Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Install a Third-party Keyboard on Your iOS 8 Device

Default How to Install a Third-party Keyboard on Your iOS 8 Device

iOS 8 was just released to the public Wednesday afternoon, and if you're just now downloading it and you're curious how to start installing third-party keyboards on your device, then this guide is definitely one that you won't want to miss.

The first thing you need is a device that has been updated to iOS 8. Any iOS 8 iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad will do. Then, you need to find a third-party keyboard that you want to install. Int his guide, we will be installing the popular Swype keyboard on our iPad Mini with retina display, but you can use any of the following popular third-party keyboards that are available right now:

There are others available too, but these are some of our favorites. You can search through the keyboards yourself to see what's available if these don't fit your needs.

Once you have picked a keyboard that you like, go ahead and follow the iTunes link. You will be brought to the App Store where you can purchase the application and download it on your device. Most of these keyboards do cost money, so keep that in mind.

After installing the keyboard application, you will find a new application icon on your Home Screen pertaining to the third-party keyboard. In our case, because we downloaded Swype, we are going to open our Swype application icon:

Now that we can open the application, we will. It will take us through the steps to enable the keyboard. Please note that while each keyboard's application may be different, the process to enable the third-party keyboard is the same for all third-party keyboards in iOS 8.

Without further procrastination, let's enable Swype on our iOS 8 device, shall we?

Head over to your Settings application, and go to General > Keyboard:

From this interface, you can tap on the "Add New Keyboard..." button:

Since you have installed a third party keyboard already (in our case, we installed Swype), you should see the keyboard that you just installed under this list. Go ahead and tap on it to enable it:

Once you enable it, it should now appear in your list of keyboards:

Now head over to an application where you will use your keyboard, such as the Messages application, and tap on the globe key on your keyboard and switch over to the third-party keyboard of your choice (we will pick Swype, since we installed Swype):

And that's all there is to it:

Now, whenever we use our keyboard, we can opt to use the Swype keyboard instead of Apple's. If you chose to go with the Flesky keyboard, then you can use Flesky instead of Apple's. You won't have to constantly change to it, as the keyboard that you choose to use will be remembered every time you open your keyboard up.

Happy typing!

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

So then once you install the keyboard, you can delete that app?

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    So then once you install the keyboard, you can delete that app?
    No, if you delete the application, you delete the entire keyboard.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    No, if you delete the application, you delete the entire keyboard.
    Wow, that's ridiculous... What the hell is the point of the app? Couldn't they just have a preferences pane in the Settings app?

It's ok I guess, once the jailbreak comes out, we'll be able to hide the icons. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Wow, that's ridiculous... What the hell is the point of the app? Couldn't they just have a preferences pane in the Settings app?

It's ok I guess, once the jailbreak comes out, we'll be able to hide the icons. Can't wait!
    Apple forces this stuff to be released as "applications" in the App Store. The app is totally useless, as all it does is walk the user through how to enable the keyboard, which is done in Settings. I wish the application icon wasn't necessary.

won't third party app keyboard access facilitate a jailbreak?
    Last edited by swifty7; 2014-09-18 at 09:59 AM.

I can't get the Swype keyboard to work on my phone. I select Swype and then the keyboard goes blank and nothing happens. It works on my wife 5 but not on my 5s. Does it not support the 5S?

Quote Originally Posted by cavman2004 View Post
    I can't get the Swype keyboard to work on my phone. I select Swype and then the keyboard goes blank and nothing happens. It works on my wife 5 but not on my 5s. Does it not support the 5S?
    Weird!

What happens when you remove it and try re-installing it?

Step 1 - Throw out iOS device.
    Step 2 - Buy an Android device that actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Weird!

What happens when you remove it and try re-installing it?
    Still nothing when I deleted and reinstalled the app but I was able to get the SwiftKey to work.

Badly need "Swipeselection" keyboard for iOS 8 please...

Thank you.

It looks like Swiftkey has a swipe feature like Swype except its free. Has anyone compared the two?

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    It looks like Swiftkey has a swipe feature like Swype except its free. Has anyone compared the two?
    I just tried it and it doesn't appear to work like Swype?

I don't have iOS 8 yet so I can't try it but the screenshot shows what looks like Swype. They call it "SwiftKey Flow" and it may need to be enabled in settings..?

I'm using the swift key and it seems to work pretty good like swype but I can't get Swype to work on my phone so I'm stuck with swift key for now