac version then soon too, please

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah now is the time to come out on Mac so I can jailbreak

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

While I agree that 7.1.2 is more stable than 8.1, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me why you'd hold off on jail breaking the newest firmware.

Do you plan on staying on iOS 'whatever.x.x' forever?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-11-06), SpiderManAPV (2014-11-06), vXBaKeRXv (2014-11-06)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It´s been asked and not answered yet…
    any news of a Mac version of pangu ? No Way I'm going to add the hassle of jb from a Pc (even an emulated one) to the hassle of upgrading my 7.1.2 JB iPhone 5.

In my experience, upgrading, restoring or setting up an iphone from another computer (or session for that matter) than the one used on a daily basis is a lame idea.
    The idea is that an iphone is made to be paired with one computer, right?

Please feel free to prove me wrong.

And thanks for all of you modmy team and contributors for the useful work you do for the community.

Ps: by the way, any feed-back from iOS 8 on iphone 5 ? Reactivity, battery life etc.

Default Now is the Time to Upgrade to iOS 8.1 and Jailbreak, Do it Before iOS 8.1.1 i...
    You don't need to "pair" your 5 to the windows machine. You can restore it on the Mac side, set up as new. Skip through Apple ID and passcode stuff. Then plug it into the windows side to JB.

I agree it's a hassle to set up your phone from scratch, but I believe the latest Cydia installer is forgiving when restoring from back up.

I have a 5s that I pangu'd and haven't had any issues with it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chevymusclecar For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-11-06), Gcruz (2014-11-06), SpiderManAPV (2014-11-06)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi chevy,

Thanks for the answer, your process looks fine indeed. Still have to put my hands on a pc though.

Ps: off topic but I'm still waiting for an answer to my mails regarding your theme ;-)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dazibao357 For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-11-06)

Updating to the latest iTunes on windows because I can't JB according to pangu unless I have the most recent iTunes.. and updating my Mac to the IOS 8.1 software to restore and start fresh.. Hate my internet connection. It's gonna take 11 hours for the software to download :/

You mailed me?? Hit me up here bro.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I'd put vast sums of money on that if Pangu wasn't released and the jailbreak community was asked at New year's if they'd have preferred for some devices to have safari crash for a period of 2 weeks but have a jailbreak since October that over 75% of people would be in the "Oh HECK yeah" category.

Off topic: is that sentence grammatically correct? It seems extremely long, yet I'm not sure how to split it.
    Sorry I was really drunk when I write that, surprised I didn't write it in Russian.. Anywho here's some periods for you..... The world sure isn't full enough of those lol :-)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ynoteh For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-11-06)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast