Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adoption of Apple's New iOS 8 Reportedly Not As Impressive As Previous iOS Updates

Default Adoption of Apple's New iOS 8 Reportedly Not As Impressive As Previous iOS Updates

iOS 8 was just released to the public yesterday afternoon, and a good number of you guys even updated as soon when you had the chance while others stayed with iOS 7 and their jailbreak.

While Apple touts iOS 8 to be the "Biggest iOS Release Ever," it does appear to have a slower adoption rate than both iOS 6 and iOS 7. Fiksu has an interactive graph on their iOS 8 tracker Web page that shows the adoption rate in percent (%) for the first few hours of the new mobile operating system's release, shown above.

In the first 20 hours, iOS 8 has been installed on only 8.73% of recorded devices, which compares to iOS 7 being installed on 18.49% of recorded devices in the first 20 hours, and iOS 6 being installed on 11.26% of recorded devices in the first 20 hours. iOS 5 was only installed on 7.43% of recorded devices in the first 20 hours, illustrating that iOS 8 is scaling in between the adoption rates of iOS 5 and iOS 6.

Fiksu gets its information from applications that use the available Fiksu SDK, which reports in-app events including app launches, in-app purchases, and registrations. Information is sampled hourly and Fisku then filters the samples based on device type to get their numbers.

Sources: Fiksu

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I say it's because iOS 7 was a whole rewrite/redesign and this wasn't. Jmo

I think it has something to do with the abnormally long download times yesterday. A lot of people likely just decided, "you know what... I'll wait."

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I think it has something to do with the abnormally long download times yesterday. A lot of people likely just decided, "you know what... I'll wait."
    Very true! Forgot about the downloading issues. Oyyy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I say it's because iOS 7 was a whole rewrite/redesign and this wasn't. Jmo
    My thoughts exactly.

it took me less than a hour to find 3 bugs
    2 are from the apple app store
    also in my basket i had 2 orders i had not even made
    luckily i stopped these order's just in time
    this was only on the IOs 8 one device that i have it installed on not showing the same problems on mavericks Yosemite Mac
    that's a strange one that is

Many of the useful features aren't available until Yosemite is released.

Plenty of people are getting the new iPhones so there's no reason to update the current phone if they are going to trade them in anyway.

While I updated our family's six devices yesterday, I think the uptake is influenced by:

1. A lot of people planning on trading in their phones for the iPhone 6. Why go through the hassle of updating for only a few days of use?

2. Download times, and iCloud login issues made things tough yesterday.

3. These updates require 4 to 7 GB of free space to install OTA. Our 16GB iPhones 5S models needed 5.8GB free and I couldn't delete enough stuff to get that much free space. I had to get to a computer and update through iTunes.

4. Many more people were running the 8 beta which may change how rapidly they install the final release. Maybe?

5. Our company sent out a big notice this week telling users not to install until we get our apps done with their iOS 8 compability work. There are more and more corporate users of iOS every year and corporations usually frown on updating on Day 1.

Probably because it requires 5.8Gb's to update OTA, bet that's why - ton of people unable to update because they don't have enough space.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It's because most people bought the new phones. Once those come in that will shoot up

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    I think so too. While iOS 8 adds some cool new features, the look is the same as 7.

Looking forward to checking it out myself tomorrow when my iP6 arrives!

Like all other versions, its useless until Jailbroken.

Wait, most people are on iphone 4 and cant upgrade. Is this taken into consideration in this graph ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Silvio6 For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (2014-09-18)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
    Wait, most people are on iphone 4 and cant upgrade. Is this taken into consideration in this graph ?
    Most iPhone users have the 4?

A very small percentage of people are on the iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    A very small percentage of people are on the iPhone 4.
    Does anyone have numbers/source ?

Does anyone have numbers/source ?
    It's 4 years old, and Apple has broken the sales record of the iPhone 4 for the last four years of iPhone sales. How many more numbers do you need?

I also think there were a lot of average non-power users that felt burned by the massive appearance changes in iOS 7. Wouldn't shock me if there is a decent contingent of folks who don't really know much about the details of iOS 8 (unlike the folks on this site) who don't want to go through a big change again in their device appearance and function and just said no to the update. Once bitten, twice shy.

We know that it will look and work similar, just with many new features under the hood. I'd venture most iPhone users don't really have that level of understanding.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    I also think there were a lot of average non-power users that felt burned by the massive appearance changes in iOS 7. Wouldn't shock me if there is a decent contingent of folks who don't really know much about the details of iOS 8 (unlike the folks on this site) who don't want to go through a big change again in their device appearance and function and just said no to the update. Once bitten, twice shy.

We know that it will look and work similar, just with many new features under the hood. I'd venture most iPhone users don't really have that level of understanding.
    I think that would actually be an extremely small number. It doesn't take much work to go to Apple and see what it says the difference is.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast