Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reddit Acquires Most Popular Unofficial iOS Client, Alien Blue

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Reddit Acquires Most Popular Unofficial iOS Client, Alien Blue

The popular iOS Reddit client, Alien Blue, was recently acquired by Reddit itself for an unknown amount. Going forward, the software will be positioned as the online community’s official reader. Furthermore, the app’s lone developer, Jase Morrissey will be brought on board as part of the deal.

It should be noted that Alien Blue won’t be rebranded under the Reddit umbrella which before today only included the Reddit AMA- Ask Me Anything app. Instead, it will leave that choice up to users. Ellen Pao, the head of Strategic Partnerships at Reddit had the following to say regarding the matter:

Our whole philosphy (sic) has been to give our users choice. We've got the reddit AMA app, and Alienblue (sic) coming out... but we really want users to use whatever they want. We think Alienblue is great, and it's the most popular reddit app on iOS. We wanted to be able to offer it as a reddit app, and we wanted to help Jase with additional resources to do everything he wanted to do with it.
    The App Store rights will be transferred from Morrissey’s iTunes account to Reddit’s. As a result, existing users will have to download the app again while those who upgraded to the “Pro” version feature set will need to repurchase the app. For the next week however, Reddit is waving all “Pro” in-app charges granting both existing and new users free access to advanced features such as support for multiple accounts, accelerometer-based viewing and post filtering. Furthermore, the company is also making the iPad version free as they continue to work towards a universal app.

Last but not least, Alien Blue’s name will remain the same for now, supplemented by “Reddit Official Client,” the app’s logo has been tweaked in the transition and takes on a new logo with lowercase “r” positioned in the top left corner.

Those of you interested in downloading the 21.8 MB Alien Blue app can do so for free from the iOS App Store.

Source: iTunes via TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I use BaconReader and I really can't see using any other reddit app. I'd have to imagine that Reddit not choosing BR is probably because Sprint bought OneLouder last year (who develops BR). BR has a larger userbase too, as far as I know.