Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MuscleNerd Warns Those Updating to iOS 8 Can't go Back to iOS 7 and Will Lose Jailbreak

Default MuscleNerd Warns Those Updating to iOS 8 Can't go Back to iOS 7 and Will Lose Jailbreak

iOS 8 was just released Wednesday afternoon, but just because the "latest and greatest" of Apple's software engineering skills is now out doesn't necessarily mean you should jump over to it just yet.

MuscleNerd has sent out a bold reminder to jailbreakers everywhere via Twitter that those jailbroken on iOS 7 should avoid updating to iOS 8. Once you update to iOS 8, you won't be able to downgrade back to iOS 7 to re-jailbreak your device, and you will have to wait until a jailbreak is (if it is) released for iOS 8.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    To 2014’s new jailbreakers: if you update to today’s iOS 8.0, you’ll lose your JB and won’t be able to go back to 7.x. Beware!
    MuscleNerd also notes that there are a small number of users that will still be able to upgrade, but with very specific requirements:

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    (For completeness: The only group of users able to downgrade from 8.0 will be old-school iPad2 users with 4.x or 5.x blobs, using redsn0w)
    Those with iPad 2 devices and SHSH blobs saved for iOS 4 or iOS 5 will still be able to downgrade using redsn0w, but other device users are out of luck.

The message is more aimed toward the newer jailbreakers that may not know as much as the more experienced that understand the technicalities of the signing window. Shortly, Apple will stop allowing users to downgrade to iOS 7 after upgrading to iOS 8 in an attempt to thwart jailbreaking and to help keep all users on the latest firmware.

We also recommend that those jailbroken on iOS 7 stick with their jailbreak if they want to keep it. There's no telling if and when an iOS 8 jailbreak will be released.

Sources: MuscleNerd
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-17 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

FYI, Apple is still signing 7.1.2 if you may need to restore and re-jailbreak before it's too late.

I think a jailbreak will come sooner this time as we have seen recently there are new teams looking at the jailbreaks! Just a thought but I'm also resigned to the fact my iPhone 6 will most likely arrive with ios8 on it!

Thanks

I don't think there is any doubt that the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will have iOS 8 on it already.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    I don't think there is any doubt that the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will have iOS 8 on it already.
    Oh they absolutely will.

Apple even demonstrated it at the keynote.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    I think a jailbreak will come sooner this time as we have seen recently there are new teams looking at the jailbreaks! Just a thought but I'm also resigned to the fact my iPhone 6 will most likely arrive with ios8 on it!
    Not most likely, defnitley.

Thanks

I'll wait for my iPhone 6. Seems the new iOS releases always run best on the newest devices offered..go figure :]

I will too; hoping to get more on secondary market for my i5 if its JB. Two questions though:

1. Since I obviously can't restore and start fresh without losing my JB, will it be alrright to just "Erase all Data and Settings" when I sell the phone?
    2. I am getting the i5 unlocked through ATT - do I have to restore for the lock to go through? If so, I'm screwed...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to anmiller07 For This Useful Post:

scroogelives (2014-09-17)

Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
    I will too; hoping to get more on secondary market for my i5 if its JB. Two questions though:

1. Since I obviously can't restore and start fresh without losing my JB, will it be alrright to just "Erase all Data and Settings" when I sell the phone?
    2. I am getting the i5 unlocked through ATT - do I have to restore for the lock to go through? If so, I'm screwed...
    Cause your jailbroken I don't think that would work! I could be wrong but I've always had to restore

iPhone? More like MyPhone rukavuda's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Most likely lol
    I'm 1000% sure it will
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9020/gagaxq.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    FYI, Apple is still signing 7.1.2 if you may need to restore and re-jailbreak before it's too late.
    How can i check this? Would like to do a reinstall of 7.1.2 since it is acting a little funny on my 4s, but don't want to do anything stupid and be stuck with iOS8.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

1. That won't work, but not all hope is lost. There are packages on cydia that can wipe pretty much everything but leave your jailbreak in tact. Use cautiously though, because I almost bricked my phone doing that once.

2. No, it should just unlock automatically. It's the older devices that required a restore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    How can i check this? Would like to do a reinstall of 7.1.2 since it is acting a little funny on my 4s, but don't want to do anything stupid and be stuck with iOS8.
    Here is a site I use to find out what Apple is signing.
    Firmware Links - Download iOS Firmware for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Apple TV / Just a Penguin

Hi musclemen please this time get full themes of jailbreak on ios8 please please

Thanks

Do not use the "erase all data and settings" on a jailbroken device, boot loop city.
    You can use Semirestore or iLex R.A.T to get back to a fresh jailbroken state.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2014-09-18 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aftab1981 View Post
    Hi musclemen please this time get full themes of jailbreak on ios8 please please
    WTF?? There are amazing themes out there right now. About as complete as ever!

People who rush to update don't bother to read anything. The crying will start on page 2 I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    People who rush to update don't bother to read anything. The crying will start on page 2 I'm sure.
    The fun part is when I write a review and explain at the end where to get the tweak and then someone asks where to get the tweak .

But yeah, reading is certainly a great way to improve knowledge!

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I honestly didn't even know MuscleNerd was still actively involved in the JB community. I mean, his website hasn't been updated, since, like, 2012.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast