Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T and Verizon Announce Voice Over LTE Interoperability for 2015

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T and Verizon Announce Voice Over LTE Interoperability for 2015

Both AT&T and Verizon, the two largest carriers in the US, recently announced that they plan to allow Voice Over LTE connections between customers on the two competing networks starting in 2015. VoLTE interoperability is scheduled to arrive in 2015 though the companies didn’t say exactly when. This connection which is supported by Apple’s new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus provide superior call quality compared to traditional cellular voice calls.

Engineers from both carriers are said to be working through a full set of requirements, starting with extensive testing in lab environments before moving on to field trials. The efforts reportedly lay the foundation for other features such as video calls and rich messaging through interoperability.

Chief technology officer at Verizon, Tony Melone, had the following to say regarding the matter:

Interoperability among all VoLTE providers takes connectivity to the next level with HD quality voice and additional features that customers want. We're pleased to be working with AT&T as our first interoperating carrier, and we look forward to working with other operators as VoLTE continues to grow.
    As of right now, AT&T has launched VoLTE services in initial markets with more planned to come. Verizon introduced its Advanced Calling 1.0 services across the US previously in September. If you’re a Verizon user with an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, you can take advantage of Advanced Calling 1.0 HD Voice and Video calling by adding free services to their account via the carrier’s website. If you’re an AT&T customer, support will automatically be made available when connected in a supporting market.

If you’re device and network is compatible, you can navigate to the Settings app on their iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus and select “Cellular -> Enable LTE -> Voice & Data” to turn on the feature. As of right now, AT&T and Verizon customers who enable the VoLTE feature will only be able to establish a connection with other supporting customers on the same network.

AT&T Labs and Chief Technology Officer, Krish Prabhu, had the following to say regarding the matter:

Interoperability of VoLTE between wireless carriers is crucial to a positive customer experience. Customers expect to be able to connect anywhere, anytime- and as LTE technology continues to evolve, it's imperative that we provide a seamless experience between carriers. We are pleased to work with Verizon on this initiative.
    Are any of you excited to use the feature?

Source: AT&T, Verizon via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I like that they have estimated finish times, yet don't even know what will be required to make them compatible.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Didn't apple advertise that the iPhone 5 would've been able to do this when they announced it?

So does that mean I can call my home computer via land line and play unlimited HD quality music from that server streamed for free? I have unlimited voice calls.

Quote Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
    So does that mean I can call my home computer via land line and play unlimited HD quality music from that server streamed for free? I have unlimited voice calls.
    Thats why YAWN, guess its useful when you have no service in an area, but that means no signal, so whats the big deal? WIFI and Skype will work then
    Last edited by WHUDS; 2014-11-04 at 11:01 PM.

It's live in my area I live in Atlanta