Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumer Reports to Test iPhone 6 Lineup Bending Issues with New Test

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Consumer Reports to Test iPhone 6 Lineup Bending Issues with New Test
    <param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=3804186139001&playerID=21495733001& playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAEBLslo~,TRCIcidXIoz02P6SYQmtXf Tw7cDMrhEI&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=3804186139001&playerID=21495733 001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAEBLslo~,TRCIcidXIoz02P6SYQ mtXfTw7cDMrhEI&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="556" height="320" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

#Bendgate has been the trending topic for the last couple of days and Apple has been getting jabbed at left and right from consumers and even other smartphone companies. The Cupertino-based company’s iPhone 6 Plus apparently started bending in people’s pockets after only owning the device for a couple of days. Now, Consumer Reports is joining in on the whole thing and reported that they are in the process of doing an authoritative test to find out if this bending issue is true. Consumer Reports recorded a video and announced that they would be doing this test on other devices from other companies as well and not just the iPhone 6 Plus.

Consumer Reports will be using ‘sophisticated machinery’ which will apply as much as 1,000 pounds of force to these devices to test out the problem. They asked the audience to give them several days to experiment and provide accurate results and data to consumers. We shall wait and find out exactly which phones will succumb to pressure and bend and which ones will be perfectly fine. After all, you are talking about 1000 pounds here, which is definitely not a small number. Check out their video above.

Source: Consumer Reports
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-09-25 at 10:55 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Uh, most things will bend under a 1000 pounds of pressure....duh. How about a real test....put the damn thing in your pocket... If you wanna "replicate" what the reports/complaints claim. Put each phone in your pocket, wearing the same size, and make of jeans. In fact, just send all the test models to me Consumer Reports. I'll do it for ya, and I'll just keep the devices as payment 😜

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinknoffcenter For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (2014-09-26), NewD (2014-09-26), SpottedBilagaana (2014-09-26), Zokunei (2014-09-26)

To bad the video doesn't show a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by thinknoffcenter View Post
    Uh, most things will bend under a 1000 pounds of pressure....duh. How about a real test....put the damn thing in your pocket... If you wanna "replicate" what the reports/complaints claim. Put each phone in your pocket, wearing the same size, and make of jeans. In fact, just send all the test models to me Consumer Reports. I'll do it for ya, and I'll just keep the devices as payment ��
    Uhhh? They did not say they will apply 1000 lbs, they said their machine can push with up to 1000 lbs. You seem as confused as the consumer who reads "battery will last up to 10 hours" and thinks it will actually last 10 hours or more.

And the importance of the CR test is that they can actually quantify what force will cause the phone to bend, and this can eventually be compared to the typical forces that can be experienced inside a pocket (which can be measured separately). Seems like a very good methodology to me.

BTW, it is of FORCE not PRESSURE (wrong units).

It doesn't matter where they put it or what machine they test it in, as long as the force they use is the same or similar to it being in a pocket and having a person move around and bend and put pressure on the phone with their body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by thinknoffcenter View Post
    Uh, most things will bend under a 1000 pounds of pressure....duh. How about a real test....put the damn thing in your pocket... If you wanna "replicate" what the reports/complaints claim. Put each phone in your pocket, wearing the same size, and make of jeans. In fact, just send all the test models to me Consumer Reports. I'll do it for ya, and I'll just keep the devices as payment 

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Uhhh? They did not say they will apply 1000 lbs, they said their machine can push with up to 1000 lbs. You seem as confused as the consumer who reads "battery will last up to 10 hours" and thinks it will actually last 10 hours or more.

And the importance of the CR test is that they can actually quantify what force will cause the phone to bend, and this can eventually be compared to the typical forces that can be experienced inside a pocket (which can be measured separately). Seems like a very good methodology to me.

As stated in the above quote, he said the machine can apply up to 1000 pounds of force, not they'll use 1000 pounds for the test. You might want to correct your article.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello they apply 1000 pounds of pressure beginning with less than 1 increasing the pressure to see at what point of pressure it start to bend and according to that they can determine what pressure similar to that one when it bent when you are doing whatever to make it bend. They are not going to apply 1000 pounds suddenly on that iPhone... at the end they will tell you what to do to protect your iPhone from that specific point of pressure or more so you can take better care of it and stop that problem... duh But that don't solve the root of the problem, the problem still there and Apple eventually will have to do something about it, I don't know, maybe instead of focus in another bigger iPhone maybe think about to do it stronger. I can imagine now, iPhone 7 the next strong thing, same size but strongest, big improvement

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post

Why not measure pressure in a pocket and then test that pressure on the phone?

This is ridiculous, and total bs, the phones won't bend on a day to day use, people, how idiotic can you be?

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

they're probably going to see how much pressure it takes to bend the phone and then compare that to real world situations. kind of like how the mythbusters use the force stickers and then explain what it takes for each to break and how that compares to real world situations

They should do a heat test, too. Let's see which will warp or melt faster, aluminum or plastic!

U don't need no iwatch now since the iPhone 6+can be bend around ur wrist 😁

Create useless tests based on purely internet sensationalism: sounds like a brilliant plan!

Maybe next they can test the bending limits of laptop screens, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, pasta makers, etc.

smh

It's just funny they decided to do this and now we find out that only 9 cases have been reported. I wonder if they'll still bother with it. I guess it'll get them some good web traffic (why all the media outlets jumped on it too fgast)and maybe some subscriptions, so they probably will.

Apple claims to have only 9 reported issues of bending, but there are numerous posts from people who had bent phones, took them to the apple store and were told it wasn't covered. Are they making it up, who knows? Were they carrying the phone in their back pocket and sitting on it, who knows? It looks like apple is now covering those phones, maybe, so who knows. Did apple count those phones in their nine?

I have no sympathy from someone who sits on their phone, or drops it, or throws it against the wall.

I do, however, expect any smart phone to be able to be carried in the front pocket of my jeans without bending.

If it is shown that the iphone 6+ is much less rigid than other phones, and will bend if put in situations that most people would think was normal usage, then Apple has an issue.

Pretending that apple does no wrong, however, is just plain foolish.