Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 30 Awesome Features That Come With iOS 8 [Video]

Default 30 Awesome Features that Come With iOS 8 [Video]

If you have iOS 8 already, or you're planning to install it soon (you will lose your jailbreak if you're jailbroken and upgrade to iOS 8), then you might be interested in some of the new features that come with iOS 8. In this post, we will be going over 30 features that iOS 8 users can take advantage of on their devices.

1. You can access your favorite contacts from the App Switcher

iOS 8 includes a new feature that lets you access your favorite contacts from the App Switcher. When you open the App Switcher, all of the contacts that you've talked to recently will appear at the front of the list, while contacts that you don't talk to as often appear at the end. You can tap on their names to send messages or phone calls to those contacts, or you can just go about your multitasking experience and ignore the contact buttons altogether!

2. You can see what apps are using the most of your battery life

iOS 8 comes with a battery usage under Settings > General > Usage that lets you see what applications on your device are consuming the most of your battery life. This new feature is much like OS X Mavericks and later, although it's more detailed. It will help you decide which applications you need to manage more strictly, or even delete just to save yourself a little bit of battery life. This is a feature that Apple has needed for some time on its mobile devices, and it's great to finally have it.

3. You can request desktop versions of Web sites in Mobile Safari

Another thing that will be useful for you is a new feature in Mobile Safari that lets you ditch the mobile version of a Web site and request a desktop version of that Web site. You can do so by pulling down from the top of the Web browser, and you'll see a button that says, "request desktop version." Many times, the mobile versions of Web sites are too dumbed-down to do what you want with them, and you just need that desktop version. Well, here you go!

4. You can use Touch ID for third-party applications

Apple has finally allowed developers to tap into the power of Touch ID in iOS 8 by way of a new API. Many applications have already, and many more are coming, that support Touch ID. One of the more popular is 1Password, which is used for storing all of your personal information with a single password. Now, instead of using a password, you can just use your fingerprint in iOS 8 – pretty cool, huh?

4. The built-in QuickType keyboard guesses what you say before you say it

iOS 8 comes with a beefed up keyboard with a new suggestion bar at the top that attempts to guess your words before you actually type them. Over time, QuickType will learn the way you talk and it will suggest words based on that. This way, you can just tap on the word instead of having to type it out, and in the long run, it should help you type faster – especially with those longer words that you really don't know how to spell.

5. You can download and use third-party keyboards

Apple has finally opened up the ability to use third-party keyboards in iOS 8. What this means is you no longer have to use Apple's keyboard to type in applications in iOS. You now have the option to use keyboards like Flesky keyboard, Swype, and even SwiftKey. There are also many others. They're available to download in the App Store, and we even took the liberty of writing a guide on how to install and enable them that you can read at this link.

6. You can now quickly reply to notifications right from the notification banner

Another sought after feature in iOS 8 is the new quick reply feature that allows you to reply to a text message or iMessage from anywhere with the new integrated notification reply feature. Apple has also included a developer API so that third-party developers, such as Facebook, Twitter, and many others, can develop interactive notifications that let you perform actions right from the notification banner without ever having to leave the application that you're in. It's pretty cool, and we're sure you'll really like this one.

7. Improvements to group messaging in the Messages application

Apple has seriously beefed up the group messaging feature in iOS 8 with the ability to add and remove contacts, re-name the group message conversation, and much more with a snazzy new user interface.

8. You can now mute conversations in the Messages application

When it comes to those really annoying people that text message you CONSTANTLY, you might enjoy a new feature in iOS 8 that allows you to mute that specific conversation so that you're not receiving a never-ending chain of notifications, one after another, after another, after another. A new Details button in a conversation brings you to a new user interface that lets you enable Do Not Disturb for a specific conversation, and that's how a muted conversation is toggled on.

9. You can now send voice messages in the Messages application

New in iOS 8 is a voice message sending feature that you can use in the Messages application, much like the Facebook Messenger voice message sending function, that lets you record your voice and then send that recording to the person you're texting. This is great when you're driving and want to communicate while still keeping your eyes on the road. It's very simple to use, just by tapping and holding on the new microphone button in the interface, and then dragging up to send it.

9. Recording video messages to send in the Messages application is easier

A new button in the Messages application now makes it so that you can record video messages to send very easily right from the text box. Just tap and hold, and you'll be recording video, and then you can swipe up to send it, just like the voice messaging feature.

10. Photo-editing is much more interactive

You may be used to the simple and automatic photo editing that comes with iOS 7, but iOS 8 lets you really go in-depth with photo editing and change features manually so that you get exactly the effect that you want post-photography. This is done from the Edit menu while viewing a photograph in the Photos application.

11. It's easier to share your location with friends in the Messages application

iOS 8 makes it so that you can easily send your location in the Messages application with any of your friends or family. You can just tap on the Details button in a conversation and then tap on the "send my current location" button to send them a map of where you are. They can then tap on it to get directions to you, and this makes it much easier than having to describe to someone where you are.

12. It's easier to see all of your media attachments from a conversation

iOS 8's new Messages application Details pane makes it so that you can see all of the attachments you've sent and received in a message conversation, whether they're videos, photos, or voice messages. It just makes accessing things that much easier for you.

13. It's even easier to share more than one photo at a time

Rather than having to select each photo individually before sending your message in iOS 7, iOS 8 makes it so that you can select multiple photos at once before sending them to a recipient so that you don't have to go through the image picker more than one – pretty nifty, eh?

14. You can now take photographs with a timer

iOS 8 includes a new timer feature in the Camera application that lets you pick between waiting 3 or 10 seconds before taking a picture. It's perfect for standing your iPhone up on a tripod and jumping into the shot before the device snaps it!

15. You can take advantage of third-party widgets

iOS 8 finally allows developers to create third-party Notification Center widgets that relate to their applications. The widgets allow you to perform actions, or see information, and many new widgets have already been implemented, with more on their way. This is a feature that you used to have to jailbreak for, and now thanks to iOS 8, it comes stock with iOS. A new Edit button in Notification Center lets you manage all of your widgets right from Notification Center.

16. New medical information appears under the Emergency Call screen

Since a big part of iOS 8 includes your health, Apple has improved the Emergency Call screen with a new Medical ID screen that shows information about you in case of an emergency, such as your blood type, family to contact, conditions that you have, medications you might be on, and much more. This will be helpful for paramedics that need quick access to who you are and what to do with you when they're trying to save your life.

17. A new Health application for tracking your fitness and health

iOS 8 includes a new Health application that lets you track your health and fitness. Here, you can keep track of information like your weight, blood pressure, diet, and much more. The age of using technology to become healthier, rather than fatter, has dawned upon us with iOS 8!

18. iCloud Photo (beta) for keeping all of your device's pictures in sync with one another

iCloud Photo (currently in beta) comes with iOS 8, and makes it so that you can have all of your photos that you take stored in iCloud where all of your devices can access and share or edit them. If differs from Photo Stream, because Photo Stream has fewer features and iCloud Photo will give you more flexibility with the photographs that you take –*kind of like additional cloud storage, rather than a duplicate of what you've already taken in a stream in the cloud.

19. Siri is even smarter with built-in Shazam functionality

iOS 8 also gives Siri some new features, one of the new ones being that Siri can use built-in Shazam functionality to tell you what music is playing in the background. The Shazam application is not required to use this feature, and a link to iTunes is included in case you wanted to buy the song after tagging it.

20. Maps in iOS 8 now include flyover tours

Have you ever wanted more information about an area before you visited it? – iOS 8 has you covered with new flyover tours in the Maps application. You can just search for one of the places that Maps supports flyover tours for, such as New York City, New York and Maps will give you a tour of the city and cool things to do there. It could be much more time-efficient than trying to Google everything yourself.

21. Configure your sharing options

If you were annoyed by the abundance of sharing options in iOS 7 that you didn't need, or annoyed by the fact that there weren't enough sharing options, iOS 8 now allows you to customize the sharing sheet with things that you want to use to share. You can enable or disable anything you want third-party application-wise, and add more based on the applications you have installed.

22. App Store now offers you bundled applications

If you've ever wanted to download multiple applications from the same developer, then you'll love Apple's new iOS 8 bundles. The new bundles allow you to buy sets of applications by a developer, and rather than buying them one at a time, you can buy them all at once and even save some money doing it. If you have downloaded one of the applications in a bundle already, Apple offers a 'complete my bundle' feature from the App Store too. Third-party developers can control the bundles that they offer in Apple's App Store, which is great for developers.

23. iOS 8's Camera application now supports time lapse photography

The Camera application in iOS 8 now supports the ability to take time lapse videos, which means that when you record something over a period of time, it will play back much faster than you recorded it. It's nice for taking long videos of sunsets or ocean waves and playing them back much faster for awesome visual effects.

24. You can now open Siri with your voice when plugged into a power source

With iOS 8, rather than pressing and holding on the Home Button to open Siri, you can now simply say "Hey Siri" while you're plugged into a power source in order to have Siri open up so that you can ask her a question. The requirement to be connected to a power source is because having a background service waiting for you to say, "Hey Siri" will eat up battery life.

25. A new Metal gaming API

iOS 8 includes a new gaming API for developers called Metal, which works on A7 and later devices. The new Metal gaming API offers gaming performance improvements for much more realistic graphics that are much faster than devices that cannot run Metal. It's a great step in the right direction for gamers on the iOS platform.

26. SpotLight has been given a new look with new features

In iOS 8, Apple has really out-done themselves with SpotLight with an all-new look that appears similar to the new SpotLight in OS X Yosemite, as well as new Web search results that automatically query the Web for you without booting you to the Safari application when you tap on the "Open in Web" button. A new blur effect also makes SpotLight much sexier when opening it from the Home Screen.

27. Real-time Siri Dictation

iOS 8 also makes it so that when you're using Siri Dictation, your words appear in the text box in real-time as you're talking. This means that as you begin to speak a message, it will type out at the same time. There's no more waiting until you're finished speaking like you had to in iOS 7 and earlier.

28. Capture your display on your Mac OS X Yosemite machine with QuickTime

Paired with OS X Yosemite, you can now natively capture your display in video with QuickTime without the need for third-party software. This is useful for reviewers, or even for those that want to show someone how to do something. It's a nice touch, but it does require Mac OS X Yosemite, and won't work on earlier versions of Mac OS X or any versions of Windows or Linux.

29. A new Tips application teaches you about features in your operating system

iOS 8 includes a new application called Tips that updates every so often to help you learn about features in your operating system. The features may be easy features, or more advanced features, but they're intended to help you utilize more features of your iOS 8 device that you may not have known about, and it's a great idea.

30. Continuity lets your devices all seamlessly integrate with one another

iOS 8 includes a new feature called Continuity that makes it so that all of your iOS 8 devices and Macs can integrate with one another. This means you can answer SMS and phone calls on non-iPhone devices, like your iPod touch, iPad, and Mac. There's also a feature called Handoff that makes it so that you can start a project on one device and then finish it on another. Continuity isn't fully available to everyone yet, but it will be later this year and it's one thing worth upgrading for!

You can watch our video overview below:

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-24 at 06:51 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (2014-09-22), dsg (2014-09-23)

are you trying to make people lose there Jailbreak?

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    are you trying to make people lose there Jailbreak?
    No.

Update only if you don't mind losing the amazing features and openness of jailbreaking.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (2014-09-22), dsg (2014-09-22), jsuddu0109 (2014-09-22)

good, but this could make people update and they could be sorry for doing so!
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

good, but this could make people update and they could be sorry for doing so!
    The only thing that would make people update is tapping on the OTA button (on non-jailbroken devices) or clicking Update in iTunes :P.

no, offering people things they think they need(oooh that's shiny) could force them to upgrade

no, offering people things they think they need(oooh that's shiny) could force them to upgrade
    Naw :P. That's just impulse and 100% user action. No forcing on our part, ha!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-09-22), stolenpentium (2014-09-22)

lol

Default 30 Awesome Features That Come With iOS 8 [Video]
    Listen, dsg, people are not toddlers, if they update and forfeit their jailbreak it's their damn fault for being an idiot, Anthony is just highlighting some of the nice things that iOS 8 brings, that's it, he's not forcing anyone to update, if someone is dumb enough to update then they deserve to lose their jailbreak in the first place for being idiotic.

Now, if you were joking around then it's all cool =P lol

*Sorry*

Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
    Listen, dsg, people are not toddlers, if they update and forfeit their jailbreak it's their damn fault for being an idiot, Anthony is just highlighting some of the nice things that iOS 8 brings, that's it, he's not forcing anyone to update, if someone is dumb enough to update then they deserve to lose their jailbreak in the first place for being idiotic.

Now, if you were joking around then it's all cool =P lol
    edit: no, they could be better educated that if they update they will lose their jailbreak, highlighting is dangerous and Anthony knows this!!!
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-09-22 at 11:38 PM.

bite me
    I just updated my post as I figured you were just joking around =p

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Al226 For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-09-22)

Anyone who updates is not knowledgeable enough about jailbreaking to truly miss a jailbroken device.

Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
    I just updated my post as I figured you were just joking around =p
    C'mon you know how it is. I just went to Walmart and saw unlimited products as soon as I walked thru the door. Damn them for forcing me to spend all of my money buying everything on display--or, in real life, they're just showing me items that they carry that I can buy IF I so choose.

Dsg, I respect you around here, but Anthony was clearly illustrating the pros of iOS 8 for those of us who got new iPhones (or lost a jailbreak) and are stuck with it for now. No malicious intent. Some of the stuff he highlighted I didn't even know existed (spotlight for example, as I never used to use it). The only things that can coerce me is a gun to my head or a vagina.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpetabread For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-09-22), jsuddu0109 (2014-09-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    Anyone who updates is not knowledgeable enough about jailbreaking to truly miss a jailbroken device.
    not true, there are new jailbreakers that do not know!!!, and have the right to find out!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpetabread View Post
    C'mon you know how it is. I just went to Walmart and saw unlimited products as soon as I walked thru the door. Damn them for forcing me to spend all of my money buying everything on display--or, in real life, they're just showing me items that they carry that I can buy IF I so choose.

Dsg, I respect you around here, but Anthony was clearly illustrating the pros of iOS 8 for those of us who got new iPhones (or lost a jailbreak) and are stuck with it for now. No malicious intent. Some of the stuff he highlighted I didn't even know existed (spotlight for example, as I never used to use it). The only things that can coerce me is a gun to my head or a vagina.
    Edit: I know but their are people that have only just joined and don't understand that they can lose their jailbreak and people like: Al226, Rcworship don't seem to understand that
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-09-22 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks

Every time I've upgraded and lost my jailbreak it hasn't been on purpose... I've been stuck in endless bootloops a few times and after all known methods for exiting failed I had no choice to restore and upgrade... Now is one of those times... Been without a jailbreak since just before the pangu jailbreak and it's been weird... I decided to just wait it out until the new iPhones came out and the 6plus and iOS 8 are jailbreakable... I'm on 8.0 now and it's alright, can't imagine how dope it will be after its jail broken... Stoked to finally have native quick reply though...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for this article. As I play with my new iPhone, this article taught me some new stuff.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You started this article with a howler. iOS 7 can have a first page as blank. Possibly even earlier versions.

Default 30 Awesome Features That Come With iOS 8 [Video]
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

1. You can have a blank first page on your Home Screen

You heard that right. iOS 8 is the first version of iOS that allows you to have a blank first page on your Home Screen. You might be wondering how this will ever be helpful to you well, if a jailbreak comes along, now you can add Home Screen widgets to the first page on your Home Screen without having to use a jailbreak tweak to make your first page blank. That's definitely a plus!

The blank first page was already a feature in iOS7. I only know this because my girlfriend was all excited about having a blank home screen in order for her to view the full background image and her device was not jail broken and she had iOS 7.0.2 I believe it was not sure but the one previous to the last iOS7 update that was released for the 4S.
    Last edited by zeroskater61; 2014-09-22 at 11:24 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

How about further explaining the way to see if you were blocked option?
    Thanks
    Last edited by n0m0n; 2014-09-22 at 03:34 PM.
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast