Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports Takes on 'Bendgate' and Finds Surprisingly Durable Results

Quote Originally Posted by murtnabila View Post
    They're bending in the wrong direction. The photos I've seen were bent the other way. The screen should be on the bottom and the back cover should be facing up in this test to get more accurate results.

You try to bend it to see if regular daily uses will or will not cause permanent damage to your phone. People have claimed putting the phone in the pocket has.
    Uhhhh your joking right? The screen is on the bottom. What's your argument now?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy2789 View Post
    I just don't get it, why would 2 try 2 bend or break it :scratch head: just 2 prove a point, I wish 2 had mines 2 even use, i have 2 wait 2-months just 2 get it.....
    It's to see how tough it is but you only bend it if it's just like in your back pocket and you go to school and sit down

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Hes probably talking about the mobile page, its horrible. Can't even scroll down properly without having to flick the stupid ad page down and half the time it comes up anyway. It feels like you playing a game of "stop that ad" while trying to read an article. Very annoying.
    If you are using your mobile device, jailbreak has an awesome adblocker.

My iPhone is a Part of Me AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Thanks

TBH, What does it Matter if it bends in Your Pocket? the solution is Simple. Put it in a Case if your Going to stick it in your Pocket, Personally i think if you do and you sit on it and it breaks because you forgot to pull it out of your Pocket then you suffer the consequences of having to either buy it again at Full Retail Price or Pray you can find someplace that DOESN'T charge you an Arm & A Leg to get it fixed. I keep mine in an Otterbox with a Belt clip on my Pocket so it doesn't up Broken not that it would with it in a Otterbox.

People who discredit actual lab test results for no reason and claim they "know" the phones are too weak without even ever touching one in real life let alone any kind of testing of their own are the most annoying kind of troll

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    My problem with that test is how it allows the stronger side of the phone to support the weak spot. If you bend it with your hands (or pocket) it can bend at the corner instead of having to bend the whole phone.
    Based on what?? Where are your lab test results??

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    on a more serious note, has anybody tested the amount of force your hip joint can produce, cause I'm betting it's a lot more than your fingers and thumbs
    Do you really think you can generate the kind of force between you hip and leg that can nearly flatten a tennis ball, with that force concentrated on a surface as thin as the edge of the iPhone and not severely injur yourself, let alone do so on a regular basis over the normal course of your day?

Who needs to get serous?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewko View Post
    I think your forgetting that these devices should not be able bend this easily for a premium product. Why is Apple charging a premium price for a subpar phone? Your phone may be fine as of right now but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't have issues in the coming months.
    Is withstanding the ability to bend way, way, WAY beyond any real world applications seriously on your list of must-haves in phone specs?? If so, do you have the same requirements for, say, laptop screens, coat hangers, toothbrushes, forks and spoons, and so on??
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-28 at 12:27 AM.

Default Consumer Reports Takes on 'Bendgate' and Finds Surprisingly Durable Results
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    People who discredit actual lab test results for no reason and claim they "know" the phones are too weak without even ever touching one in real life let alone any kind of testing of their own are the most annoying kind of troll

Do you really think you can generate the kind of force between you hip and leg that can nearly flatten a tennis ball, with that force concentrated on a surface as thin as the edge of the iPhone and not severely injur yourself, let alone do so on a regular basis over the normal course of your day?

Who needs to get serous?

Is withstanding the ability to bend way, way, WAY beyond any real world applications seriously on your list of must-haves in phone specs?? If so, do you have the same requirements for, say, laptop screens, coat hangers, toothbrushes, forks and spoons, and so on??
    Looks like Apple has you brain washed! Do you have any sense in the value of a dollar?
    You don't mind paying $1000.00 for a device that's no stronger than an aluminum can?
    Last edited by Brewko; 2014-09-28 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks

Default Consumer Reports Takes on 'Bendgate' and Finds Surprisingly Durable Results

It's obvious that the way the phone is bent in this video completely ignores the weak spot of the phone. It's clear from the multiple videos of different people bending one with their hands that the volume button area bends easier. The entire phone has to give before it bends at all in the way Consumer Reports is doing it. I think it might be possible to generate a slight bend (not crushing it in half like in all these videos) on the weak part of the phone in ordinary use, but I'm not sure. The best way to prove this will be to just wait out the next few weeks and see how many people are affected.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

This whole bendgate is just so stupid. But like a car accident - I feel myself being drawn to the threads.. But the seriousness with which some people take it is truly amazing.. Mind boggling that this topic would be getting such traction when it's all just nonsense... I guess people are just bored..

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Just the way things are with Apple. Everything is magnified 10 fold.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-09-29)

Quote Originally Posted by mtwiford View Post
    Ok seriously MMI, enough with the ads. I can understand the need to generate revenue and ads are fine but something is wrong when you cannot even scroll down the news feed without having to click out of ads that are popping up on the screen.
    use Adfender ad it's free no more ads popping up after that lol

you know what, i have used the iPhone 3gs, 4, 4s and skipped 5 and 5s and i tell you, the phones aren't suppose to bend easily. it bends like that because either overweight or people put their massive body on top of it to cause it to break or bend. people need to not put their phone in the back pockets, problems solved. front pockets, hummm, only tight jeans can cause the phone to break the screen not bending the whole phone. use your brain people! it's not rocket scientist.
    Last edited by glacius7; 2014-09-28 at 06:23 AM.

iPhone 6 Bend.JPGiPhone 6+ Bend.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    So it takes half as much force to bend an iPhone 6 than it does a Note 3 and Apple considers this a win?

This story is questionable at best considering all the videos I have seen depicting the iPhone 6 as being harder to bend than the 6+.
    You are correct. In fact, I just went to a cellular store (I won't mention which one) & EASILY bent an iPhone 6 & also an iPhone 6+. I only bent them to about 1/8" deflection, but I can say with 100% certainty that the iPhone 6+ ABSOLUTELY bends easier than the iPhone 6. One thing to note is that I was able to bend them back straight about as easy as it was to deform them. Look @ the photos I took & see for yourself!!!
    Last edited by jetsetjoey; 2014-09-28 at 06:56 AM.

People need to temper their expectations here and start thinking reasonably.

This is larger, thinner, lighter phone. This is what consumers were asking for. If there were any compromise on any of these features, we'd be talking about that rather than bendgate right now.

With these 3 factors there is another compromise. Of course apple could have reinforced the phone better but that would probably increase thickness, weight and cost. The compromise here is a slight decrease in flex resistance.

As phones get bigger, thinner and lighter they will also become more prone to damage. The longer the phone, the longer the lever arm and the less force one would need to bend it. Deal with it. Understand that this is more than just a phone. It's an expensive piece of artistic technology that fits in your pocket. It has it's limitations that you now understand. If your can't accept it, then don't buy it. Plain and simple.

Apple has publicly stated that they have only received 9 complaints of bent phones out if the possibly million or so that are in circulation. That's not bad. I can guarantee that the number of broken screens is probably way more than that, and yet why aren't people making a big deal about it? Oh, because they realize that if you drop something with large glass panel, it will break. Well, same situation here. If you sit on something this thin, light, and long while fitting it in your back pocket, it will bend.
    Last edited by Mr-sandman; 2014-09-28 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliebordelon84 View Post
    Uhhhh your joking right? The screen is on the bottom. What's your argument now?
    No I'm wasn't joking. Just didn't look carefully enough. I saw the video while multitasking and for some reason thought it looked like the screen was on top. You are correct the screen is on the bottom so the test results stand.
    Don't have any arguments remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
    Your hip joint, sure. But you have muscle and flesh between the hip joint/thigh bone and phone so it's going to take a lot more force to bend. Now if you're talking about your hip bone, that can only happen if you leave your phone in your pocket and sit down.....with skin tight jeans.
    Most people I have seen who wear skin tight jeans don't really have that much muscle on their thighs. Most females that I see who wear those jeans has more quads than most guys which is very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by mtwiford View Post
    Ok seriously MMI, enough with the ads. I can understand the need to generate revenue and ads are fine but something is wrong when you cannot even scroll down the news feed without having to click out of ads that are popping up on the screen.
    I don't see any ads at all.
    Odd

Quote Originally Posted by Brewko View Post
    Looks like Apple has you brain washed! Do you have any sense in the value of a dollar?
    You don't mind paying $1000.00 for a device that's no stronger than an aluminum can?
    Way to skirt the question with more ridiculous hyperbole! Bravo! I'm not brainwashed nor to I have any intension of buying a 6 or 6+. I just live in a little place called reality. So what is the weight limit for a device to be considered "premium"? What is the dollar price to pounds of pressure ratio?? What are the answers to all these now extremely important questions that nobody gave a crap about a week ago??

You're clearly biased with your hyperbole talk to try to push your point and clearly one of the hater masses not swayed by the fact that when you remove all the sensationalism brought on by the media only NINE phones out of millions have had this issue! If it were any kind of serious issue, if even 1% of phones were effected, we would have THOUSANDS of reported cases.

Let's look at it another way: how many things are used in daily life that are much less durable than Apple's phone, yet people don't freak out about like glasses? Can you sit on Google Glass without breaking it even though it costs like $2,500?? Is there a mass mod going nuts ripped Google to shreds over that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    It's obvious that the way the phone is bent in this video completely ignores the weak spot of the phone. It's clear from the multiple videos of different people bending one with their hands that the volume button area bends easier. The entire phone has to give before it bends at all in the way Consumer Reports is doing it. I think it might be possible to generate a slight bend (not crushing it in half like in all these videos) on the weak part of the phone in ordinary use, but I'm not sure. The best way to prove this will be to just wait out the next few weeks and see how many people are affected.
    You fight criticism over your baseless conjecture with more baseless conjecture? Your "multiple videos from different people" are mostly multiple videos from one guy. Since he was the first to try it, and he started by focusing on the area with the rocker volume buttons, so did everyone else. I have yet to see a video where someone systematically tests the durability of the phone all along it's vertical axis to determine what the weakest point is. And there is absolutely no way to know much much physical force a person is exerting with their bare hands. So again, these so-called "tests" are pretty useless. In fact, if you look at that guy's most recent video where he bends the phone out on the street, he bends it more in the middle of the phone rather than right at the button, which would pretty much disprove your weak theory entirely.

You can't possibly know what the weakest point is without either systematically testing along the entrée phone as I have mentioned, or knowing the physical makeup of all components of the phone, inside and out, and their individual durability. So stop pretending you know everything based off a few internet videos. You are just using them as an excuse to complain about something you don't like and are biased against from the beginning.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-28 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks

So stop pretending you know everything based off a few internet videos. You are just using them as an excuse to complain about something you don't like and are biased against from the beginning.
    Actually I love my iPhone 5s and I'm hoping to upgrade to the 6 Plus as long as this doesn't become a bigger problem. I have said many times that you could be right to say this isn't really a big problem. I'm a little skeptical of anyone doing PR that they might be getting their numbers of reported issues from one specific source like email or something and trying to pass that off as the overall number. Again, that might not be what's happening. Regardless of whether the weak spot is proven, I still think that a test like you mentioned of a bunch of possible weak spots would be more conclusive than this one where the entire phone is forced to snap in half. Sorry if I offended you, I'm not trying to have any hard feelings over my phone like a lot of people do. I just don't think it's 100% proven either way if this phone will bend in ordinary use.

P.S. You speculated that people are lying about sitting on their phones to get returns even though posting on MacRumors has no bearing on a return, so I don't see why you're the only one who gets to speculate about this story.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 2014-09-28 at 04:52 PM.

Not to mention that of the 9 that were reported to be bent, how many of them were used to create stupid advertising driven videos such as this one?

Only time will tell. Let's just hope that if this is a legitimate issue, apple will own up to it and replace them (which I'm sure they will).

Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

Antenna-gate was a legitimate failing of a new phone. Steve Jobs didn't want to admit at first.. but then had to admit - and offered free bumper cases to anyone who wanted them.

Bend-gate is just a drama-producing pile of nonsense. And EVEN knowing that.. Apple offers replacements for any bending issues.... setting themselves for scores 'of YOU' to take advantage of that -- by after getting a 'little nick' on your otherwise perfect phone - then PURPOSEFULLY bend your phone to take it back to Apple and get a new one for free... And people complain about Apple??? What a joke......

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

Simon (2014-09-28)

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Antenna-gate was a legitimate failing of a new phone. Steve Jobs didn't want to admit at first.. but then had to admit - and offered free bumper cases to anyone who wanted them.

Bend-gate is just a drama-producing pile of nonsense. And EVEN knowing that.. Apple offers replacements for any bending issues.... setting themselves for scores 'of YOU' to take advantage of that -- by after getting a 'little nick' on your otherwise perfect phone - then PURPOSEFULLY bend your phone to take it back to Apple and get a new one for free... And people complain about Apple??? What a joke......
    I can see what your saying, people taking advantage and all that; but if your legitimate and buy a new iDevice for X amout of money and it bends in your pocket; You'd be pissed at Apple and want your money back. There is some truth to this issue or Apple wouldn't be replacing iDevices
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast