Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Touch ID Support for iPad and Hidden Settings for Apple Pay Found in iOS 8.1 Beta

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Touch ID Support for iPad and Hidden Settings for Apple Pay Found in iOS 8.1 Beta

It has been reported that developer Hamza Sood has uncovered hidden settings from Apple’s iOS 8.1 beta build for the unreleased Apple Pay payment service for mobile devices. There were Apple Pay settings found in the menu pane of iOS 8.1 beta update, which was released on Monday. The new feature will apparently be within the Passbook app (as noted in the above photo), and users will be able to manage all credit/debit cards set up to use Apple Pay as well as choose their address, email, default card, and phone number.

Sood has also found Touch ID settings for the iPad. This is new news because rumors have been going around saying Apple’s iPad lineup would be receiving this upgrade, but no confirmed date had been mentioned. The evidence was found via a code string which read:

Pay with iPad using Touch ID. With Apple Pay, you no longer need to type card numbers and shipping information.
    Apple Pay mobile payment services is said to launch in October and is one of the highly anticipated features for the iPhone 6 lineup. It has been noted that many major credit card companies as well as big named retail stores will be incorporating Apple Pay mobile payment services. It has also been reported that approximately 220,000 locations will be accepting the Cupertino-based company’s new payment system when launched.

Source: Twitter (via Hamza Sood)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Does that mean the beta allows users to use Apple Pay?

Great new for iPad... I was wondering why they didn't add Touch ID to the Air last year...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Breezy215 For This Useful Post:

MoDaLoT (2014-09-30)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

Are people actually gonna want to use their IPAD to pay?? I mean personally I'd rather just pull out my wallet if I don't already have an iPhone that's apple pay enabled. iPad is just too big for that kind of use, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
    Are people actually gonna want to use their IPAD to pay?? I mean personally I'd rather just pull out my wallet if I don't already have an iPhone that's apple pay enabled. iPad is just too big for that kind of use, don't you think?
    If someone is going to be taking their iPad out with them, they'll have the option to use it to pay. Obviously bringing it out specifically to pay is not ideal versus just using a wallet. But for someone bringing their iPad to a place like Starbucks, and using it to pay for their coffee, that is not far-fetched. Especially if they don't own iPhones, but have their iPad on hand.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Perhaps it could integrate with the Apple Watch as well, so you could have it in your backpack. Probably not nearly as good as an iPhone, but for those who still want to use Apple Pay.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Meh. I'm still going strong with my iPad 3 and will continue to do so until it dies. There is nothing offered up on the new iPads that interests me. A moddest weight and thickness difference is no big deal. I also pretty much only use it at home, so touch ID doesn't really excite me either.

Apple is doing too good of a job building and supporting their hardware/software! I could see myself using my iPad 3 for another couple years at least, even if it's not supported in iOS9.

I'm still using my ipad 2. Has a hairline crack in the corner but almost unnoticeable. Yes I want a new one eventually as some games are no longer compatible but I'm fine with this in the meantime. That said, Touch ID would be a welcome feature. Maybe the next ipad will be the one to upgrade to.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Meh. I'm still going strong with my iPad 3 and will continue to do so until it dies. There is nothing offered up on the new iPads that interests me. A moddest weight and thickness difference is no big deal. I also pretty much only use it at home, so touch ID doesn't really excite me either.

Apple is doing too good of a job building and supporting their hardware/software! I could see myself using my iPad 3 for another couple years at least, even if it's not supported in iOS9.
    I'm right there with you. There's been no incentive for me to upgrade from my 3 yet. Which is really weird for me, as I like having the latest and greatest everything. But upgrading hasn't interested me one bit. Especially now with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Livin the iPhone Life oldskoolsk8r's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 725 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    Great new for iPad... I was wondering why they didn't add Touch ID to the Air last year...
    Because they wouldn't have had anything to upgrade the iPad this year! They could have done it last year but they needed something to add this year as an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldskoolsk8r For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-09-30), lilpetabread (2014-09-30)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Are people actually gonna want to use their IPAD to pay??
    Presumably Apple Pay will work for online transactions also when websites adopt it. So yes on the iPad.

Thanks

Like the iWatch(if i actually decide to buy one) I will wait until gen II for both. My iPad 2 works just fine..still Jailbroken on iOS 5. Not broke why fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Like the iWatch(if i actually decide to buy one) I will wait until gen II for both. My iPad 2 works just fine..still Jailbroken on iOS 5. Not broke why fix it?
    That's my issue with the watch. In 2007, My iPhone replaced my watch. Going back to a watch today seems like it'd be going back a step. I almost wish they had announced the watch before they announced the iPhone 6, because watching it afterwards was like, "oh, okay....you just said my new phone was going to do all of this (aka GPS, step counter, Apple Pay, apps, text messaging etc) so why on earth do I need this, except for throwing additional money away?" What I got from the announcement was, "cool, I don't need a fit bit now, don't need a camera, don't need an iPad anymore, all I need is my iPhone." (don't even use a laptop anymore.)

The only thing I recall it does that my phone does not is send other people my heart beat - which might be cute the first 3-4 times, but not for $350. Now, if it worked independently from the iPhone, that would be interesting. But piggybacking off my phone, no. So I'll wait for the gen 2 and see what that brings to the table and hopefully it'll feel like more than taking a step back. Currently, I'm waiting for Google Glass, which is looking way more convenient.

Think of it the other way around Jack, some small businesses use the Ipad to accept credit card payments, so perhaps the NFC on an ipad will allow those businesses to be paid via apple pay.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I think some of you have this mixed up. Sounds like some are thinking that the iPad is going to have NFC and be able to do ApplePay. The article doesn't say anything about that. The article is talking about 2 different items. It talks about the the new iPad have TouchID, but also stating that they found strings in the beta about ApplePay also. Meaning these 2 items are likely to show up in Oct for the event announcement. I don't see Apple putting NFC in the iPad. I couldn't imagine seeing someone taking out a iPad to pay with ApplePay.
    Last edited by Carvensno; 2014-09-30 at 07:06 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-10-01)

Apple Pay is more than just NFC payments at the store the iPad probably won't have an NFC chip. It's also one-touch payments on websites using your fingerprint. Enabled sites will accept Apple Pay and you won't have to type in address or payment information at all. Just use your fingerprint. It's like one-click pay only better and more secure!

were are these apple pay settings in the 8.1 beta at?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Because so many common apps no longer work on iOS 5.. That's why..

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Because so many common apps no longer work on iOS 5.. That's why..
    Or even 6 for that matter.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-10-01)