Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'PreThree' Increases the Resolution of App Icons on the Home Screen for iPhone 6 Plus

Default 'PreThree' Increases the Resolution of App Icons on the Home Screen for iPhone 6 Plus

Just like from the transition of the standard display iPhone 3GS to the retina display iPhone 4, the new iPhone 6 Plus with its 401 PPI retina HD display is suffering a similar crisis where application developers are taking their sweet ol' time updating their applications for the higher resolution. We recently showed you a new jailbreak tweak called ForceGoodFit, which would force applications to adjust to the @3x resolution, but while this works alright, it still leaves the Home Screen application icon looking fuzzy.

Here to help fix this problem is a new free jailbreak tweak called PreThree by iOS development team HASHBANG Productions. This tweak will try to fix the fuzziness of your Home Screen application icons on the iPhone 6 Plus by using the higher-resolution iTunes artwork for the application instead of the developer-issused Home Screen application icon artwork. The tweak automatically configures the .PNG image as an @3x .PNG image and smooths it out for the retina HD display.

In case you're unfamiliar with the fuzziness, or you've never noticed it before on your iPhone 6 Plus, check out this photograph of a fuzzy application icon vs. an optimized application icon while in Zoom mode on an iPhone 6 Plus:

As you can see, the PayPal application icon, which has not yet been optimized for the resolution of the iPhone 6 Plus, is fuzzy and pixelated, while the Parcel application icon, which has been optimized for the resolution of the iPhone 6 Plus, is nice and crisp and clear.

PreThree would fix this by using PayPal's iTunes album artwork as the application icon on the Home Screen instead of the regular application icon. Since it's a higher resolution, it would appear much clearer on the Home Screen of the iPhone 6 Plus.

PreThree only updates the icons of applications that have not yet been updated. When the developer finally does update the application with an optimized application icon, PreThree will stop modifying that application's icon. Additionally, it's worth noting that sometimes the iTunes artwork is not always the exact same as the application icon, so you might have to deal with some inconsistencies.

If you want to give PreThree a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. iOS 8.x is required to install the jailbreak tweak, as is an iPhone 6 Plus. There are no options to configure just install and enjoy.

Name: PreThree
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1, iPhone 6 Plus
    Developer: HASHBANG Products
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (2014-11-02)

I'll try this. Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is not the right thread, but have all the Touch ID, boot loop, and Cydia issues been resolved? I was waiting for the jailbreak to come out before upgrading, so I don't know if I should wait a little longer or not...

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    I know this is not the right thread, but have all the Touch ID, boot loop, and Cydia issues been resolved? I was waiting for the jailbreak to come out before upgrading, so I don't know if I should wait a little longer or not...
    Pangu has not officially patched this issue yet.