Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 6 Plus is Subjected to Official 'Bend Test' After Reports of Pocket Bending

Quote Originally Posted by djaquapimp View Post
    Some iPhone 6 Plus Owners Accidentally Bending Their iPhones in Pockets - Mac Rumors

This one reports a very normal use of the phone yet it still bends. Yet everyone has to be lying just to get new phones...
    Gee, thanks for sharing another blog reporting the exact same story. How is this supposed to refute my comment exactly? I also think it's interesting that there are apparently soo many cases of this happening, yet everyone is only citing one instance of it. Could it be mass hysteria from one or even just a few reports that just happened to catch the right internet tailwinds? Wouldn't be the first time! And is it possible that this guy is lying to get a replacement? Absolutely possible and probable.

When itís all said and done, the video in this proves that you have to apply some significant pressure on the device in a very specific location to get it to bend. Itís not rocket science to imagine the placement of a phone in your front pocket and the location and amount of pressure applied while in the pocket, especially since most of us live this every day.

If these stories are in any way true, at the very least these must be some VERY uncomfortable sitters to be putting that much pressure on their phones while sitting around. But even then, I just canít imagine how they are physically applying the right pressure to the right location, as shown in the video, from the phone in their front pocket. But in the back pocket it make perfect logical sense.

I guess we'll have to wit for mythbuster or something to knwo the truth, but to me the physics of it just don't match the story.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (2014-09-26)

Like he said in the video it's where the button cut outs are. That is where the phone frame is the weakest. In the few pictures I've seen scattered that is where it's bent also.

Put the phone on a holster if it's an issue! Even with a little bit of pressure overtime in the same spot it's going to eventually bend it. It does not need the massive amount of force that he put in the video.

6+S will be designed better! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    And people say that Samsung makes cheap phones? Why is it that iPhones bend and Samsung phones do not? If you ask me...Note 3 seems more premium to me.

I dunno about you guys...but I prefer my phones to survive horrific bending tests. Sammy has just shown the world that plastic is truly FANTASTIC!

In the video at the start the phone had a slight bend in it before he bent it. Must've been wearing the wrong pants...

If what people are saying is true that it's bending in the front pocket then that ain't good. If you're gonna test it against any Android then the HTC One Max will be the one to test against.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I actually think it's called LG "Curve"..
    It is the Flex. Pretty impressive as well, bendy screen and self healing back from scratches.

You ever hear the old adage it's what's on the inside that counts ? That's where apple falls flat. And have done for quite a while. I think it's kind of sad that this is what they've come to. A phone that can bend just by being in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Are you kidding me? I don't care what company builds the phone, any phone this big and thin is going to be subject to bending easier than a thicker smaller screen phone. If you want a thin big screen phone then use a little common sense and take care of it properly. Apple builds some of the best quality phones and devices period. Not some plasticy garbage crap other manufacturers pump out.

Thanks

Default iPhone 6 Plus is Subjected to Official 'Bend Test' After Reports of Pocket Be...
    What people seem to be forgetting is that a fraction of the pressure he's putting on the phone persisting over time can cause a fraction of the bend that happens in the video. I would definitely be careful with one of these phones. I really don't think there are any other phones that do this either, as none of them are made from such thin aluminum.

i own an s3 s4 active and an s5 as well as an iphone 5. I can say from personal experience the s3 4 and 5 have all been sat on stepped on dropped all in cases of course. And nothing has happened. I cracked my s3 screen once a week after i bought it before my case came in. The 5 i know is a more rigid phone than the 6 simply because it's thicker but i've never felt comfortable with them they just feel so fragile. I'd prefer a bigger screen and plastic than smaller and glass.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Pro tip: don't sit on your phone.

I know I know, you just have to have that humongous screen, and you have to claim it fits in your front pocket just fine. But if this kind of pressure is occurring in your front pocket, clearly it is by no means comfortable, so you must either be sitting in painful denial, or you're sitting on your phone. And I'm sorry to say, if you're sitting on your phone, you have nobody to blame for the damage but yourself!

I'm just bought a ticket for a raffle in which one of the prizes is a Galaxy S4. If I win it, I'm going to make a similar video to see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by rottdog View Post
    You ever hear the old adage it's what's on the inside that counts ? That's where apple falls flat. And have done for quite a while. I think it's kind of sad that this is what they've come to. A phone that can bend just by being in your pocket.
    It doesn't bend just from being in your pocket. It bends if you sit on it in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    It doesn't bend just from being in your pocket. It bends if you sit on it in your pocket.
    Reports I've heard, the phone was in their front pockets. How do you sit ON your front pockets? This scares me, even though most report it was a 6+. I just got the 6, and now I'm looking at my less than 1 year old 5s and noticing it has a very slight curve to it. Nothing I would have noticed without looking for it, but being that it's only 6 months old, I wouldn't expect to see any curve yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smittyjf View Post
    A friend of mine already had to return his for lines in the screen. it was fine until he had it in his pocket all day. i told him it may have come from the ribbon cable end unseating from its connection point from flexing in his pocket
    One of the very first thing I noticed about my bud's 6 was that it wasn't perfectly straight or flush. And this was right after unboxing the damn thing. It had a slight tweak to it and when set on a flat surface with cam hanging off, it wasn't sitting flush :-/

Not cool.

Thanks

WOW! Do any of the other phones in this category bend and break like that?? What is Apple going to do moving forward? I see a lot of warranty scams about to pop up all over.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    WOW! Do any of the other phones in this category bend and break like that?? What is Apple going to do moving forward? I see a lot of warranty scams about to pop up all over.
    It does make me curious if that will qualify for manufacturer defect for warranties or user mishandling.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    Reports I've heard, the phone was in their front pockets. How do you sit ON your front pockets? This scares me, even though most report it was a 6+. I just got the 6, and now I'm looking at my less than 1 year old 5s and noticing it has a very slight curve to it. Nothing I would have noticed without looking for it, but being that it's only 6 months old, I wouldn't expect to see any curve yet.
    How oanage to put the angle of pressure on the phone as the guy in the photo does with his hands from it being in their front pocket??

Here's what happened: people with very large screen phones tned to put them in their BACK pockets because they can't fit comfortably in the front. So naturally, they sat o ntheir phones and they bent. Will they admit to Apple or their wireless carrier that they sat on their phone when it broke? No way! That's $700+ down the toilet! they're going to lie and say it was their front pocket to egt a refund!

I think it is more likely these people sat on their phones and are lying for refunds than it is that they managed to put that much force and angle of force on their phones while intheir front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    What people seem to be forgetting is that a fraction of the pressure he's putting on the phone persisting over time can cause a fraction of the bend that happens in the video. I would definitely be careful with one of these phones. I really don't think there are any other phones that do this either, as none of them are made from such thin aluminum.
    Not true. If that were true than every phone would eventually bend given enough time. In another video he does the same test with a Note 4, and it too suffered a permanent bend, though not nearly as bad as the iPhone 6+, but it was still there. Considering people keep phones for 2 years, we would be seeing a lot more of this if what you're claiming is true.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-24 at 07:05 PM.

Now Apple will tell us we're wearing the wrong type of pants, or putting in our pocket wrong. Queue the iPants

How oanage to put the angle of pressure on the phone as the guy in the photo does with his hands from it being in their front pocket??

Here's what happened: people with very large screen phones tned to put them in their BACK pockets because they can't fit comfortably in the front. So naturally, they sat o ntheir phones and they bent. Will they admit to Apple or their wireless carrier that they sat on their phone when it broke? No way! That's $700+ down the toilet! they're going to lie and say it was their front pocket to egt a refund!

I think it is more likely these people sat on their phones and are lying for refunds than it is that they managed to put that much force and angle of force on their phones while intheir front pocket.

Not true. If that were true than every phone would eventually bend given enough time. In another video he does the same test with a Note 4, and it too suffered a permanent bend, though not nearly as bad as the iPhone 6+, but it was still there. Considering people keep phones for 2 years, we would be seeing a lot more of this if what you're claiming is true.
    I've never heard of a note or galaxy bending. I could be wrong. I know my ex keeps hers in her back pocket all the time and it has yet to bend.

I'm saying what was reported, since I can't prove they were lying and neither can you. Thank what you want, it still concerns me. Time will tell. Everyone said antennae gate was bogus, but it turned out to be a real problem. I can't see the video or picture, nor can I tell exactly how much pressure they person is using. I can make it look hard or easy to pick up an feather, and a picture or video isn't going to reflect the exact amount of force that was needed to do something. Plus, we are talking small bending, not bending to the point the picture/video is taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    Must've been someone with tight pants then! I put one in my pocket and it was fine even sitting down. But either way, that's another reason why I'm glad to have picked the 6 instead. The 6+ isn't quite as portable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    it's just weird that when he was trying to bend the phone, the phone time was 2:26 but after he bent it, the phone time was 1:58? What was that?

anyone noticed that the phone time was 2:26 when he was trying to bend it but it was 1:58 after he bent it?
    Last edited by a3_21121; 2014-09-24 at 07:29 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to a3_21121 For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (2014-09-24)

Here's what happened: people with very large screen phones tned to put them in their BACK pockets because they can't fit comfortably in the front.
    Glad you're answering for everyone here.

I have a HTC One M8 which is just smaller than a Note 3 in height. Not once have I ever put it in my back pocket. It's not bent either.

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Must've been someone with tight pants then! I put one in my pocket and it was fine even sitting down. But either way, that's another reason why I'm glad to have picked the 6 instead. The 6+ isn't quite as portable.
    Agreed. I, too, opted for the smaller 6. And I think it would take a decent amount of force to bend any of these phones, but if there's a weak spot, it could cause it to bend with minimal force over a little bit of time, and that's not good.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast