Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Now is the Time to Upgrade to iOS 8.1 and Jailbreak, Do it Before iOS 8.1.1 is Released

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ynoteh View Post
    Personally I'd have been fine waiting 7 months for the Dev Team to come out with a Jailbreak, they'd have used that time to work out most of the bugs than release it after only one month and have us have to deal with the bugs.. I know I won't be wasting my time wrecking my phone with the many headaches that are associated with this premature jailbreak..
    I'd put vast sums of money on that if Pangu wasn't released and the jailbreak community was asked at New year's if they'd have preferred for some devices to have safari crash for a period of 2 weeks but have a jailbreak since October that over 75% of people would be in the "Oh HECK yeah" category.

Off topic: is that sentence grammatically correct? It seems extremely long, yet I'm not sure how to split it.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

thazsar (2014-11-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

^Hahahaha!

Default Now is the Time to Upgrade to iOS 8.1 and Jailbreak, Do it Before iOS 8.1.1 i...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I'd put vast sums of money on that if Pangu wasn't released and the jailbreak community was asked at New year's if they'd have preferred for some devices to have safari crash for a period of 2 weeks but have a jailbreak since October that over 75% of people would be in the "Oh HECK yeah" category.

Off topic: is that sentence grammatically correct? It seems extremely long, yet I'm not sure how to split it.
    Heck yeah bring It!

BTW how many versions were there for IOS 7 JB? I remember at least 3?
    I remember Bugs too. 😇

How many versions of 6?

I Think people are complaining too much. Love the JB!
    Last edited by WHUDS; 2014-11-05 at 07:12 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WHUDS For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-11-05)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Heck yeah bring It!

BTW how many versions were there for IOS 7 JB? I remember at least 3?
    I remember Bugs too. 😇

How many versions of 6?

I Think people are complaining too much. Love the JB!
    There was only Evasi0n and Pangu in terms of separate jailbreaks. I find the Evasi0n change log interesting however.

1.0.7: fix problem where bundled repository package information could not be refreshed/updated by Cydia, updated bundled Cydia package lists
    1.0.6: support for iOS 7.0.6
    1.0.5: support for iOS 7.0.5
    1.0.4: security fix: kernel payload now restores sysent table, security fix: code fix for bootstrap Cydia tar files verification
    1.0.3: updated bundled Cydia, now double checking hfs modifications (for the iPad Mini Retina Cellular reboot loop issue), support for iOS 7.1beta3
    1.0.2: fix for the iPad 2 wifi reboot loop
    1.0.1: TaiG is not bundled and not installed anymore with evasi0n7 in chinese language operating systems
    2, 3, 4, and 7...

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by vXBaKeRXv View Post
    Lmao
    I'm happy 7.1.2 for another year
    My experience with the 7.12 jailbreak was that it was much "buggier" than the new 8.x.
    And the battery drain that 7.1.2 jb was is gone. I have at least 25% longer now with 8.x jailbreak.
    The longer battery life could of course be related to the iOS 8.1 itself and not the new jailbreak.
    I have not experienced any issues after latest jb update. A lot of the tweaks are up and running on 8.1.
    And if u have tweaks u can't live without, just check if it's been upgraded to 8.1
    I can at least guarantee you get a longer battery life by updating.
    The longer battery life is something I experienced on all my devices.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to worldwebber For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-11-05)

No all the tweaks arent caught up it seems jailbreaking has faded a bit and seems alot of devs arent updating tweaks

Sent from space

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    if your happy with your Jailbreak on iOS 7.x.x ignore this article

Edit: the Pangu iOS 8 jailbreak is still very buggy, best to let iOS 8.1.1 come out and see if they release a better jailbreak
    Hmmmm not sure which JB you used but I had nor do I have no issues with my JB. There are not a lot of cydia apps updated to support 8.1 yet but the JB is just fine...... stop spreading FUD.

On a list with ca. 670 tweaks/apps then 428 are confirmed working, 65 partial working and 173 not working.
    I think that's shows the opposite of what you write. That is 63% of the apps/tweaks working and the jailbreaj is released 14 days ago.
    The list with 670 cydia apps is of course not complete, but it's all the important ones and a good documentation that many devs are still committed to the jb environment

12. The Following User Says Thank You to worldwebber For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-11-05)

Quote Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
    Question: If I've never updated my phone OTA, do I really need to bother with DFU, or can I just go ahead and upgrade to 8.1 via itunes, the normal way?
    Why not just start with a fresh DFU install? It takes no more time in the long run and it eliminates issues.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rkswat For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-11-05)

I would guess it is the download time of the Ipsw. I'm not sure but isn't the iTunes update just the addition, not the full Ipsw file?

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Hmmmm not sure which JB you used but I had nor do I have no issues with my JB. There are not a lot of cydia apps updated to support 8.1 yet but the JB is just fine...... stop spreading FUD.
    Try reading through the posts before having a go
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-11-05 at 10:57 AM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

I read this whole thread. Usually I restore phone from iTunes, set up as new, then jailbreak and start from scratch reinstalling things one by one. I am reading how so many people restore from backup with no issues and that could save user allot of time resetting up device. There r many mentions of the process in here n I am not sure which one is the most recommended. Restore - set up as new- JB- then restore from backup or Restore iphone- then restore from backup- then JB. Does pangu team recommend one way over the other?

Allot of talk about DFU mode restore in this thread but no links to describe how to perform that method to be certain u r getting a clean restore. Allot of posts come up with Google search but anyone from this community have the clean method on this recommended DFU restore? I just updated phone 6 to 8.1 to not loose the JB window. Was waiting on MAC version but I guess I can use work pc to jailbreak on windows.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    I'm gonna have to wait on this unfortunately. I have an app on my phone that I need for work and I can't use it while jailbroken. Until Flex 2 is updated for user installed apps, I'm stuck for now.
    WoW I am in same boat as you. I have a company app that detects JB and instructs me to remove company application. I usually keep phone JB and run company app off touch and use tether all the time. Annoying but from what u r saying there is a way to fool company app of your JB device using Flex2...well when it gets updated of course.
    Can u go into more detail on how u go about that?
    Last edited by itouch24; 2014-11-05 at 11:54 AM.

DFU:

hold sleep button for five seconds, then hold the home button while still holding the sleep button for ten seconds, then let go of the sleep button; but keep holding the home button for a further ten seconds

Edit: your iDevice needs to be connected to your computer
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-11-05 at 12:08 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

itouch24 (2014-11-05)

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Hmmm. Sounds like a hassle. Especially signing back into every single app and setting notification preferences again after setting up as a new device. Starting to wonder if it's going to be worth it...
    Much work and my 7.1.2 is still perfect

I can see only page 1 (out of 4) of the comments, what's the problem with modmyi.com?
    No matter if I click page 1, 2, 3 or 4, still the same page 1 anyways...

So... I just did this to 4 devices (iPad Air, iPhone 5/5S/6), all on iOS 8.1 and Pangu 1.2. Fresh iTunes restore, no backup restores...

iPad and 5S/6 perfect.

iPhone 5... Not so much. I lost almost all stock apps and gained a blank called 'PreBoard'? And Siri can't find my missing apps. Lol she just told me I don't have the App Store installed...

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    DFU:

hold sleep button for five seconds, then hold the home button while still holding the sleep button for ten seconds, then let go of the sleep button; but keep holding the home button for a further ten seconds

Edit: your iDevice needs to be connected to your computer
    Shouldn't have to have it plugged in already.

Default Now is the Time to Upgrade to iOS 8.1 and Jailbreak, Do it Before iOS 8.1.1 i...
    Quote Originally Posted by matakibiker View Post
    Shouldn't have to have it plugged in already.
    you have to have your iDevice plugged in, or you will not get into dfu mode

Edit: I think your thinking of recovery mode, which is different
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-11-05 at 03:45 PM.

So for all of those that were wondering why we had recommended a full DFU restore WITHOUT restoring from a backup to jailbreak, it was simply to protect you.

However, Saurik has updated Cydia Installer Wednesday morning to make it so you no longer have to avoid restoring from a backup. You can read more here:

http://modmyi.com/content/16978-saur...up-issues.html

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-11-05)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Yesterday I updated my iphone 5 to 8.1 and jailbroke it with no problem. I really like the new UI of 8.1.

Let me get this straight…

You're suggesting I upgrade to I OS 8, which contains maybe a couple of features I might want. Meanwhile, I get to lose all but a few of my 40 jailbreaks in iOS 7.

Add to this the fact that the new jailbreak has been out, what, a week or so? That's not nearly enough time to get stable, especially considering we've all been advised not to use it until now. Meanwhile Apple is busy preparing yet another update to fix the things that are broken in their current release. Hmmm...

There is a wise saying which fits this situation:
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast