Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon has Plans on Doubling Data Plans, Won't be Throttling Unlimited 4G Data Users

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon has Plans on Doubling Data Plans, Won't be Throttling Unlimited 4G Data Users

It has been recently reported that mobile carrier Verizon Wireless won’t be throttling 4G LTE data speeds for those who have unlimited data and were grandfathered in. The carrier like others, announced a promotion regarding an upgraded data plan as well. According to The Verge, Verizon has decided to change its plans of expanding its ‘network optimization’ initiative. The recent statement states:

Verizon is committed to providing its customers with an unparalleled mobile network experience. At a time of ever-increasing mobile broadband data usage, we not only take pride in the way we manage our network resources, but also take seriously our responsibility to deliver exceptional mobile service to every customer.

We've greatly valued the ongoing dialogue over the past several months concerning network optimization and we've decided not to move forward with the planned implementation of network optimization for 4G LTE customers on unlimited plans. Exceptional network service will always be our priority and we remain committed to working closely with industry stakeholders to manage broadband issues so that American consumers get the world-class mobile service they expect and value.
    Verizon was supposed to throttle customers who used the most data, which is only a small percentage compared to all other customers. That small number would have helped other customers get more consistent data usage. However, Verizon recently announced that they would not be doing that and had a change in plans. Other mobile carriers including AT&T and Sprint have already announced their plan of doubling data plans for their customers earlier in the week. Verizon has followed similar footsteps and announced increasing those who have 12GB to 15GB of data and more than doubling those who pay for 16GB of data to 30GB.

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Gcruz (2014-10-02)

we'll see... I may actually switch to more everything if true... (329/month for 5 phones w/data, 2 with unlimited right now) between me and my son, just with Spotify, we use over 20GB/month. The other lines use about 2-4GB each

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

They sent me a text saying they would give me 5gb extra to add to my already 10gb a months for the same price.
    I did.

Should be a big asterisk next to that since it’s not doubling for the lower data plans that a majority of consumer actually have.

Quote Originally Posted by justreboot View Post
    we'll see... I may actually switch to more everything if true... (329/month for 5 phones w/data, 2 with unlimited right now) between me and my son, just with Spotify, we use over 20GB/month. The other lines use about 2-4GB each
    Leanr to download your Spotify playlists while on wifi for offline listening when you are not on wifi. Should save you tons of data. Also other little tricks like turning off auto play on facebook videos (FB must be getting paid by telecoms to auto set that to on!)

AT&T sucks! I have unlimited and I always get throttled when I reach 3gb.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atorres062 For This Useful Post:

Assassination (2014-10-02)

Thanks

Oh these conglomerates...haha! Follow the leader i see.

Maybe ATT will follow and stop the throttling on unlimited plans.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadw3 For This Useful Post:

Assassination (2014-10-02)

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Oh these conglomerates...haha! Follow the leader i see.
    I feel like these things are worked out among the big 3 behin closed doors. Whenever one comes out with a new deal, the others seems to react a little too quickly. As a person that works in finance for a Fortune 25 company, I know personally that such big decisions are not made so quickly.

They seem to keep things just close enough that there's really not that big of a difference when you work out the financials of all the plans/deals. About the only one that really stands out, and not by much, is T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadw3 View Post
    Maybe ATT will follow and stop the throttling on unlimited plans.
    Never going to happen! Not with AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by atorres062 View Post
    AT&T sucks! I have unlimited and I always get throttled when I reach 3gb.
    That is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. Class action, likely.

==> All you can eat buffet!!! We give you a smaller plate every minute....then if you can't fit it on your plate you can't have any more....except you can have all that you can eat....except you can't have any more...except...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffS4 View Post
    That is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. Class action, likely.
    Unfortunately, that also is never going to happen :-( The law in the US protects these telcos against class action lawsuits.
    Folks have been successful against AT&T in small claims court though.

"Verizon has followed similar footsteps and announced increasing those who have 12GB to 15GB of data and more than doubling those who pay for 16GB of data to 30GB."

I'm very confused. Neither of those are "double," much less, "more than double."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-07)