Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Limited Time: AT&T Offering Double Data on Mobile Share Plans Until October 31st

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

At least Sprint didn't end up getting T-Mo... Then nobody would keep pushing the bar to make all these companies have to do something to keep customers.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yes.. And even if you're on the 10GB.. This whole $160/mo for 4 phones thing has been a promotion. When my son upgraded from 5 to 5S a few months ago we lost the the $25/mo "discount" off the usual $40/mo per-phone price. So now I'm up to $185/mo..

The NEXT plans are only a good idea if you want to treat your phone like a car lease and have to turn it in for a new one each year. I like saving up for a new phone and then having less per month outgo.. And be able to sell my old phone on eBay for more than I paid for it. My wife's and my upgrade time is a year apart so I always have an upgrade I can use each year to buy at new contract pricing. She never wants new phone.. Lucky me.. .. She's still happy with her 4S. .. Gonna give her my 5S.. though I'd love to sell it for near $400.
    Yeah, you lose the "discount" when you sign a contract and get the subsidized phone...

So in the end, people think they are getting a better deal. But I, like you, had an upgrade every year and passed my old one along each time. It was nice, but I was also used to paying $40 a month per line plus data... so when suddenly I was paying $15 a month, I was happy and ready to upgrade and get my $199 iPhone. Unfortunately we all know now that you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Anyways, I painstakingly broke down the cost for two 24 month scenarios, which included "upgrading every year." The differences between the Next plan and regular two year contract plans from before was about $100 difference over the two years and upgrading a phone.

These $15 plans are great for large families of people who are not interested in upgrading their phone, or using a lot of data in general. Imagine 10 of your family members sharing one plan? That's $25 bucks each for unlimited phone and text, and getting a gig of data each. Now start adding more data for a few bucks more each. 30 gigs for less than 30 bucks each line. Much better deal than paying $40 each line like before.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to danman2_2999 For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-09-29)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this AT&T offer actually does look like it might save certain customers some money. Apparently the $25 per-line discount will be in effect for any phone that's off-contract, or whose contract began prior to February 2014. So for folks that bring their own devices, or even folks that are on older contracts, this truly could be a good deal.

That being the case, I feel the need to say a huge THANK YOU to the most awesome cellular-provider in the US (and possibly the world). Without a doubt, this company has set the bar for all other telcos. Thank you, thank you, thank you T-Mobile! You've genuinely introduced some real competition to the US market ;-)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csglinux For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-09-29), SpiderManAPV (2014-09-29)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Yes.. Family size is indeed in the equation here.

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    That being the case, I feel the need to say a huge THANK YOU to the most awesome cellular-provider in the US (and possibly the world). Without a doubt, this company has set the bar for all other telcos. Thank you, thank you, thank you T-Mobile! You've genuinely introduced some real competition to the US market ;-)
    It is true. Since TMobile's entry on the scene.. ATT has been dropping prices trying to compete ever since.. though I thought Sprint entered the scene before them.. No?
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-09-29 at 10:39 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts

Wait.. so if I upgrade mine and my wifes phone in december, my $15/month per line will go up to $40/month per line? Wanting to go in and pay $199 per phone for 2 iphone 6...

Thanks

Default Limited Time: AT&T Offering Double Data on Mobile Share Plans Until October 31st
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkauf55 View Post
    Wait.. so if I upgrade mine and my wifes phone in december, my $15/month per line will go up to $40/month per line? Wanting to go in and pay $199 per phone for 2 iphone 6...
    Indeed they will - if you resign up for the 2-year contract. However if you want to switch into their NEXT program, which spreads out the full price of the phone over 12 or 18 months then you won't even have to pay the $199 per phone… And you'll be able to keep your $25 a month per line discount. But it'll cost you $30 a month or so for each phone to pay the phones off (lease them actually). So no matter what program you choose your outgo per month is going to go up in December after you get your new phone.

That's why this $160 a month for four phones on the mobile shared plan has really been just a "promotional offer"… Like the cable companies offer you if you bundle their programs. It's all just bait and switch.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-09-29 at 11:43 PM.

Everyone keeps saying lease. But if you don't upgrade every year or you pay it off in full then you can keep your phone. It's kinda up to you. I'm still unsure what I'm doing. I'm off contract, deciding if I wanna stay with ATT and get the 6 or what not. Can't decide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotmuscle View Post
    Everyone keeps saying lease. But if you don't upgrade every year or you pay it off in full then you can keep your phone.
    Yes, exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I also wish AT&T would have supported the 10GB plan, since that's what I'm on. Unfortunately, companies have a habit of making you pay more to get what you want. So the only way to get on a double-data plan is to be on a 15GB or more plan.
    That's how I felt. I was on the 10gb plan as well. But since me & 3 others share data(and easily gulp up 10gb), this was a no-brainer! Now we have 30gb & we split the total cost evenly, which makes it roughly about $50/mo per person...

It is true. Since TMobile's entry on the scene.. ATT has been dropping prices trying to compete ever since.. though I thought Sprint entered the scene before them.. No?
    T-Mobile are by far the bigger threat to AT&T right now because 1) their pricing is more aggressive and 2) any existing AT&T customer can jump ship to T-Mobile and take their off-contract phones with them. The majority of older, off-contract Sprint phones are still CDMA and useless anywhere outside of Sprint's network. That will change with the newer phones of course (5s and up), but right now it's very easy for any AT&T customer who's out of contract to lower their bills by going month-to-month with T-Mobile. (Caveat emptor with regards to coverage, of course.)

Wait.. so if I upgrade mine and my wifes phone in december, my $15/month per line will go up to $40/month per line?
    Correct.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts

Indeed they will - if you resign up for the 2-year contract. However if you want to switch into their NEXT program, which spreads out the full price of the phone over 12 or 18 months then you won't even have to pay the $199 per phone… And you'll be able to keep your $25 a month per line discount. But it'll cost you $30 a month or so for each phone to pay the phones off (lease them actually). So no matter what program you choose your outgo per month is going to go up in December after you get your new phone.

That's why this $160 a month for four phones on the mobile shared plan has really been just a "promotional offer"… Like the cable companies offer you if you bundle their programs. It's all just bait and switch.
    thanks... I chose this new plan to "save money" and now I'll pay more than I did before getting this plan.

Sounds like I may be switching to someone else; not sure who

Thanks

Default Limited Time: AT&T Offering Double Data on Mobile Share Plans Until October 31st
    thanks... I chose this new plan to "save money" and now I'll pay more than I did before getting this plan.

Sounds like I may be switching to someone else; not sure who
    Yes, like you, when I first started seeing AT&T's commercials on television for the four lines for $160 a month… I thought to myself "finally, AT&T is getting more aggressive with their pricing"… Here to find out it's only a promotional offer to the end of your contract or next phone upgrade. When you upgrade any one phone (and choose "new two-year contract" over "the NEXT plans")- you lose the discount on that phone altogether. If all four phones eventually upgrade you're paying $100 more a month again after all have upgraded using 2 year contract. "Bait & switch" again… I should've known. AT&T will never be competitively priced – perpetually.
    This is also an obvious blatant move to move everybody over to their NEXT plans which benefits them as well.

Yes, like you, when I first started seeing AT&T's commercials on television for the four lines for $160 a month… I thought to myself "finally, AT&T is getting more aggressive with their pricing"… Here to find out it's only a promotional offer to the end of your contract or next phone upgrade. When you upgrade any one phone (and choose "new two-year contract" over "the NEXT plans")- you lose the discount on that phone altogether. If all four phones eventually upgrade you're paying $100 more a month again after all have upgraded using 2 year contract. "Bait & switch" again… I should've known. AT&T will never be competitively priced – perpetually.
    This is also an obvious blatant move to move everybody over to their NEXT plans which benefits them as well.
    Like the others have said, the next options can be a saving for sure. For 3 lines, I'm saving $1800 on my plan every 2 years by purchasing a phone at full price. It does drop from there tho: the three 6+ I bought cost me $2550 with Next. 2 year contract price is $1200, meaning it technically only cost me a $1350 difference. So my $1800 plan savings is now down to an overall savings of $450 or 18.75/month. Small savings, maybe. Savings nonetheless! (assuming you only purchase a phone once every 2 years.)

edit- make this clearer:

Next: 10GB is $100 plus $15/line x 3=$145 per month. Which equals $3480 for 2 years.

2 Year Contract: 10GB is $100 plus $40/line x 3= $220/month. Which equals $5280 for 2 year.

Next is $1800 cheaper over 2 years.

Phones:
    IPhone plus 64GB on Next= $849 x 3= $2547
    IPhone plus 64GB on contract= $399 x 3= $1197

Difference on Next = $1350 more.

So take $1800 on plan savings and subtract your $1350 phone expense and you get a grand total savings of: $450.
    Last edited by lilpetabread; 2014-10-01 at 04:13 AM.

Thanks

That only works for people who get a phone every two years.. If you want the new phone each year the numbers work a little differently..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-01)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

That only works for people who get a phone every two years.. If you want the new phone each year the numbers work a little differently..
    Isn't that the whole point of NEXT, though, is that you can always get the NEXT device?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of NEXT, though, is that you can always get the NEXT device?
    Right, and on a 2 year contract, upgrading before the 2 year mark is still very, very expensive. Let's not forget that. Next is not at all a bad option, the math I provided proves it. Is it a magical deal? Hell no. Is it a rip off? Nope. Especially since I'm getting 10GBs shared for $150 instead of 2GBs per line (3 lines) for $190ish like I used to have.

If I recall correctly, my payments for the iPhone 6 Plus are $32.50/month. If I trade that in a year from now for 6 Plus S, I'll have only paid $390 for the phone...$9 cheaper than buying it on a 2 year contract. And if I had got it with a 2-year contract, upgrading before the 2 year mark would be considerably more expensive than a simple trade-in and I'd be paying more for the plan. My point isn't to prove you wrong, it's just to show you what it really is. Because I too was all wtf about it till I saw the actual math.
    Last edited by lilpetabread; 2014-10-01 at 06:28 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lilpetabread For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-01)

Thanks

Lilpeta,
    Your math is impeccable, my friend… What you're not taking into consideration is the "ethos of buying habits for a new phone" that most of us use. Most of us either get a present each year or save up for that 199/299/399 price point. Monthly phone cost is simply not something that we factor in. We get a gift at Christmas, get a bonus at work, put a little aside in chunks… in short we simply save up for it and then buy our phone outright. AND are able to sell it for $400+ on eBay.

If you take the cost of the phone for the two-year contract people out of the equation then the monthly figure is way better on 2yr contract than using NEXT. I buy a new phone each year.. And pay for it with the sale $ of my previous phone and actually make a little $ on the deal. No way does NEXT beat that deal.. I pay $40/month. NEXT people pay $15 + $30+/month.

Lilpeta,
    Your math is impeccable, my friend… What you're not taking into consideration is the "ethos of buying habits for a new phone" that most of us use. Most of us either get a present each year or save up for that 199/299/399 price point. Monthly phone cost is simply not something that we factor in. We get a gift at Christmas, get a bonus at work, put a little aside in chunks… in short we simply save up for it and then buy our phone outright. AND are able to sell it for $400+ on eBay.

If you take the cost of the phone for the two-year contract people out of the equation then the monthly figure is way better on 2yr contract than using NEXT. I buy a new phone each year.. And pay for it with the sale $ of my previous phone and actually make a little $ on the deal. No way does NEXT beat that deal.. I pay $40/month. NEXT people pay $15 + $30+/month.
    Well here's an option (I'll use what I'll do, 3 lines buying a new phone each year with next or 2 year contract and see which comes out better.)

Next: 100+15+15+15= 145 per month or $1740 a year.
    Phone purchase: 32.50 x 3 phones x 12 months= $1170
    Total is $2910 for that year.

The following year, I do an even swap for a 6+S and continue with my payments of $32.50 x 3. Still totaling $2910.

2 year contract: 100+40+40+40=$220 per month or $2640 a year.
    Phone purchase: $399 x 3= $1197
    Total is $3837 for that year.

The following year on 2-year contract: 100+40+40+40=$220 per month or $2640 a year.
    Phone purchase: $749 (partial discount) x 3= $2247
    Total is $4887 for that year.

When you go to sell your year old device you'll get maybe $400 we'll say (my gf's 5S 64GB Just sold for a mere $310 for phone only, because eBay is over saturated with them..its a buyers market, not a sellers now).

So $4887 for the year minus 400 x 3= $3687 now (assuming you get the full $400 on eBay).

Final price breakdown:

Next is still only $2910 for year 1 and 2 when doing an even swap.

2-year contract price is $3837 for year one and $3687 for year two.

Again, I respect you around here and this is not an argument. I'm just trying to show you from a different perspective to help try and save you (and potentially others) money.

Thanks

Your math is always right on, my friend.. But you haven't heard my point at all. Take the total price I pay over a 2 year period out of your equations.. And - I never pay for my phone!!!! eBay buyers pay for my phone!!! Also my "monthly outgo" is ALWAYS LESS PER MONTH than people on NEXT! It's the monthly outgo that matters to most of us! I pay less "per month" than you do with the 4 phones on my plan.

You're using the same math argument that the ATT reps do on the phone with you.. Cost of phone is not in the equation for two year contract folks. Monthly service cost is the issue..
    Next people = $100 + ($32.50 or $37.50 + $15/mo. X 4) (& don't own their phone)
    2yr Contract people = $100 + ($40 x 4) (& own their phone).

The other thing you're not factoring in is that for this last four months I've also been on the $25 discount per line as a two-year contract owner. AT&T will offer such "promotional offers" again and I will be still paying less than NEXT people MONTHLY!

It's all about the monthly outgo as far as making your best decision for you and your family. Same exact decision you have to make between buying a car and leasing a car.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Your math is always right on, my friend.. But you haven't heard my point at all. Take the total price I pay over a 2 year period out of your equations.. And - I never pay for my phone!!!! eBay buyers pay for my phone!!! Also my "monthly outgo" is ALWAYS LESS PER MONTH than people on NEXT! It's the monthly outgo that matters to most of us! I pay less "per month" than you do with the 4 phones on my plan.

You're using the same math argument that the ATT reps do on the phone with you.. Cost of phone is not in the equation for two year contract folks. Monthly service cost is the issue..
    Next people = $100 + ($32.50 or $37.50 + $15/mo. X 4) (& don't own their phone)
    2yr Contract people = $100 + ($40 x 4) (& own their phone).

The other thing you're not factoring in is that for this last four months I've also been on the $25 discount per line as a two-year contract owner. AT&T will offer such "promotional offers" again and I will be still paying less than NEXT people MONTHLY!

It's all about the monthly outgo as far as making your best decision for you and your family. Same exact decision you have to make between buying a car and leasing a car.
    That's what it boils down to! Do you want to buy or lease? You can buy if you plan on keeping the phone longer than a year or sell and renew your contract under another phone line. But now you can basically lease your phone making 12 monthly payments and trade it in for the new model and not having to worry about selling it. Even last year ATT ask me about doing the Next program, but I wasn't sure and held out and bought my 5S. This year I figured I'd give the Next program a try and see how things go. No up front costs(besides retail taxes on the phone) and no 40.00 activation fee either.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast