Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Drop Tests Surface for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

Default First Drop Tests Surface for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

Some lucky folks have gotten their hands on their iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus already, others are waiting for their pre-orders to come in the mail, and others are lining up to try their luck at obtaining one at a local retail store Friday morning.

iFixit has already started tearing down the iPhone 6 Plus, but that's not the only thing of interest going on right now; the first iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus drop test videos are starting to pop up on the Interwebz.

PhoneBuff has a very solid and high-detail drop test video comparison between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which you can watch below:

The results? – they seem like fairly durable devices when dropped on the back face due to the aluminum unibody structure, but if you drop them too much on their side or the front face, forget about it.

A case is probably a good investment for your new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, especially since the low supply of the devices right now probably means that getting a replacement will take a while.

Update: Drop tests performed by Android Authority show quite the opposite results – their iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both didn't break during their test:

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-19 at 04:23 PM.

Wow, just wow..

I'm surprised the screen cracked so easily.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Wow, just wow..

Bigger screen, bigger surface area, more flex in the glass to crack easier. Seem about right?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-09-19), Assassination (2014-09-19), Dphillipds (2014-09-19), hopethemodworx (2014-09-19)

Glass breaks, period. No need for wasteful demonstration.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8lias For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-09-19), Rcworship (2014-09-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Not Good At All
    Wow, just wow..

I'm shocked! I could've sworn they said the display was made out of "Sapphire Glass" which is closest to being as strong as diamonds... So why are they breaking? What's worst is that iPhone 5 and 5s did a lot better at the drop test when they were released. Such a shame...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweetix For This Useful Post:

abbdc1 (2014-09-19)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Crazy!!! I'm waiting almost two months for mine, and he's destroying his. I know it his job, but maaaan!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stolenpentium For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-09-19), Rcworship (2014-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetix View Post
    I'm shocked! I could've sworn they said the display was made out of "Sapphire Glass" which is closest to being as strong as diamonds... So why are they breaking? What's worst is that iPhone 5 and 5s did a lot better at the drop test when they were released. Such a shame...
    No, the Apple Watch has a sapphire display, not the iPhones.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-09-19), ChicagoV (2014-09-19), Rcworship (2014-09-19), Silverado1987 (2014-09-19)

Nope, Apple never said such a thing.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-09-19), buggsy2 (2014-09-19), ChicagoV (2014-09-19), Silverado1987 (2014-09-19)

they missed the inclusion of sapphire glass by weeks. it wasn't available in time for shipments. next iphone will have it, or refresh of 6 later on next year

Quote Originally Posted by ***0rmort View Post
    they missed the inclusion of sapphire glass by weeks. it wasn't available in time for shipments. next iphone will have it, or refresh of 6 later on next year
    There was a report saying using sapphire for a phone screen would make it too expensive

Sorry iFans. 1 drop of that 6 Plus not even flat on the screen and you're likely done for. Sad quality from Apple this go around. Previous generations have fared much better.

Been preaching that this thinner game Apple is playing only brings bad things- less battery life, and now clearly susceptible to breaking screens and separating displays from the body.

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Sorry iFans. 1 drop of that 6 Plus not even flat on the screen and you're likely done for. Sad quality from Apple this go around. Previous generations have fared much better.

Been preaching that this thinner game Apple is playing only brings bad things- less battery life, and now clearly susceptible to breaking screens and separating displays from the body.
    50% heavier than the iPhone 5S. Mass, velocity, momentum, physics, yada yada something.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (2014-09-19), Rcworship (2014-09-19)

Didn't break when the Android Authority tested them.

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Drop Test! - YouTube

21. The Following User Says Thank You to boostin4hp For This Useful Post:

thazsar (2014-09-19)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Think it comes down to the matter of chance! In the end though? Some people have butter fingers and don't care about their phones, others(kids, most females)I have seen keep putting theirs phone in their back pockets and just about sitting on them. Then people like myself that take care of their stuff using a case and screen protectors Especially if your looking to resell the next year.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (2014-09-19), Sage I (2014-09-19), scroogelives (2014-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

+1

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-09-19)

Default First Drop Tests Surface for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
    Remember, even if they had sapphire crystal for the display, sapphire is hard but brittle and can shatter. It all depends on how you drop it and what you drop it on.

Also, sapphire is heavier and thicker than glass and the anti-glare and anti-smudge coatings won't stick to it. Basically, don't hold your breath for a sapphire display - there's a good chance it will never happen.

Getting a replacement will NOT be a problem from day one. The Genius Bar will be stocked with replacement models just like they were for the last launch, and the launch before that, and before that, etc. Just make sure you get AppleCare so your accidental damage is covered for a reasonable fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Remember, even if they had sapphire crystal for the display, sapphire is hard but brittle and can shatter. It all depends on how you drop it and what you drop it on.

Also, sapphire is heavier and thicker than glass and the anti-glare and anti-smudge coatings won't stick to it. Basically, don't hold your breath for a sapphire display - there's a good chance it will never happen.

Lol apple watch???

Wow, just wow..

I compare this to a baby.. no **** if you drop it there will be damage. But sense it's your abby you take extra care of it.. You cant drop a ababy and expect everything to be ok.. come on people..

Thanks

Drop tests are pointless and stupid. Of course it will break!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast