Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: First Drop Tests Surface for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    50% heavier than the iPhone 5S. Mass, velocity, momentum, physics, yada yada something.

Agreed bigger screen and its thinner then the 5/5s em I glad I purchased the otter box defender case for my i6 ahead of the release date other wise they sell out quick and i would've had to wait till stores restocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbaroc View Post
    Lol apple watch???

A watch is functionally very different from a phone. There's far less chance of dropping a watch, but they have a very high chance of collecting scratches so sapphire makes sense for that product. And it's a watch, which is traditionally in the category of jewelry.

Sapphire doesn't make much sense for a smartphone. Because of it's weight, cost, and resistance to coatings, they would need to fuse sapphire with a sheet of glass first, which would would defeat the benefit. Also, sapphire is not as clear as glass, which would diminish the brilliant colors and brightness of the Retina Display.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Think it comes down to the matter of chance! In the end though? Some people have butter fingers and don't care about their phones, others(kids, most females)I have seen keep putting theirs phone in their back pockets and just about sitting on them. Then people like myself that take care of their stuff using a case and screen protectors Especially if your looking to resell the next year.
    Since day one of the first iPhone all my phones have gone in my back pocket and I always sit on it no matter where I go or how I ride i.e car, subway, etc. Never had a problem, never broke one and I take good care of all my electronic devices. Chance? Maybe.. also I only weigh 152lbs so that could be the reason why I'm so lucky.

If all goes well hopefully I'll have my 6 today, but ever since the larger sizes were confirmed I've been real wary about changing my practices and moving the phone to my front pocket. I'm praying I don't have to. Looks like I may have to grab Applecare+ before putting this phone through my usual back pocket routine.

Thanks

Put a case on it.

These so-called “tests” are a complete waste of time. As shown, it can break on the first drop, or, as others have shown, it can survive multiple drops.

They are not controlled in the least and very much up to chance. You would have to do some real scientific work to drop it from every angle to determine how it behaves in a freefall, THEN drop it about a thousand times at each of various angles depending on the results of the first test, THEN do the same thing on multiple types of drop surfaces and heights.

And you know what you would find out in the end? A phone may or may not break depending on how your drop it, from what distance, and onto what surface, and even then the result is not guaranteed.

And for all the FanDroids talking crap about iPhone from this so-called “test” All I can say is I can’t wait to see the drop tests on that new Samsung Edge! Talk about disastrous design flaws win waiting! Only something that significantly bad in design could significantly increase the likelihood of breaking!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-09-19)

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Put a case on it.
    Yeah I usually do. I always use Speck brand cases. I think they provide great protection.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnutz View Post
    Yeah I usually do. I always use Speck brand cases. I think they provide great protection.
    Iiiiif you wanna keep it put a caaaase on it🎶

Watch the video again. At certain parts of the video, you can see that the iPhone has raised glass. This can be seen if you pause at 1:51. There is absolutely nothing absorbing the shock. This is why the screen is cracking and breaking so easily.

It is clear that the iPhone 6/6+ are cheaply made, have terrible design, and are not premium devices. The Software is trash, now your hardware is trash. What EXACTLY do you people buy this garbage for? So much for the "Sekret Sause" called "Sapphire Display". Clearly, that was Apple BS that was crammed down the flock's throats, in order to sell devices...much like Retina, and Retina HD. If they cannot take such a simple fall, then they are cheap, overpriced. garbage. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

the iFail 6/6+ has shown its true colors. I hope the flock is happy with this trash.

Apple should copy Samsung more, and start using Gorilla Glass 2. Perhaps they will hold up better.
    Last edited by nakedcrook; 2014-09-19 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Remember, even if they had sapphire crystal for the display, sapphire is hard but brittle and can shatter. It all depends on how you drop it and what you drop it on.

Also, sapphire is heavier and thicker than glass and the anti-glare and anti-smudge coatings won't stick to it. Basically, don't hold your breath for a sapphire display - there's a good chance it will never happen.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Been preaching that this thinner game Apple is playing only brings bad things- less battery life, and now clearly susceptible to breaking screens and separating displays from the body.
    You been preaching wrong then because they have more battery life than previous models. Sure they're bigger phones but also bigger screens and faster processors.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    Watch the video again. At certain parts of the video, you can see that the iPhone has raised glass. This can be seen if you pause at 1:51. There is absolutely nothing absorbing the shock. This is why the screen is cracking and breaking so easily.

Apple should copy Samsung more.
    This display isn't sapphire, nor did Apple ever claim it was.

Samsung, eh? Can't wait to see the drop tests for the Samsung Edge! Terrible design, awkward to hold, and will be the most fragile phone ever made. That's going to be an epic fail!

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    These so-called “tests” are a complete waste of time.
    I don't think they're a waste of time. I think that they're very entertaining to watch.

The general consensus is, it doesn't matter what operating system you're running, if you have a smartphone made of today's Earthly-materials, you can break it by dropping it. It all comes down to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    This display isn't sapphire, nor did Apple ever claim it was.

Samsung, eh? Can't wait to see the drop tests for the Samsung Edge! Terrible design, awkward to hold, and will be the most fragile phone ever made. That's going to be an epic fail!
    Possibly...very possibly.

However, a niche product (The Edge) is not in the same class as a mainstream device (such as the iPhone 6). I agree that the Note Edge COULD be far more fragile, due to the form factor. Then again, it may far just as well, possibly better. Without a test, it would be impossible to say, without resorting to speculation. Until we have data and tests, any arguments on the Edge are moot. However, I am sure that a phone like the Note 4 will hold up much better than the iPhone. I would be shocked if it did not.

With that said, hands on reviews of the edge have said that it is actually not that awkward to hold. It is not much different than a typical phablet. While I personally would not buy the device (as I prefer traditional form factors), I think someone do like it. But hey, if it is socially acceptable to like Crapple devices...people should be allowed to like the Edge.

Additionally, the fact that you pick on the edge, and not the true flagship (The Note 4) goes to show your desperation.

Additionally, the fact that you pick on the edge, and not the true flagship (The Note 4) goes to show your desperation.
    And you're picking on the iPhone 6, which is not Apple's flagship device; the iPhone 6 Plus is. So you're just as guilty of what you're blaming on that reader.

Thanks

Default First Drop Tests Surface for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
    What EXACTLY do you people buy this garbage for?
    Why do you come here, and what phone do you have that's so glorious all you can do is talk about how bad the iPhone is and not why yours is so great?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-09-19), Carvensno (2014-09-19)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Possibly...very possibly.

However, a niche product (The Edge) is not in the same class as a mainstream device (such as the iPhone 6). I agree that the Note Edge COULD be far more fragile, due to the form factor. Then again, it may far just as well, possibly better. Without a test, it would be impossible to say, without resorting to speculation. Until we have data and tests, any arguments on the Edge are moot. However, I am sure that a phone like the Note 4 will hold up much better than the iPhone. I would be shocked if it did not.

With that said, hands on reviews of the edge have said that it is actually not that awkward to hold. It is not much different than a typical phablet. While I personally would not buy the device (as I prefer traditional form factors), I think someone do like it. But hey, if it is socially acceptable to like Crapple devices...people should be allowed to like the Edge.

Damn!!! It was so quiet for more than 24hrs without you posting fandroid misbeliefs Twittle Dumb! Lmao

I see you still have no life as your wasting your breath trying to spread your fandroid propaganda. That no one really gives $h1t about! Smh LOL
    Last edited by Carvensno; 2014-09-19 at 06:26 PM.

I wanted to compare the iPhone 6 to the Samsung Galaxy S5 in drop tests. Go check them out.
    Watch this one and see how damaged the iPhone 6 gets. Then go find a Galaxy S5 drop test and see how good that goes. Even after getting driven over and being dropped 4 times the S5 still doesn't have any cracks on its screen.

So Apple, was it a smart move to drop Samsung as your supplier of screens? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ***0rmort View Post
    they missed the inclusion of sapphire glass by weeks. it wasn't available in time for shipments. next iphone will have it, or refresh of 6 later on next year
    Just wait 2 years then the iPhones will have a screen as good as a Galaxy S5. HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetix View Post
    I'm shocked! I could've sworn they said the display was made out of "Sapphire Glass" which is closest to being as strong as diamonds... So why are they breaking? What's worst is that iPhone 5 and 5s did a lot better at the drop test when they were released. Such a shame...
    Correct about the hardness, incorrect about whether it will crack when dropped. Sapphire crystal can and will break about as easily as the current glass used on the phones. Sapphire crystal is just about scratch proof, but shattering/cracking can still happen. Most Swiss watchmakers use Sapphire crystal on their watches. Do a quick google search for "Rolex cracked crystal" and you will see that it can and will break when dropped.

i've never dropped any of my iPhones in the last 5 years of owning them

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_X View Post
    i've never dropped any of my iPhones in the last 5 years of owning them
    I hate the large bulky cases and have moved to the Apple leather cases for my devices. I have dropped my devices on occasion and have been very lucky to have never cracked a screen. On the other hand I know people who seem to break phone screens just about weekly. A little bit of proper care goes quite a long way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast