Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Customers Being Charged More for Not Switching to AT&T Next on Mobile Devices

Default AT&T Customers Being Charged More for Not Switching to AT&T Next on Mobile De...
    Quote Originally Posted by jw154j View Post
    First of all, any customer that sees an INCREASE in their bill by renewing a 2 year contract has no excuse to be upset. This is because on 2/2/2014 AT&T introduced Mobile Share Value Plans. At that time customers with a prior 2 year contract (still in effect or expired) were given the opportunity to take advantage of lower prices while maintaining their current device and contract. I was one who was eligible and chose to change to the 10 GB share plan that saved me $80 monthly over 4 lines.
    On EVERY bill it states under each line's details:
    Mobile Share Value iPhone on 4G LTE = +$40.00
    Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings = -$25.00
    *The main line shows the data charge: "Mobile Share Value Plan 10GB = $100.00"

The $40.00 has always been there, it didn't just magically appear when I decided to upgrade.
    Prior to that was the old school plans where you paid $25, $30, or $50 for data per line; $10 for each secondary access line, $30 for Texting, and $50-$210 for a bucket of minutes.
    ---notice that the old "data" plan is the new "line access", and the old "Talk+Text" price is the new "Data plan".
    Nothing here is new, the mobile industry just changed what charges go to what service: "how much data do you need; and everything else is just included"

When upgrading to my 128GB iPhone 6, there were 4 options:
    1.) pay full retail price. (Line discounted $25/mo)
    2.) pay $42.50/mo for 20 months (trade-in after 12mo): $510 after 12 months, $850 after 20 months. (Line discounted $25/mo)
    3.) pay $35.42/mo for 24 months (trade-in after 18 mo): $637 after 18 months, $850 after 24 months. (Line discounted $25/mo)
    4.) pay $399+$40 upgrade fee and sign a 2 year contract (I wasn't eligible for this due to still being under contract from iPhone 5s last year) ---If I were eligible and chose this method then the "Mobile value No-contract discount" of $25 would come off my account for this line. You can't have your cake (subsidized phone price) and eat it (discount for not-subsidizing phone) too!

TOTAL PAID FOR iPhone 6 under each of the above senarios:
    1.) $849-$600 (2 yr subsidized discount of $25/mo)= $249
    2.) $510-$300 (12 mo discount) = $210 (trade-in at 12 months) or $849-$500 (20 mo discount) = $349
    3.) $637-$450 (18 mo discount) = $187 (trade-in at 18 months) or $849-$600 (24 mo discount) = $249
    4.) $440 upfront + 2 yr missed discount ($600) = $1,040.

So I will pay $210 for my iPhone 6, and trade it in next year for the iPhone 6s. (Previous years I would have to pay $250 for "early" upgrade fee and pay the $199-$399 for the iPhone, then try to trade-in or sell the device myself each year.

Bottom line is, AT&T is NOT "charging" more, you just want something for free.
    If u do not pay off the phone early on NEXT, it's a crappy deal since u trade the phone after a set time for early upgrade( I think u have to pay at least 12mo or 18 mo depending on which plan you go with). Trade phone and start over.
    I prefer no trade in as I pass the phone to my son or prefer to sell it.

So I will it off early. If you subsidize the phone and have a 10gb mobile share plan you pay more for the phone period.

On the lower data plans it's more of a wash. Yes I could drop to lower data plan and pay less but with 3 smartphones 6gb plan is actual more when you factor the $25 vs $15 discount.
    It really gets to be BS with these stupid plans. I really need to monitor data usage and see if I can drop to less than 6 gb.
    The big boys really have us over the barrel till sprint and T- mobile network catch up speed wise with proper coverage in the US.

That's my 2 cents for what it is worth.

What's Jailbreak?
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    So after reading all these posts I am still confused. Either way I am going to be charged monthly to pay off the phone. What if I buy an unlocked phone outright. Do I still get charged all these b.s. Monthly fees?

If you bring in an unlocked device you still get the $15 to 25 monthly Discount (depending on how much data you get).

Once again, there aren't any "monthly fees" for buying a phone. The base price is the SAME for everyone. If you don't sign a 2-year contract to get your phone discounted then you get that discount off of your monthly bill.

Either get a discount off the phone's purchase price, or get the discount on each bill.
    It's one or the other, NOT both.

Quote Originally Posted by Parana6 View Post
    I have four lines with att on a family share of 10 gb. I did see that if I had bought the iPhone 6 on a two year contract I would lose a 15 dollar discount that they give you, so I canceled it. They did in fact unlocked my 5s and I'm trying T-Mobile now on a prepaid plan, and I think I will switch for a savings of 100 bucks a month.
    How do you figure saving $100 a month?

4 iPhones (or smartphones) on AT&T with SHARED 10 GB of data is $160 a month.
    T-mobile "promotion" is $100 a month for 4 lines, but with a BIG asterisk.... only 2.5GB per line is 4G. So if you have a heavy user and a minimum user, they don't "share". and When you hit the cap, it's like slow DSL speed. And again, it's a "PROMO", the normal is 4GB for $100 (1GB per line at 4G/LTE).
    Last edited by jw154j; 2014-09-20 at 02:49 PM.

That discount is the issue over 2 years you can pay more than buying the phone outright. It's not a little extra either

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Default AT&T Customers Being Charged More for Not Switching to AT&T Next on Mobile De...
    NEXT plans are a rip IF you like to still own your old phone or sell it on eBay for a profit.

But If you like nice new phone every year for no down payment, trading in your old phone and don't mind an extra $30/month on top of your plan rate - then NEXT is a good choice for you. Pros & cons to both.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    NEXT plans are a rip IF you like to still own your old phone or sell it on eBay for a profit.

But If you like nice new phone every year for no down payment, trading in your old phone and don't mind an extra $30/month on top of your plan rate - then NEXT is a good choice for you. Pros & cons to both.
    The Next plan is only bad if you don't fully pay it off in my humble opinion.
    Pay off the phone is yours and you avoid paying more when subsidized at least on mobile share plan.

Bottom line is neither AT&T or verizon charge high rates for data and find creative ways to make money on paying for the phones. Don't forget that's their business and they are both good at it.

I don't lump sprint and T-Mobile in with them because in my area they are not good for coverage/ speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I'm really thinking of giving up my unlimited data plan on ATT. I have hit my 5GB caps a few times and have to tell ya, when ATT throttles you down? They might as well just turn off your data. It's useless, everything is so slow and a lot of apps don't even work right. Did a speed test and was only getting 120kbps download

Now i did a comparison of what I have now, to the mobile share plan with 10GB and it's $15.00 cheaper than what I'm paying now, plus then i could tether and hotspot also. I don't see myself ever going over 10GB a month, plus that eliminates the need for the MyWi app in cydia.
    Precisely my experience. I was in Hawaii for business when I hit my cap. Phone was useless, had to surrender my unlimited plan. This was back when they had just started this BS. I had no choice but to relinquish my unlimited plan. But you know what, I haven't changed my habits at all, normally don't come close to my limit, and with the family share plans, I'm paying less then ever before, and as you say, I have tethering which is an additional cost on the older plans. I can't complain much. Who's surprised that AT&T is trying to motivate their customers to go to the next plan? They made it clear that subsidized phones are going away. THATS what sucks, the rest is just implementation. If you want to be pissed, be pissed that the cessation of subsidized phones is nothing more then a blatant cash grab by the carriers, the manufacturers were always making what they were making,but the phone companies have decided we will all pay full price now, just because we have few other options, and as it matures, you'll have even less options and will have to pay.

I'm considering just going to the secondhand market exclusively. If I could by a square trade warrant for a seed hand phone, it would be a no brainer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    The Next plan is only bad if you don't fully pay it off in my humble opinion.
    Pay off the phone is yours and you avoid paying more when subsidized at least on mobile share plan.
    Actually it's a little better than even that. Most people aren't really understanding the NEXT plans. When you get your new phone, the next year, your payment plan restarts from zero so you never really ever have to pay up to the 18 months or the 24 months of the NEXT plan. Think of it like leasing a car. Once you're done with the lease, and you get a new one, the lease all starts over. You don't owe them the remainder from 12 months up to 18 or 24.

You just have to get used to having an extra $30 a month in your monthly payment perpetually.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You probably have a family plan but not a mobile share family plan.

You most likely pay $30-35 per iphone, a monthly rate for the family plan and then a certain amount for your texts. My old plan was 2 x $30/phone, $75 for service & $20 for unlimited texts. Total before taxes = $155/mth
    So I would just pay a one time fee of $40 per line correct? This does sound correct to me. So I'm not worried then.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
    So I would just pay a one time fee of $40 per line correct? This does sound correct to me. So I'm not worried then.
    Correct. It's always been a $38 activation fee per line whenever you upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Actually it's a little better than even that. Most people aren't really understanding the NEXT plans. When you get your new phone, the next year, your payment plan restarts from zero so you never really ever have to pay up to the 18 months or the 24 months of the NEXT plan. Think of it like leasing a car. Once you're done with the lease, and you get a new one, the lease all starts over. You don't owe them the remainder from 12 months up to 18 or 24.

You just have to get used to having an extra $30 a month in your monthly payment perpetually.
    Excellent analogy
    If you don't mind giving up the phone then it's a very good plan with that attitude.
    With my mobile share plan and the discount having the extra cost going forward is not a real big deal, If you look at it as a lease.

I still prefer to pay it off, on the phone and then do what I wish with it without paying AT&T a premiumwhat's the subsidy. But that's my opinion Which likely is not perfect
    Was dictated with my iPhone 6 plus

Quote Originally Posted by jw154j View Post
    You are correct. Since you have an old plan, you can keep your plan and just upgrade your phone for the $299+$40 (one-time upgrade fee).
    HOWEVER, I would look into comparing your plan with the current plans to make sure you have the best option. Since you're dad has capped data, and you have unlimited there area pros and cons to staying or switching plans.

2 lines with Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and 10 GB shared data = $130-155
    Ok, thank you very much for the info. I'd already ordered my case so I was going to be really pissed if I didn't end up getting it because of this. As far as the plan goes, it's like they always say, why fix what's not broken? But again, thank you so much, very appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    That discount is the issue over 2 years you can pay more than buying the phone outright. It's not a little extra either
    The discount is $25/month (10GB+ plans)
    $25x24mo = $600
    Retail price of phone=$649-$949 ($49-$349 after getting discount over 2yrs)
    2yr contract phone= $199-$499 ($799-$1099 after missing out on the discount over 2yrs)
    Where are you paying more with NEXT? You pay a lot more by choosing 2yr contract!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you buy with Next can you pay the phone off within a couple months time instead of streatching it out? Do you have to trade in the phone or can you keep it and sell yourself once its paid off?

"After 12 months, a customer can opt to upgrade their device. But for the early upgrade to work, AT&T requires a trade-in with the customer's current phone or tablet in "good and functional condition." Accounts must be in good standing, i.e. you've consistently paid your monthly bills on time and aren't in the hole."

Is that only if the phone isn't paid off? Or regardless?

Green Apple
    Thanks

After reading this post I was furious thinking my service would go up so I never activated my iPhone 6+ that I preordered at full retail price. I went to an AT&T store and asked about this and they said if u pay full retail price it doesn't effect your existing contract and your bill will be the same. I'm already on the mobile share plan with 10gb of data. I think this only effects people that aren't on the share plan or those who have less than 10gb of data.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainc21 View Post
    After reading this post I was furious thinking my service would go up so I never activated my iPhone 6+ that I preordered at full retail price. I went to an AT&T store and asked about this and they said if u pay full retail price it doesn't effect your existing contract and your bill will be the same. I'm already on the mobile share plan with 10gb of data. I think this only effects people that aren't on the share plan or those who have less than 10gb of data.
    If you paid full retail, then you're basically buying an unlocked phone! You own the device, therefore, you don't pay for any subsidizing.

Not giving up my unlimited data. I use 10-15gb alone so I dont mind paying the $40 fee for upgrade.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anekin007 For This Useful Post:

Sniper488 (2014-09-21)

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    Not giving up my unlimited data. I use 10-15gb alone so I dont mind paying the $40 fee for upgrade.
    Same here, unlimited data on wife's and my iPhone and also iPad!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    How can you bear the throttling speeds after 5GB with AT&T. Unlimited has never been truly unlimited with AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    If you buy with Next can you pay the phone off within a couple months time instead of streatching it out? Do you have to trade in the phone or can you keep it and sell yourself once its paid off?

"After 12 months, a customer can opt to upgrade their device. But for the early upgrade to work, AT&T requires a trade-in with the customer's current phone or tablet in "good and functional condition." Accounts must be in good standing, i.e. you've consistently paid your monthly bills on time and aren't in the hole."

Is that only if the phone isn't paid off? Or regardless?
    You should be able to just pay the phone off and keep it and sell it....:

AT&T Next installment plans for smartphones - AT&T Wireless

I'm thinking about making the switch to T-Mobile for their unlimited data plans.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast