Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'TypeAndTalk' Enables Typing While You're Using Apple's Siri Dictation Feature

Default 'TypeAndTalk' Enables Typing While You're Using Apple's Siri Dictation Feature

iOS includes a handy feature called Siri Dictation, which allows you tap on a button on the keyboard and then start talking to make iOS write out what you're saying for you. The only real downside to this feature is that you can't type and talk at the same time instead, the waveform animation takes up the keyboard so that you can't type while you're recording your voice, as shown above.

A new free jailbreak tweak called TypeAndTalk by iOS developer PoomSmart is now available in Cydia that will allow you to use Siri Dictation and type at the same time. The tweak uses an existing feature in iOS that has been hidden by default, and makes it available to users.

To enable the tweak after installing it, you can head over to Settings > General > Keyboards > Type & Talk and enable the feature, as shown below:

After being enabled, the next time that you go to use Siri Dictation on your keyboard, you will not be interrupted from typing by the waveform animation, and instead, you can just keep typing even while you're speaking, to make typing each faster.

If you want to give the tweak a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. The tweak is open source, so if you want to see the tweak's source code, you can head over to GitHub via this link.

Name: TypeAndTalk
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: PoomSmart
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't get it... What real use is this? Do you say the second half of your sentence while typing the first to make it faster?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I don't get it... What real use is this? Do you say the second half of your sentence while typing the first to make it faster?
    I'm assuming this makes it function like Dictation on the Mac, so if that's the case, I like being able to see it as I'm speaking, and if I pause, it continues listening, but allows me to collect my thoughts? Sometimes I haven't fully formed the sentence in my mind, so it helps to see it, instead of having to constantly start and stop dictation to see the results? Also, I'd say it would make for much easier inclusion of punctuations?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HovikGas For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-10)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    I'm assuming this makes it function like Dictation on the Mac, so if that's the case, I like being able to see it as I'm speaking, and if I pause, it continues listening, but allows me to collect my thoughts? Sometimes I haven't fully formed the sentence in my mind, so it helps to see it, instead of having to constantly start and stop dictation to see the results? Also, I'd say it would make for much easier inclusion of punctuations?
    Makes sense I guess.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-10-10)

Thanks

Seems a bit like rubbing your belly while patting your head at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by sage i View Post
    seems a bit like rubbing your belly while patting your head at the same time...
    lol!!