Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung to Reportedly Manufacture Next Year's A9 Processor with a 14-Nanometer Process

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung to Reportedly Manufacture Next Year's A9 Processor with a 14-Nanometer Process

Although the A8 chip was recently unveiled in the iPhone 6, the Cupertino California company is already lining up deals for the next yearís supposed ďA9Ē processor. According to the folks over at ZDNet, the A9 processors will be manufactured with a 14-nanometer process by longtime partner, Samsung. The South Korean tech giant is expected to begin producing 14-nanometer application processors for Apple, Qualcomm and AMD around the end of this year. For those of you who didnít know, Samsung built custom mobile chips for Apple since the launch of the first iPhone in 2007 but it has seen its position reduced.

Before the launch of the iPhone 6, Samsung manufactured all of Appleís low-power ARM processors in a factory located in Austin, Texas. Starting with the A8 CPU in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple ended up bringing Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. into the mix. Samsung is still said to be supplying roughly 40% of Apple A8 chips for the iPhone 6 models but thatís still a big change from previous generation chips, when Samsung was responsible for all of the manufacturing.

As far as the next-gen ďA9Ē chip, previous rumors stated that 2015 would be when the 14-nanometer ARM CPU made its debut. This yearís 64-bit A8 chip is manufacturing through a 20-nanometer process, which itself was a reduction from the previous A7 processor iteration. Smaller processors are more efficient which results in power savings that can allow devices like the iPhone to see a better battery life, even as the chips become more powerful and capable. This is exactly what is exhibited with the improved battery life and strong performance of the iPhone 6 lineup (both the regular and the Plus models).

Source: ZDNet

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's so weird to me how on one hand Apple can sue Samsung for billions of dollars and try to get their products banned from being sold and on the other hand make deals with them to make their processors. I guess that's corporations for you. They don't have feelings, they just try to make the most money possible.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwhite67 For This Useful Post:

dapes (2014-10-06), Sage I (2014-10-03)

Quote Originally Posted by mwhite67 View Post
    It's so weird to me how on one hand Apple can sue Samsung for billions of dollars and try to get their products banned from being sold and on the other hand make deals with them to make their processors. I guess that's corporations for you. They don't have feelings, they just try to make the most money possible.
    That's capitalism! It's a beautiful monster! Aaaand, that's how we get the iPhone, Prius and solar panels of the world. It's what drives innovation-profit! But, yes, it's the most bizarre thing to see these two in business some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    That's capitalism! It's a beautiful monster! Aaaand, that's how we get the iPhone, Prius and solar panels of the world. It's what drives innovation-profit! But, yes, it's the most bizarre thing to see these two in business some more!
    Not too mention that Samsung is a HUGE group, so Samsung people who sell the processors are not the same as the ones sueing

Hahaha so now don't bashing samsuck when you buy isuck you also buy samsuck too.

I was thinking the same. So odd.

This should be a shining example for all those fanboys that seems to have some strange emotional attachment with one brand and a strong passionate hatred for another. If the companies themselves donít have enough emotion to care how they deal with each other from one business line to another, then consumers certainly shouldnít get that emotional!

Apple sues Samsung, Samsung makes Apple hater pr0n commercials bashing Apple, but in the real world, they both work together to make profit off these emotional doofs.

Cold, calculating corporations. No emtion and only one purpose in mind. You have to both admire it, and be cautious of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Hahaha so now don't bashing samsuck when you buy isuck you also buy samsuck too.
    Yep, thatís what Iím talking about! Thank you for proving my point.

FYI: itís not a Samsung chip. Itís Appleís chip they designed and hired Samsung to manufacture. Samsung is just following direction Appel gave them to build it. They had no hand in the design. Itís like an architect handing over blueprint for a building to a construction company, and then the construction company claims they designed it just because they built it based on the architectís design.

And as the article said, Samsung is only making 40% at this point and dropping.

All and all this is the way of the world for all of recorded history. People have always had relationships with their rivals.

We hate the situation in the Middle East but have never refused the oil that they deliver to us. We despised communist Russia but never snubbed their platinum and titanium resources.

We as a people have always had these synergistic relationships with our enemies and always will because we place our survival and needs above our beliefs and morality.

If Samsung really wanted to take over the smartphone market. Stop producing for apple. No one else can keep demand of the processors like Samsung could. iPhones would be on back order for like 6 months

But doesn't this mean that samsung would see the processing power of the chip and work on building something better so innocence always being in front of apple on hardware, but not software?

I think if Samsung just made the different components that Apple asked for and did not try to steal their ideas, there wouldn't be any suing.

The problem arose when Samsung made a clone (identical or almost identical) of Apple's iPhone (among other products).

Unfortunately (it's a bittersweet) Apple is growing so big, that they need products made all over the place.

So don't get confused, Samsung made products for Apple and Apple paid them. Then in another division of Samsung, they made a clone of my Apple's iPhone. Samsung is not the victim.