Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Officially Talks 'Bendgate' Noting it is "Extremely Rare"

Default Apple Officially Talks 'Bendgate' Noting it is "Extremely Rare"

Apple has officially spoken out about the recent claims that the iPhone 6 Plus (and sometimes the iPhone 6) can bend under extreme amounts of pressure inside of someone's front pocket. Unbox Therapy published two videos showing the ability of the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6 aluminum unibody to bend under pressure, with the iPhone 6 Plus being more likely than the sturdier iPhone 6.

What's unfortunate about all of this is that Apple forces affected customers to go through a visual inspection test at an Apple Store before their device can be replaced from the issue, which is obviously a manufacturing defect as the point below the volume buttons appears to be the notorious weak point for the larger devices. If the user's device doesn't pass the inspection test, they have to pay full value of the repairs necessary for the phone to be fixed, which is up in the hundreds of dollars.

So what does Apple have to say about all of this? As usual, the tech giant is great at making a situation seem so miniscule as though it was blown way out of proportion. According to the Cupertino-based company, only nine customers in total have complained about the issue since the amazingly-successful launch of the device just last week, and the company notes that the events are "extremely rare" in everyday conditions:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Our iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. We chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability. We also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards to endure everyday, real life use.

With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare and through our first six days of sale, a total of nine customers have contacted Apple with a bent iPhone 6 Plus. As with any Apple product, if you have questions please contact Apple.
    Not only does the aluminum unibody that the device is made from feature tempering to help with its strength, but it's reinforced with stainless steel and titanium inserts for rigidity and structural soundness. The company also touts the "strongest glass in the smartphone industry" comes with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, making it sturdier than the competition.

While the problem may not be as large as some though it was, it is still a good idea that you protect your very expensive investment with some kind of case that will add even more structural rigidity to it, that way you can prevent unwanted pocket flexing, or impacts, from causing damage to the device's structure. It is expected that as more of the devices get into the hands of its consumers, more reports of this happening will surface. At this point in time, many of those who ordered the new devices are still waiting for their handsets to arrive in the mail.

So far, it would appear that a very small fraction of you guys have experienced the bending issues yourselves, according to our most recent poll.

Sources: Apple via MacRumors

"As usual, the tech giant is great at making a situation seem so miniscule as though it was blown way out of proportion"

That is because it is being blown way out of proportion. Unbox Therapy bought views with this video, and it worked. Nine phones out of millions. People are just making a big deal because it is Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
    "As usual, the tech giant is great at making a situation seem so miniscule as though it was blown way out of proportion"

That is because it is being blown way out of proportion. Unbox Therapy bought views with this video, and it worked. Nine phones out of millions. People are just making a big deal because it is Apple.
    Nine reported incidents out of millions of sales, most of which were iPhone 6 units. The numbers are indeed fluctuated in Apple's favor. There's also the fact that many of us haven't even gotten out 6 Pluses yet because of restraints. I ordered mine on the 12th and mine hasn't even shipped yet. Expect more reports when the device actually gets into users' hands.

Just because nine people reported it to Apple doesn't mean that the problem only happened to nine people. Two people here on ModMyi alone claim they've been affected:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...plus-poll.html

Now I agree it could be blown way out of proportion, but time will tell the truth and right now it's too early on to tell.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-25 at 11:50 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2014-09-26)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post

Apparently, the last two iPhones have had cases of bending, as have the Samsung Galaxy S3/4. I'm assuming the notes are also affected. However, because it's Apple, people are causing a HUGE uproar about it, predicting doom and gloom on Apple etc. when the iPhone 6 was announced, one of my Android loving friends said "Apple has lost it's edge. They just aren't bringing the same quality that they used to." I don't know about you guys, but I think the iPhone 6 is ridiculously awesome. 128gb, 4.7 inch screen, ludicrously thin.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

Aenima133 (2014-09-26), Jj2345 (2014-09-30), mmaboi21 (2014-09-26), Sage I (2014-09-26)

Agreed. Facts given by Apple is reasonable. If intentionally or apply 'extremely rare' force intentionally or not intentionally, surely it will blend.
    Last edited by dlyk13; 2014-09-26 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Apparently, the last two iPhones have had cases of bending, as have the Samsung Galaxy S3/4. I'm assuming the notes are also affected. However, because it's Apple, people are causing a HUGE uproar about it, predicting doom and gloom on Apple etc. when the iPhone 6 was announced, one of my Android loving friends said "Apple has lost it's edge. They just aren't bringing the same quality that they used to." I don't know about you guys, but I think the iPhone 6 is ridiculously awesome. 128gb, 4.7 inch screen, ludicrously thin.
    I always enjoy your comments. took the words right out of my mouth.

Of course its rare, the phone is a week old. Its a design flaw that needs to be fixed, instead of wasting time with damage control and lying just like they did with the iphone 4. Just fix the problem.

LOL! I totally called this one! Out of some 5 million sales, probably millions in the hands and pockets of customers already, only 9 reported cases! Talk about blowing an issue out of proportion! It just goes to prove that anything with "Apple" or "iPhone" in the name will catch fire in the media, no matter how minuscule the issue is! It's just good good of click bait!

As I guessed, this is probably nothing more than a handful of idiots who sat on their phones, bent them slightly, and then went into an Apple store and told a pack of lies to try to get a free replacement so they could avoid basically throwing $700+ down the drain over their own stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Just because nine people reported it to Apple doesn't mean that the problem only happened to nine people. Two people here on ModMyi alone claim they've been affected:
    I agree, but if you think there is a bunch of people who's phones have bent and they didn't get pissed and run in for a replacement right away, then you're crazy. I'd say the additional numbers, if any, are nearly as small.

Also, I would not trust that pole in the slightest. We know of at least two extreme Apple haters that frequent this blog, and I wouldn't put it past either of them to falsely make a claim that they have a bent 6+. They would justify it in their little hater minds by claiming they are representing those who refuse to admit it, or those who aren't on the site, or some BS like that.

Oh look... here's one now!

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Of course its rare, the phone is a week old. Its a design flaw that needs to be fixed, instead of wasting time with damage control and lying just like they did with the iphone 4. Just fix the problem.
    Sure, just stop wasting time trying to figure out if it's a real problem, and admit to being wrong despite what the truth may be! /s

Sounds like someone is just upset that the whole thing seems to be a mild issue that has been blown out of proportion, and now you have nothing to complain about all day. As I had said all along, this is probably just a few incident of people sitting on their phones and lying about how it got broken for refunds.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-26 at 01:56 AM.

This is blown out of proportion, losing faith in humanity by the second

They are Samsung employed!!

Thanks

At first I as a bit upset about this news. After research, I found exactly what is mentioned above..only a few cases of bent iPhone 6+'s out of millions sold. Any phone will bend given enough pressure. My thoughts are this...would you walk around with an iPad mini in your pockets? The 6+ is huge..get holster and call it a day :]

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    At first I as a bit upset about this news. After research, I found exactly what is mentioned above..only a few cases of bent iPhone 6+'s out of millions sold. Any phone will bend given enough pressure. My thoughts are this...would you walk around with an iPad mini in your pockets? The 6+ is huge..get holster and call it a day :]
    I think a lot of people reacted in the same way, especially when that guy posted the video of bending the phone using all his power focused on one point, which bent the phone way more than the actual reported issues. It basically was like throwing gasoline on a fire, or maybe in this case throwing TNT on a fire would be more appropriate!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
    This is blown out of proportion, losing faith in humanity by the second
    Agreed. You're definitely not the only one.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I find it interesting in the video where he says his "focus is more in the center portion" and clearly he is trying to bend the phone at it's weakest point (not necessarily the center). Don't get me wrong this is still a problem, but this doesn't show normal use.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nine people may have reported it, but NUMEROUS test examples prove that there is clearly a manufacturing defect in a specific part of the phone just below the volume buttons.

If an automaker manufactured a defective supplemental restraint system that would result in an airbag not deploying in a collision....and then realized it later on from a few customer complaints.....I'm pretty sure they would correct the problem BEFORE a thousand people smashed their face into the steering wheel. Probably an exaggerated analogy....but the concept is the same. It's a problem and Apple needs to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Yeah man I love my Iphone 6,just got the apple silicon case for it today because it's so slippery

I can go up to $100k Mercedes Benz and bend the thin sheet metal with my bare hands,maybe I should make a YouTube video

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jj2345 For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-09-30)