Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Limited Time: AT&T Offering Double Data on Mobile Share Plans Until October 31st

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Default Limited Time: AT&T Offering Double Data on Mobile Share Plans Until October 31st
    Exactly.. I'm not saying NEXT is all wrong. I'm just saying it's not a "no-brainer" based on the cash out.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

You all are writing too many things for my simple mind to want to read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Your math is always right on, my friend.. But you haven't heard my point at all. Take the total price I pay over a 2 year period out of your equations.. And - I never pay for my phone!!!! eBay buyers pay for my phone!!! Also my "monthly outgo" is ALWAYS LESS PER MONTH than people on NEXT! It's the monthly outgo that matters to most of us! I pay less "per month" than you do with the 4 phones on my plan.

You're using the same math argument that the ATT reps do on the phone with you.. Cost of phone is not in the equation for two year contract folks. Monthly service cost is the issue..
    Next people = $100 + ($32.50 or $37.50 + $15/mo. X 4) (& don't own their phone)
    2yr Contract people = $100 + ($40 x 4) (& own their phone).

The other thing you're not factoring in is that for this last four months I've also been on the $25 discount per line as a two-year contract owner. AT&T will offer such "promotional offers" again and I will be still paying less than NEXT people MONTHLY!

It's all about the monthly outgo as far as making your best decision for you and your family. Same exact decision you have to make between buying a car and leasing a car.
    My friend, I'm not sure you're taking it in to account that on a 2-year contract, you're not gunna get it for 399 anymore. This is only one per 2 years. You buy it for 399 and then next year it'll cost you 749. If you sell your old phone for 400 and you now only paid 350 for the new one (750 new minus 400 old).

Here's your two options since you said you have 4 lines:

Next: 100+15+15+15+15=160
    2 year: 100+40+40+40+40=260

Phones:
    Next: 32.50 x 4 x 12 months =1560
    2 year: 399 x 4=1596

Next: plan- $1920 a year + $1560 phone expense =$3480 for one year
    2-year: plan- $3120 a year + $1596 phone expense = $4716 for one year

You saved $1236 this year using next.

Year 2:
    Next is still $3480 (traded phone for 6+S, everything stays the same)

2-year contract= $3120(plan) + $2996(749 x 4 6+S phones partial discount )= $6116

You sold your 4 iPhone 6 pluses for $400 x 4 phones on ebay= $1600

So year 2 total= 6116 -1600= $4516
    Versus
    Next: $3480

You saved $1036 on Next.

What I don't think you're getting is that leasing a phone on Next and selling your 2-year contract phone is the same thing. (I paid $390 (32.50/month) for it and gave it back and paid nothing else). You paid 399 and sold it for 400 BUT paid 750 for a new one, which means you paid $350 out of pocket.

If you're still not seeing it, give me your exact plan details and I'll break it down for your specific case.

Thanks

Lilpeta.. I'm sorry.. there's one piece of info you didn't have about me... that's throwing off all your calculations. My cost of new phone is the same every year because my wife's and my upgrade dates are 1 year apart - exactly and she never wants a new phone. So I use her 'crossgrade' everyyear and get my new phone for $299 every year. So my original calculations stand. I pay less 'MONTHLY' than any NEXT person will. AND I get a new phone every year. Trust me. I've done the calculations many times. I know what the best deal is FOR ME... And keep in mind.. The 'cost of the phone', which you keep including in your calculations is not an issue for me since I just pay out of my cash flow the money for the new upgrade and then sell my old one.. So I break even every year on new phones. The only calculations you should be making is MONTHLY ACTUAL BILLED COST... I have never paid 750 for a new phone EVER on the 2 year contract plan.. Because of using my wife's upgrade every other year..

But even if I did... I still win the argument -- because for most of us it isn't about TOTAL paid out over two years INCLUDING the cost of the phone.. it's about the MONTLY budget.. that NEXT people will pay more for than 2 year contract people.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-10-01 at 08:51 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilpetabread View Post
    My friend, I'm not sure you're taking it in to account that on a 2-year contract, you're not gunna get it for 399 anymore. This is only one per 2 years. You buy it for 399 and then next year it'll cost you 749. If you sell your old phone for 400 and you now only paid 350 for the new one (750 new minus 400 old).

Here's your two options since you said you have 4 lines:

Next: 100+15+15+15+15=160
    2 year: 100+40+40+40+40=260

Phones:
    Next: 32.50 x 4 x 12 months =1560
    2 year: 399 x 4=1596

Next: plan- $1920 a year + $1560 phone expense =$3480 for one year
    2-year: plan- $3120 a year + $1596 phone expense = $4716 for one year

You saved $1236 this year using next.

Year 2:
    Next is still $3480 (traded phone for 6+S, everything stays the same)

2-year contract= $3120(plan) + $2996(749 x 4 6+S phones partial discount )= $6116

You sold your 4 iPhone 6 pluses for $400 x 4 phones on ebay= $1600

So year 2 total= 6116 -1600= $4516
    Versus
    Next: $3480

You saved $1036 on Next.

What I don't think you're getting is that leasing a phone on Next and selling your 2-year contract phone is the same thing. (I paid $390 (32.50/month) for it and gave it back and paid nothing else). You paid 399 and sold it for 400 BUT paid 750 for a new one, which means you paid $350 out of pocket.

If you're still not seeing it, give me your exact plan details and I'll break it down for your specific case.
    But I think what is missing? Is that NewdestinyX I think is using a upgrade every year, not every other year as If someone had a single line. I could be wrong though.

Lilpeta.. I'm sorry.. there's one piece of info you didn't have about me... that's throwing off all your calculations. My cost of new phone is the same every year because my wife's and my upgrade dates are 1 year apart - exactly and she never wants a new phone. So I use her 'crossgrade' everyyear and get my new phone for $299 every year. So my original calculations stand. I pay less 'MONTHLY' than any NEXT person will. AND I get a new phone every year. Trust me. I've done the calculations many times. I know what the best deal is FOR ME... And keep in mind.. The 'cost of the phone', which you keep including in your calculations is not an issue for me since I just pay out of my cash flow the money for the new upgrade and then sell my old one.. So I break even every year on new phones. The only calculations you should be making is MONTHLY ACTUAL BILLED COST...
    LMAO you beat to it by about 10 seconds of posting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    But I think what is missing? Is that NewdestinyX I think is using a upgrade every year, not every other year as If someone had a single line. I could be wrong though.
    Exactly! Many people do this.. Dads using their wife's or kids upgrade to get a new phone each year. My kids keep their phones for several years. Getting them a new one each year - just spoils them.. LOL!!!!!

In the final analysis it's about the monthly budget outgo.. Lipita is making a total cash out argument. That's not how most of us plan. We plan around monthly bills.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-10-01 at 08:52 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-10-01), chevymusclecar (2014-10-01)

Thanks

Exactly! Many people do this.. Dads using their wife's or kids upgrade to get a new phone each year. My kids keep their phones for several years. Getting them a new one each year - just spoils them.. LOL!!!!!
    Ya my friend on my account has a basic dumb phone, so I use her upgrade Well except for this year LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Ya my friend on my account has a basic dumb phone, so I use her upgrade Well except for this year LOL
    If you have the one year apart thing going on - you always get a new phone for subsidized pricing.. And then $40/line is real nice.. I DO hate the $40 activation fee.. That's unnecessary... but... I still can't be paying MORE than $100 + $40/mo/line for my service.. NEXT folks pay more 'per month'.. Doesn't matter the final cash outlay over 2 years. That's where Lipita's argument falls apart. His numbers are right -- but he ignores monthly cash outlay month to month..

Lilpeta.. I'm sorry.. there's one piece of info you didn't have about me... that's throwing off all your calculations. My cost of new phone is the same every year because my wife's and my upgrade dates are 1 year apart - exactly and she never wants a new phone. So I use her 'crossgrade' everyyear and get my new phone for $299 every year. So my original calculations stand. I pay less 'MONTHLY' than any NEXT person will. AND I get a new phone every year. Trust me. I've done the calculations many times. I know what the best deal is FOR ME... And keep in mind.. The 'cost of the phone', which you keep including in your calculations is not an issue for me since I just pay out of my cash flow the money for the new upgrade and then sell my old one.. So I break even every year on new phones. The only calculations you should be making is MONTHLY ACTUAL BILLED COST... I have never paid 750 for a new phone EVER on the 2 year contract plan.. Because of using my wife's upgrade every other year..
    Oh okay, that makes sense. I didn't know that. As far as monthly bill costs, that depends on the plan you're on of course and depends on how many lines.

For the 10GB plan with 3 lines, I pay $145 with Next vs $220 per month contract. So with my phone, (my mom and brother still have 5's and don't plan on upgrading) my bill is only 145 + 32.50 (my phone) = 177.50 /month and I just keep trading it in every year. So ultimately, yes it does depend on the plan you have and how often the other lines upgrade (if at all). I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. Hope you didnt/don't take offense. Just genuinely trying to help.

My specific case is of 2 options

Next : 177.50/month with one phone on bill=$2130/year

Contract: 220/month = $2640/year plus 399 phone (even if I sell it for 400 next year, I'm still paying more for the actual plan with a contract.

So that's where my logic came from. But like I said, that's just for the mobile value share plans. If you have a different plan, it could totally throw everything off.

If you have the one year apart thing going on - you always get a new phone for subsidized pricing.. And then $40/line is real nice.. I DO hate the $40 activation fee.. That's unnecessary... but... I still can't be paying MORE than $100 + $40/mo/line for my service.. NEXT folks pay more 'per month'.. Doesn't matter the final cash outlay over 2 years. That's where Lipita's argument falls apart. His numbers are right -- but he ignores monthly cash outlay month to month..
    I'm not sure what you mean by monthly outlay. But I don't pay 100+40....it's only that way WITH contract. Mine is only 100+15 per line with "Next" aka no contract. I'll upload a screenshot of my bill. It's 100+15+15+15+32.50= 177.50. What do you mean by monthly outlay?
    Last edited by lilpetabread; 2014-10-01 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks

Default Limited Time: AT&T Offering Double Data on Mobile Share Plans Until October 31st
    On NEXT you pay 32.50 to 37.50 a month for your new phone. And you can only switch to NEXT upon getting a new phone.. to my understanding. So everyone MOVING to NEXT will always pay more monthly than 2yr people because "leasing" their phones adds 32-35/month MORE!

I pay 100 + 15+ 15 + 40 --- 3 lines.. That's less than you..
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-10-01 at 09:51 PM.

On NEXT you pay 32.50 to 37.50 a month for your new phone. And you can only switch to NEXT upon getting a new phone.. to my understanding. So everyone MOVING to NEXT will always pay more monthly than 2yr people because "leasing" their phones adds 32-35/month MORE!
    Partner, I've been on next for the last 6 months lol. Or however long it's been available, paying $145 for 3 lines. Do you realize the numbers I'm telling you? My bill is 177.50 WITH A PHONE being billed to me with 3 lines. The CHEAPEST plan WITH a contract is 100+40+40=180 with NO phone. My 3 lines plus a phone being billed is cheaper monthly than someone with only 2 lines and no phone billed on contract.

Until you pay 299.99 next year and upgrade your wife's line which is what you claim you do, rotate upgrades). Then that $15 is gunna turn into 40. Then it'll be 100+15+40+40 putting you at $195.
    Last edited by lilpetabread; 2014-10-01 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks

You're wrong. The phones on 2 yr contract only move from 15 per line back to 40 UPON PURCHASE OF NEW CONTRACT!!!!

I pay 100 + 15 + 15 + 40 (one phone I resigned to 2 yr).. You pay an additional lease fee for the one line - I do not!! Please tell me you can see that!!!

Edited.
    Uggh. You edited you post as I was writing the above.. Right now I pay less than you.. And will for an entire year..

Thanks

Partner, I've been on next for the last 6 months lol. Or however long it's been available, paying $145 for 3 lines. Do you realize the numbers I'm telling you? My bill is 177.50 WITH A PHONE being billed to me with 3 lines. The CHEAPEST plan WITH a contract is 100+40+40=180 with NO phone. My 3 lines plus a phone being billed is cheaper monthly than someone with only 2 lines and no phone billed on contract.

Until you pay 299.99 next year and upgrade your wife's line which is what you claim you do, rotate upgrades). Then that $15 is gunna turn into 40. Then it'll be 100+15+40+40 putting you at $195.
    You guys??? It's to each their own. Either you pay for the phone up front under a 2yr contract or monthly payments for 12 months. Paying for the cost of the phone is about the same either way up front or 12 months of payments LOL

You're wrong. The phones on 2 yr contract only move from 15 per line back to 40 UPON PURCHASE OF NEW CONTRACT!!!!

I pay 100 + 15 + 15 + 40 (one phone I resigned to 2 yr).. You pay an additional lease fee for the one line - I do not!! Please tell me you can see that!!!
    YOU said NEXT YEAR you'll be upgrading your WIFES line. YOUR OTHER line will still be $40 (2 year contract) and so will the wife's line. Dude. 100+15+40(after her line is upgraded)+$40 (the line you JUST upgraded for the 6)= 197. NEXT YEAR. I'll still be at 177.50. How don't you see this??

Edited.
    Uggh. You edited you post as I was writing the above.. Right now I pay less than you.. And will for an entire year..
    That was my point- you pay $7.50/month less than I do this year. Next year you'll pay $17.50 per month more, forever. That's $210/year. My whole point of this was to help you save money in the long run and you kept on telling me I'm paying more in the long run. I'm not. 17.50/month is more than half the price of my phone a month! Again dude. I never wanted to play who's right and wrong. You helped me with themes over the last few years, the least I figured I could do is save you a buck. Or $17.50/month come next year.
    Last edited by lilpetabread; 2014-10-01 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks

YOU said NEXT YEAR you'll be upgrading your WIFES line. YOUR OTHER line will still be $40 (2 year contract) and so will the wife's line. Dude. 100+15+40(after her line is upgraded)+$40 (the line you JUST upgraded for the 6)= 197. NEXT YEAR. I'll still be at 177.50. How don't you see this??
    I do see your point.. But the same is true for you .. The moment you upgrade your next line that $15 will turn into 37.50 if you want to own your phone in 12 months.. 32.50 is you want to own it in 18 mos. I own my phone now..

You and I when we upgrade a line will only be 2.50 to 7.50 apart per month per line.. But I own my phone and make a profit on it.. You can't.

We just have to agree to disagree here, Lipita. Your trying to show there's a major savings monthly and so the choice for NEXT is a no-brainer. It simply isn't.

I do see your point.. But the same is true for you .. The moment you upgrade your next line that $15 will turn into 37.50 if you want to own your phone in 12 months.. 32.50 is you want to own it in 18 mos. I own my phone now..

You and I when we upgrade a line will only be 2.50 to 7.50 apart per month per line.. But I own my phone and make a profit on it.. You can't.

We just have to agree to disagree here, Lipita. Your trying to show there's a major savings monthly and so the choice for NEXT is a no-brainer. It simply isn't.
    The same can be said for you my man. If someone loses their phone on your lines, you're at 100+40+40+40=$220/month.

Worst case scenario for me, it's 100+15+15+15+32.50+32.50+32.50=$242.50/month for 3 phones, but that includes my phone prices. So $2910 a year

Yours will be 220/month + 900 for 3 phones. So $3540.

My yearly total with phones will be $2910 if I have to upgrade all lines. Yours will be $3540 if you have to upgrade all lines...but you'll be paying the no contract prices for your next phone, cuz all lines will be on contract already. This is Worst case scenario, all 3 of yours and my lines need phones. Given those numbers, switching to next is a no brainer, man. Nobody wants to pay more, even if it's only $17.50/month more.

Thanks

We'd never shell out 900 for phones.. over that yearly period (since each 2 of my 4 phones have 1 year apart upgrade times). That's where you pad the numbers. Your fam HAS to pay the $30/line/mo no matter what.. My family sells their old phones on eBay for same amount as subsidized price and breaks even. Net cash out on phones over the 2 year period $0.. So your total outlay comparisons are padded to look no-brainer.. but it's a bit of slide of hand.

Since we're both on the 10 GB mobile share plan with base $100 --
    $15 + 32.50/mo on NEXT will always be more than just $40/mo on 2YR - at least that how it works out in my 6th grade math class, bro..

And as I mentioned a few posts back - so many of us just save up and buy our phones or get them as Christmas gifts and we don't think about that cash outlay. In fact I like paying full for my phone (full subsidized - that is). Monthly outgo per line is all that matters to many of us. And I pay less per mo than anyone on NEXT.

I've always agreed with your original "total outlay" calculation over a two year period for people who would never sell their old phones.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-10-03 at 08:06 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345