Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FTC Suing AT&T Over Throttling Unlimited Data Plans on Customers

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    damn!!!! O_o
    It made downloading iOS 8.1 a blast. Especially after it got to 90% the power went out and restarted the download...

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Default FTC Suing AT&T Over Throttling Unlimited Data Plans on Customers
    Great job FTC! :-) Unfortunately, I have to agree with the earlier posters that AT&T users will never get what they were promised. They'll probably get a $2.50 voucher towards their next monthly-share plan bill. But at least it's setting a precedent that US telcos can't get away with what was essentially a bait & switch tactic by AT&T with unlimited data users.
    Last edited by csglinux; 2014-10-29 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Good for them! AT&T screwed us for having the plan. It's time they get screwed in return...

Wait! I see the results. One of the largest corporations on the planet with $60B in liquid assets will get a slap on the hand pay $10m. Boo hoo. And they will keep screwing customers over whenever they can and we will all let them.

They outright stole my plan from under me. When the iPhone came out with a teathered button in settings, i didn't know AT&T didn't allow teathering without some different plan. 2 months later my phone bill is an obserd amount and when I called they said that they turned my plan to a set limit because I was teathering. Even though I never signed any no-teathering plan, it was added after the fact(I been with them forever) Long story short, I argued and complained to everyone I could for about 4 months till I just gave in and pay for 15gb. They just doubled the data for no extra charge now though

What about Verizon? Don't they throttle as well?
    Last edited by nealh; 2014-10-29 at 02:55 PM.

So will this take a few years ? What kind of time frame would something like this take realistically

Thanks

Would be nice if they were actually punished. What is a 1 billion dollar fine to a company that was going to purchase Tmo for 30-40 billion? Peanuts. All this does is confirm what we already knew they have been doing.

This made my morning
    I used to post this on AT&Ts FB page at least once a week until they blocked me haha

un·lim·it·ed
    /ˌənˈlimitid/
    Adjective
    Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
    (of a company) Not limited.
    Synonyms
    boundless - unbounded - limitless - infinite

I'm sick and tired of AT&T throttling my "Unlimited" Internet connection.

For those of you who don't understand what throttling is here is an example with something a little different
    Imagine you want to drive to Las Vegas for the weekend and you live in San Francisco so you rent a car and you pay for "Unlimited" miles
    So its 8:00am on friday and you and your friends hop in the rental car and hit the road now lets say you average 65mph (on my phones unthrottled connection I average 3.5 Mbps ) and since SF to Vegas is around 566 miles away you are estimating that the trip is going to take around 8.5 hours
    so you drive and drive and drive
    6 hours into the trip you see a sign that reads Las Vegas 165 miles
    So you should be there in 2.5 hours right?
    Wrong!
    You drive another mile and your speed starts dropping and dropping and dropping and everyone in the car
    Is now in panic mode thinking the car is broken
    Your odometer now reads 400 miles and you are in the middle of nowhere doing 1.48 Mph (when I get to the 3gb mark my phones throttled Internet connection is .08 Mbps )
    WTF???

You call the rental company and you explain your situation
    They tell you that's normal when you buy the "Unlimited" plan
    It happens after 400 miles of driving

So you keep driving
    Remember you are now doing
    1.48 mph
    What was supposed to take you 2.5 hours is now going to take you 112 hours
    It's 2:30 pm on friday now so this means you should be making it to Vegas on Wednesday at 2:30am

And this my friends is what throttling is.

I think it's BS and it should be illegal.

Default AT&T will just change the wording in their contract
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    End result in 4-5 years:

AT&T will acknowledge they were wrong and completely end unlimited data plans for everyone.

US government will impose a fine of $500,000,000-$1,000,000,000 on AT&T and customers will get ZERO of it.

Existing customers on grandfathered data plans will get a $50-$100 one time credit.
    AT&T will probably just change the wording in their fine print to say they're going to throttle unless you opt-out. Case closed, most customers will continued to be screwed. Then there will be another subtle change that says you can have your grandfathered unthrottled plan for the life of your current contract or device.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrfn555 View Post
    ...For those of you who don't understand what throttling is here is an example with something a little different
    Imagine you want to drive to Las Vegas for the weekend and you live in San Francisco so you rent a car and you pay for "Unlimited" miles...
    Loved your analogy!

Its about time i hate it when i get throttled for going over 5 Gb it slows me down to 0.64 Though on a lighter note it never stopped me from tethering to my xbox 360 and playing cod black ops 2 i get 3 bars in the game and a moderate nat works great and i love to piss off AT&T i use PDA NET from cydia the best hidden tether app i Jailbreak all my iDevices but some times i use MyWi 7 that really pisses AT&T off because they can detect it and they always call and tell me that they're going to change my plan if i keep on doing it and i tell them to F*** off that when i got unlimited internet back in the day there was no such rule in the user agreement stating i couldn't tether nor can they do anything about it that they can kiss my A**

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iGost For This Useful Post:

Assassination (2014-11-01)

About time. AT&T has throttled me down to a half meg up and down every month and trying to get me to switch to a plan that cost 140 when I pay 104 now and I always use more than 10gbs per month. What a rip off. Get their greedy butts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12