Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Posts New Apps for Health App Store Section Following Approval of HealthKit Apps

Default Apple Posts New Apps for Health App Store Section Following Approval of HealthKit Apps

With the release of iOS 8, Apple had to turn off the switch for HealthKit for developers because of some major glitches. HealthKit allows users to track their health and fitness over time and also comes with features so that developers can create their own third-party applications that can interact with Apple's HealthKit features for a fuller user experience.

Apple attempted to resolve the problems in an iOS 8.0.1 software update; however, the update posed more problems and needed to be pulled for examination. A day later, the company released iOS 8.0.2 to the public, which officially fixes the HealthKit bugs (as well as those reported with iOS 8.0.1), and Apple has finally started allowing developers to submit their HealthKit apps for approval.

With Apple now officially approving HealthKit applications in the iOS App Store, the company has created a new section to aid with user discovery of these new applications. Apple has entitled the new section "Apps for Health" and it can easily be spotted from the App Store thanks to its easy-to-see red background:

The new section includes the following applications:

Sources: App Store

I have a question! How does this health app work? And why would I need an extra health app? Do I need one of those fit bits or wrist things?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I have a question! How does this health app work?
    I wish I could answer that, but I'm still waiting on my iPhone 6 Plus to come, and my iPhone 5 is still on iOS 7.1.2 jailbroken lol.

And why would I need an extra health app? Do I need one of those fit bits or wrist things?
    Same reason that people use third-party Weather applications instead of Apple's. They might do more. And you don't NEED a wrist thingy, but in the future, Apple's Watch will integrate with the Health app.

Not sure how this will work but waiting for the Fitbit update

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I wish I could answer that, but I'm still waiting on my iPhone 6 Plus to come, and my iPhone 5 is still on iOS 7.1.2 jailbroken lol.

Same reason that people use third-party Weather applications instead of Apple's. They might do more. And you don't NEED a wrist thingy, but in the future, Apple's Watch will integrate with the Health app.
    Lucky I canceled my order an hour after I did the pre order didn't trust sprint and pick one up at my local. Guest there some benefit to sprint crappy service there was no lines lol
    Last edited by fulcrom; 2014-09-29 at 04:28 PM.
    When all you have is a hammer "every problem look like a nail"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I have a question! How does this health app work? And why would I need an extra health app? Do I need one of those fit bits or wrist things?
    It's to tie all supported health apps together. I use one to track calories and nutrition, and so it sends that information into the new Health app, for instance. I also just downloaded one that tracks movement and speed on GPS and labels it as running/walking/driving and sends that information to it as well. Then, the one I use for nutrition takes the exercise information from Health, for instance. It essentially just allows them all to talk to each other and creates a space for you to view the compounded information all at once. I'm excited for it.

From what notice you can use the phone as a tracker for steps stairs most off the fitness and also the nutritional intake. But it's getting a little confusing the app tracks and intake data from trackers not sure the purpose of health unless apple want to be the standard for the health care industry as a way physician can get data as a diagnosis tool.
    When all you have is a hammer "every problem look like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by JS52 View Post
    It's to tie all supported health apps together. I use one to track calories and nutrition, and so it sends that information into the new Health app, for instance. I also just downloaded one that tracks movement and speed on GPS and labels it as running/walking/driving and sends that information to it as well. Then, the one I use for nutrition takes the exercise information from Health, for instance. It essentially just allows them all to talk to each other and creates a space for you to view the compounded information all at once. I'm excited for it.
    What it seems that your saying are other apps are needed to talk to the health app for it to work. I notice inside the app you can manually enter information but how come the health app doesn't already track that by itself?