Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Purported iPhone 6 Prototype Hits Ebay With Insanely High $94k+ Bids

Default Purported iPhone 6 Prototype Hits Ebay With Insanely High $94k+ Bids

A supposed prototype of Apple's iPhone 6 has hit the Ebay auctions by Ebay user kimberlyk1018. Bids of the device are exceeding $94,000, and will continue to grow.

The Ebay user claims that the device was shipped to them by accident from Verizon and that the Lightning port is red and comes with all the necessary paperwork. The device also isn't running iOS 8; instead, it appears to run software that is similar to some prototype iPhones in the past.

For sale is a brand new never used Apple iPhone 6 Prototype. Apple does NOT let these phones out of their possession yet I was accidentally sent one upon renewing my contract. As you can see from the photos, iOS8 has not been placed on this device, rather it is in the true developer mode. There are no FCC markings on the rear of the device or a model number. This is the real deal!!! The lightening port is red which is a sure sign of a prototype. This device is being sold as is. I cannot guarantee that it will make calls or that the camera will work. However I can guarantee you that the device is a 64gb iPhone 6 which was sent to me from Verizon. The device comes with the box, charger, headphones and wall charger as well as all the paperwork. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. This is a once in a life time opportunity for you to take a part of.
    Some of the user's images:

As MacRumors reports, the device has not been confirmed, apart from the seller, to be authentic and could very well just be a dummy phone.

Sources: Ebay via MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

If it legit? Apple will order eBay to stop it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (2014-10-06)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Wow, almost up to $100,000.00 Amazing.

I don't get why people go crazy over these things? $98,000 in bids?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hogcia For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-10-06)

I can only imagine how insanely high those eBay and PayPal fees will be, if Apple doesn't stop it first.....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justinpotter81 For This Useful Post:

MOJO5873 (2014-10-07), Silverado1987 (2014-10-06), TDH Advocate (2014-10-06)

Lucky guy I'm hoping Apple doesn't stop it. It's not everyday someone gets this lucky so I'm routing for him to sell that phone and hopefully use the money to better his life.

Let me guess, #1 bidder's handle is "SamsungR&D"?

I kid, I kid!

Seriously though, Who would spend so much money on such as thing, especially since it'll get taken away if they are caught with it and they could potentially face gail time!

This sale will never go through. More likely the person put it on ebay for attention and will eventually sell from craigslist or private contact.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2014-10-08)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

To those of you saying there could be legal issues, is there any law on the selling of prototype/beta models if it was legally obtained? I can see Apple suing the pants off Verizon and/or offering the seller some nice benefits to play nice and give it to Apple, but what legal action could they take against the seller or buyer?

On a different note, is there any chance a dev model such as this would allow an in depth look into the software/hardware? Perhaps it could open up the door to the first bootrom level exploit since the A4? Or at the very least provide some insight as to how to develop a jailbreak for iOS 8?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2014-10-08), MOJO5873 (2014-10-07), stolenpentium (2014-10-07)

I think the listing will be closed and the phone will probably be asked to be returned to Verizon/apple just seems that way

Sent from space

Speaking of prototypes discovered after release, I found a prototype copy of Xexys in my collection of old Nintendo Entertainment System games (NES). EEPROMs on an official Nintendo EEPROM PCB and everything.

I don't get it. What's the big deal about a prototype if the real thing is already out?

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles46 View Post
    I don't get it. What's the big deal about a prototype if the real thing is already out?
    Mainly the rarity aspect and the fact that it runs a dev version of iOS as opposed to the full version.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

If this IS a functional phone...then I am betting money that this is a heavily skinned Android clone that is intended to defraud users.

If I am wrong...it proves that desperate iSheep will pay anything to get their hands on an iPhone 6.

Thanks

200 bids so far, already over $100K
    Seller has 1 feedback as a seller. Hmmm
    What a great payday for him/her

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe I'll bid just so i can say I did, and hope I get outbid!

Considering the packaging and everything is done in China, I highly doubt a prototype made it from California (Apple's home base) to China only to come back from China again.

Here's my thought, since the seller is from California and Apple is from California. Maybe someone that works at Apple gave it to the seller to sell.

Since certain employees were using a prototype to put it through its paces, i'm guessing Apple can find out pretty easy who's phone that is.

Thanks

Odd, it must have been pulled, had 2 more days on the auction. Now it says "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."
    Fishy or did Apple put a stop to it?

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Just as I was going to bid $94,600 it was removed! Dang it!

Thanks

Wow! Thats a lot of money for a prototype. Meanwhile Ebola is spreading world wide.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    To those of you saying there could be legal issues, is there any law on the selling of prototype/beta models if it was legally obtained? I can see Apple suing the pants off Verizon and/or offering the seller some nice benefits to play nice and give it to Apple, but what legal action could they take against the seller or buyer?
    Good point. I thought the same. If it was packaged and sold by the company, can Apple have any legal claim to it? But...

Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
    Considering the packaging and everything is done in China, I highly doubt a prototype made it from California (Apple's home base) to China only to come back from China again.
    This right here. I don't think it's likely there were prototypes just laying around the warehouse floor in China when they would typically be in Cupertino. Maybe they did have a prototype or two in China, but I doubt it was anywhere near where regular line employees could get their hands on it and then accidentally package it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Wow! Thats a lot of money for a prototype. Meanwhile Ebola is spreading world wide.
    Unfortunately money isn't the limitation of taking care of Ebola spread right now. The limitation is in the number of qualified doctors willing and able to help care for those that are ill. The US has pledged a lot of resources to put up new treatment centers, but as people on the ground have said, they will be largely unused without doctors to occupy them.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-10-07 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast