Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Customers Being Charged More for Not Switching to AT&T Next on Mobile Devices

with Next when you upgrade to the next phone you have to turn in your old phone right?

Quote Originally Posted by adsn76 View Post
    with Next when you upgrade to the next phone you have to turn in your old phone right?
    Yes unless you buy it out right before the upgrade which I intend to do. In fact, I'm going to wait a month or 2 and just pay for it and be done.

If you use the next program is the phone unlocked?

I don't think so. Once it's paid for I would guess you could get it unlocked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nealh For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-09-20)

I pre-ordered an iPhone 6 on Sept 12. It was delivered today and after an hour be turned up, I get a text from ATT that I need to get a new sim from an ATT store. So I go to the local store and asked for a new sim card. The rep gets the new sim and low and behold my phone doesn't work. No Signal, after 45 mins and 1 new iPhone 6 activation later. He calls ATT tech support and they tell him they cant fix it. During this whole deal, I asked him about the Next program. My pre-order phone was purchased with a 2 year contract. After going over all the numbers, I came to the same conclusion as above. I am lucky enough to be a small town and my local store had four iPhone 6's and one 6+ left at 3pm. So, I purchased a iPhone 6 64gb Space Gray using the NEXT program and I am shipping back the pre-ordered phone, thus saving a minimum of $110 over 20 months. On the phone front, the pre-ordered phone never got signal and my new NEXT iPhone was activated 5 mins after the purchase. ATT was really confusing and needed to come out earlier to explain the difference between the 2 yr contract and the NEXT. Anyway, I have one phone and the other is in a box with a return label.

I do agree it was confusing and AT&T did a lousy job on clarity with this issue.

But I read the info on the NEXT and what would happen to my bill with a subsidized phone and there was no question in my humble opinion, a subsidized phone was great deal for AT&T NOT me!

I would never use NEXT with the trade in again, crappy deal for me. I will just pay it off since I pass my old phone each year to my son.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nealh For This Useful Post:

stolenpentium (2014-09-20)

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    One more reason why I'll never go back to AT&T...
    I switch to T-mobile from AT&T about 3 hours sago. At&T can kiss my *****

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barondebxl For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (2014-09-20), stolenpentium (2014-09-20)

wait so I don't have mobile share. My wife and I both have an unlimited data plan. Like the one you would have gotten back when the iphones first came out. From what I saw I would only pay $40. So does that mean its a one time $40 or added every month?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrp192 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default AT&T Customers Being Charged More for Not Switching to AT&T Next on Mobile De...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
    wait so I don't have mobile share. My wife and I both have an unlimited data plan. Like the one you would have gotten back when the iphones first came out. From what I saw I would only pay $40. So does that mean its a one time $40 or added every month?
    You probably have a family plan but not a mobile share family plan.

You most likely pay $30-35 per iphone, a monthly rate for the family plan and then a certain amount for your texts. My old plan was 2 x $30/phone, $75 for service & $20 for unlimited texts. Total before taxes = $155/mth
    Last edited by thazsar; 2014-09-20 at 02:39 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone TT KH's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been with AT&T for 7 yrs, family share plan for $130 unlimited talk, text and 10gb. It's the 2 years contract or next is a better deal?

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    I do agree it was confusing and AT&T did a lousy job on clarity with this issue.

But I read the info on the NEXT and what would happen to my bill with a subsidized phone and there was no question in my humble opinion, a subsidized phone was great deal for AT&T NOT me!

I would never use NEXT with the trade in again, crappy deal for me. I will just pay it off since I pass my old phone each year to my son.
    With Next its a difference of $12 per phone with the Mobile Share program. I traded-in two iPhones (Verizon I5 and I4) to get $250, which will be applied to the account. I had the unlimited plan on 3 phones in my family plan, but I abandoned the unlimited plans because they cost too much and AT&T throttled the speed too much. I like how you can upgrade after a year and no $40 upgrade fee.

What's Jailbreak?
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevymusclecar View Post
    If you use the next program is the phone unlocked?
    Not until you pay off the device. Then yes they will unlock it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jw154j For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-09-20)

Ok so I haven't been able to find a completely crystal clear answer on here for my question so I'll just ask it.
    So my current AT&T plan has me and my dad on it. As far as I know, it's never changed ever since I got my iPhone 3G many years ago (2008/2009ish). My dad had a Razr phone before I got an iPhone and added me on his plan. My iPhone plan is unlimited text, call, and a grandfathered unlimited data plan. My dad switched to a Galaxy phone and has unlimited text and call (I think) and a certain amount of data cap (not sure, can't remember). Anyway, I planned on upgrading to the 6, but I saw this thread and now I'm a little cautious to go about upgrading. My upgrade is in October, so I was wondering would there be any extra charges to the bill if I did a regular upgrade (wait 2 years and upgrade)? Just want to make sure the only thing that I would be charged is the $299 for the phone plus the upgrade fee and nothing more. Thanks for any help or info. Sorry if this was answered already on here, I probably just didn't understand it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Broadster94 For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tkawika View Post
    I pre-ordered an iPhone 6 on Sept 12. It was delivered today and after an hour be turned up, I get a text from ATT that I need to get a new sim from an ATT store. So I go to the local store and asked for a new sim card. The rep gets the new sim and low and behold my phone doesn't work. No Signal, after 45 mins and 1 new iPhone 6 activation later. He calls ATT tech support and they tell him they cant fix it. During this whole deal, I asked him about the Next program. My pre-order phone was purchased with a 2 year contract. After going over all the numbers, I came to the same conclusion as above. I am lucky enough to be a small town and my local store had four iPhone 6's and one 6+ left at 3pm. So, I purchased a iPhone 6 64gb Space Gray using the NEXT program and I am shipping back the pre-ordered phone, thus saving a minimum of $110 over 20 months. On the phone front, the pre-ordered phone never got signal and my new NEXT iPhone was activated 5 mins after the purchase. ATT was really confusing and needed to come out earlier to explain the difference between the 2 yr contract and the NEXT. Anyway, I have one phone and the other is in a box with a return label.
    Looks like they reeled you in with the NEXT plan. In addition if you received an initial text from AT&T regarding needing a "new SIM card", it appears the phone was in working order; however, the AT&T store you went into baited you to switch over to their NEXT plan (by not activating the new SIM CARD"). That said, the said plan may be a good fit for you, but trust there was nothing wrong with your preordered phone but rather, an up sell for your local AT&T store.

Quote Originally Posted by tkawika View Post
    With Next its a difference of $12 per phone with the Mobile Share program. I traded-in two iPhones (Verizon I5 and I4) to get $250, which will be applied to the account. I had the unlimited plan on 3 phones in my family plan, but I abandoned the unlimited plans because they cost too much and AT&T throttled the speed too much. I like how you can upgrade after a year and no $40 upgrade fee.
    On my plan with 10gb, I lose a $25/mo discount. Or $600 over 2 yrs on top of the $400 for the 6+ 64gb phone + $40 activation fee

$1039 for the phone vs $849 w NEXT.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
    This is somewhat misleading. If you are on a contract with a MSV plan, you pay the plan price + $40. If you are on NEXT, you pay: plan price + $40 - discount ($15 or $25) + monthly phone payment (for 12 or 18 months). It's not like AT&T tacked on an extra $40 per month on top of this.

Bottom line: AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are all trying to move customers from contracts to EDGE/NEXT type plans. So I'm pretty sure they make more money with the new plans...

I've heard stories about AT&T going after people with unlimited plans for "tethering", by which they mean "you connected your phone to your car via Bluetooth and operated the phone through the car's controls". Ridiculous, I know, but it's clear they are doing anything they can to eliminate the unlimited plans.
    *scratchhead* please explain a little better

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    You probably have a family plan but not a mobile share family plan.

You most likely pay $30-35 per iphone, a monthly rate for the family plan and then a certain amount for your texts. My old plan was $30/phone, $75 for service & $20 for unlimited texts. Total before taxes = $155/mth
    Huh, did you mean $125 before taxes?
    Last edited by stolenpentium; 2014-09-20 at 01:01 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't have your cake and eat it too... Why AT&T is NOT charging you more this year.
    First of all, any customer that sees an INCREASE in their bill by renewing a 2 year contract has no excuse to be upset. This is because on 2/2/2014 AT&T introduced Mobile Share Value Plans. At that time customers with a prior 2 year contract (still in effect or expired) were given the opportunity to take advantage of lower prices while maintaining their current device and contract. I was one who was eligible and chose to change to the 10 GB share plan that saved me $80 monthly over 4 lines.
    On EVERY bill it states under each line's details:
    Mobile Share Value iPhone on 4G LTE = +$40.00
    Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings = -$25.00
    *The main line shows the data charge: "Mobile Share Value Plan 10GB = $100.00"

The $40.00 has always been there, it didn't just magically appear when I decided to upgrade.
    Prior to that was the old school plans where you paid $25, $30, or $50 for data per line; $10 for each secondary access line, $30 for Texting, and $50-$210 for a bucket of minutes.
    ---notice that the old "data" plan is the new "line access", and the old "Talk+Text" price is the new "Data plan".
    Nothing here is new, the mobile industry just changed what charges go to what service: "how much data do you need; and everything else is just included"

When upgrading to my 128GB iPhone 6, there were 4 options:
    1.) pay full retail price. (Line discounted $25/mo)
    2.) pay $42.50/mo for 20 months (trade-in after 12mo): $510 after 12 months, $850 after 20 months. (Line discounted $25/mo)
    3.) pay $35.42/mo for 24 months (trade-in after 18 mo): $637 after 18 months, $850 after 24 months. (Line discounted $25/mo)
    4.) pay $399+$40 upgrade fee and sign a 2 year contract (I wasn't eligible for this due to still being under contract from iPhone 5s last year) ---If I were eligible and chose this method then the "Mobile value No-contract discount" of $25 would come off my account for this line. You can't have your cake (subsidized phone price) and eat it (discount for not-subsidizing phone) too!

TOTAL PAID FOR iPhone 6 under each of the above senarios:
    1.) $849-$600 (2 yr subsidized discount of $25/mo)= $249
    2.) $510-$300 (12 mo discount) = $210 (trade-in at 12 months) or $849-$500 (20 mo discount) = $349
    3.) $637-$450 (18 mo discount) = $187 (trade-in at 18 months) or $849-$600 (24 mo discount) = $249
    4.) $440 upfront + 2 yr missed discount ($600) = $1,040.

So I will pay $210 for my iPhone 6, and trade it in next year for the iPhone 6s. (Previous years I would have to pay $250 for "early" upgrade fee and pay the $199-$399 for the iPhone, then try to trade-in or sell the device myself each year.

Bottom line is, AT&T is NOT "charging" more, you just want something for free.

Thanks

So after reading all these posts I am still confused. Either way I am going to be charged monthly to pay off the phone. What if I buy an unlocked phone outright. Do I still get charged all these b.s. Monthly fees?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Default AT&T Customers Being Charged More for Not Switching to AT&T Next on Mobile De...
    I have four lines with att on a family share of 10 gb. I did see that if I had bought the iPhone 6 on a two year contract I would lose a 15 dollar discount that they give you, so I canceled it. They did in fact unlocked my 5s and I'm trying T-Mobile now on a prepaid plan, and I think I will switch for a savings of 100 bucks a month.
    Last edited by Parana6; 2014-09-20 at 02:31 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broadster94 View Post
    Ok so I haven't been able to find a completely crystal clear answer on here for my question so I'll just ask it.
    So my current AT&T plan has me and my dad on it. As far as I know, it's never changed ever since I got my iPhone 3G many years ago (2008/2009ish). My dad had a Razr phone before I got an iPhone and added me on his plan. My iPhone plan is unlimited text, call, and a grandfathered unlimited data plan. My dad switched to a Galaxy phone and has unlimited text and call (I think) and a certain amount of data cap (not sure, can't remember). Anyway, I planned on upgrading to the 6, but I saw this thread and now I'm a little cautious to go about upgrading. My upgrade is in October, so I was wondering would there be any extra charges to the bill if I did a regular upgrade (wait 2 years and upgrade)? Just want to make sure the only thing that I would be charged is the $299 for the phone plus the upgrade fee and nothing more. Thanks for any help or info. Sorry if this was answered already on here, I probably just didn't understand it.

You are correct. Since you have an old plan, you can keep your plan and just upgrade your phone for the $299+$40 (one-time upgrade fee).
    HOWEVER, I would look into comparing your plan with the current plans to make sure you have the best option. Since you're dad has capped data, and you have unlimited there area pros and cons to staying or switching plans.

2 lines with Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and 10 GB shared data = $130-155

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast