Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4s Users May Want to Avoid the iOS 8 Update, Reportedly Very Glitchy

Default iPhone 4s Users May Want to Avoid the iOS 8 Update, Reportedly Very Glitchy

iOS 8 was just rolled out to the public Wednesday afternoon by way of OTA (over the air) and iTunes updating for iOS device users. Apple is also in the midst of updating its own iOS applications to support the new operating system.

Those of you with an iPhone 4s may want to avoid installing today's iOS 8 firmware upgrade on your device. A report from Ars Technica warns that the iPhone 4s is having a lot of problems running the new iOS 8 firmware in a user-friendly way, and instead, it's quite the buggy experience.

It's worth noting that on the iPhone 5 and later, users don't appear to be having many issues at all. iOS 8 was created with the 4-inch display and larger in mind, so it isn't surprising that the iPhone 4s wouldn't run the new firmware as well as newer devices do it's the oldest device that still supports iOS 8, and the legacy hardware inside of it is causing iOS 8 to drag its feet while trying to run on it. The similar-sized iPhone 4 was phased out and does not run iOS 8 at all.

In addition to screen issues, iOS 8 suffers speed issues and missing features on the iPhone 4s.

While the iPod touch 5g has the same dual-core A5 chip hardware inside of it, it's worth noting that because the iPod touch 5g has a 4-inch display and the iPhone 4s does not, the iPod touch 5g, even, will run iOS 8 better than the iPhone 4s can.

Hopefully in a future update to iOS 8, Apple will smooth out the burred sides of iOS 8 on older devices like the iPhone 4s.

Sources: Ars Technica

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's insane. Apple should have honestly phased out the 4s as well because of these issues.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDH Advocate For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (2014-09-17), SpiderManAPV (2014-09-17)

For how long will it be possible to go back to 7.1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    For how long will it be possible to go back to 7.1.2?
    No one knows... sorry :/

Apple can close their window whenever they want to.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
    That's insane. Apple should have honestly phased out the 4s as well because of these issues.
    Agreed! But I'd like to see a 3 year old Android phone running their latest software...oh wait, it can't!!!

Thanks

No need to phase it out till next year. The 4S is used as an introductory model for foreign countries. I believe China got this one before they were able to get the 5C and 5S. Its not broke...just old :]

LMAO...

I dare someone to claim that iOS is "stable, smooth, and polished" now.

I recently updated one of my friend's S2 to a custom rom of KitKat...and there were no problems at all. Why is it that Android roms run better on older devices than iOS? How does the "glitchy Android" work better than the polished and bug-free iOS? HOw, how, how?

In addition to screen issues, iOS 8 suffers speed issues and missing features on the iPhone 4s
    Speed issues on iOS? My friend's KitKat rom on his S2 is smooth as butter, and a pleasure to use. Excellent user experience and no screen issues.

The logic is just not adding up.

Can you feel the salt in the wounds? I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Agreed! But I'd like to see a 3 year old Android phone running their latest software...oh wait, it can't!!!
    Maybe this is the exact reason why they dont let old phones run new OS. Simply to avoid issues like the 4S seems to be having !

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    Maybe this is the exact reason why they dont let old phones run new OS. Simply to avoid issues like the 4S seems to be having !
    The Galaxy S2 can run newer versions of Android via custom roms...and they run VERY well.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    LMAO...

I recently updated one of my friend's S2 to a custom rom of KitKat...and there were no problems at all. Why is it that Android roms run better on older devices than iOS? How does the "glitchy Android" work better than the polished and bug-free iOS? HOw, how, how?

Speed issues on iOS? My friend's KitKat rom on his S2 is smooth as butter, and a pleasure to use. Excellent user experience and no screen issues.

Custom ROM... go load the stock factory Kit Kat on there and get back to us...

I really can't imagine my life being so pathetic that I get off trolling other forums over a phone. I have never once been on an android forum, let alone trolled it. I use the device I like and does what I want it too, and if someone wants to use something else, then good for them. Not my concern. Curious though, do you also troll car forums to talk about how great your car is? Or perhaps fashion sites to tell them how great your clothes are? I'm going to guess no. I don't get this obsession with trashing a device you don't like. Life is far too short.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shady6 For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (2014-09-18), synastone (2014-09-20)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

LMAO...

If you're trying to convince people to go to Android it really isn't working. If I hadn't had my own positive experiences with Android forums, people like you would make me never want to even hold an android device.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Shady6 View Post
    Custom ROM... go load the stock factory Kit Kat on there and get back to us...

I really can't imagine my life being so pathetic that I get off trolling other forums over a phone. I have never once been on an android forum, let alone trolled it. I use the device I like and does what I want it too, and if someone wants to use something else, then good for them. Not my concern. Curious though, do you also troll car forums to talk about how great your car is? Or perhaps fashion sites to tell them how great your clothes are? I'm going to guess no. I don't get this obsession with trashing a device you don't like. Life is far too short.
    Agreed. Try loading the bloatware version of Kit Kat and run it...I love how he thinks he "got" us iPhone users on the subject, when in reality he just made himself look really dumb...Stock and Custom ROM is not the same thing!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

The Galaxy S2 can run newer versions of Android via custom roms...and they run VERY well.
    So you're telling us that the S2, which ALREADY had tons of lag since inception, all of a sudden worx perfect using KitKat which isn't even made for that device???

Yeah right...! I've decided to look up forums for your beloved S2 w/ KitKat and it had a slew of issues! Thanx for spreading more lies; keep up the good work!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-09-18)

My 4S suddenly got faster after updating to 7.1.2, even with all the jailbreak packages I added it
    Last edited by cbrm; 2014-09-18 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrm View Post
    My 4S suddenly got faster after updating to 7.1.2, even with all the jailbreak packages I added it
    That'll all change if you go to iOS 8.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    My S3 runs KitKat and will probably get Android L via CM12. While the stock KitKat on the S3 was really rough and slow (mostly because of Samsung doing what Samsung does best by bogging down the device with bloatware and its heavy Touchwiz interface), CM11 has been an extremely smooth experience on it and it ran better that Touchwiz ever has or will.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    My S3 runs KitKat and will probably get Android L via CM12. While the stock KitKat on the S3 was really rough and slow (mostly because of Samsung doing what Samsung does best by bogging down the device with bloatware and its heavy Touchwiz interface), CM11 has been an extremely smooth experience on it and it ran better that Touchwiz ever has or will.
    My personal experience with Androids and ROMs (which admittedly hasn't been a lot) was that CyanogenMod made Android useable and actually almost pretty nice. That being said the latest CM I used was 8.1, so :P

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
    Trying to milk consumers with the oldest devices to upgrade to newer ones... that has Apple written all over it... AGAIN!

They just have to screw over even the smallest number of consumers who are still on the 4S for whatever reason... the same way they screwed over iPhone 4 owners last year with the iOS 7 release... and 7.1.2 still isn't really called an "upgrade" for iPhone 4 from iOS 6.

I just wish someone would come up with a class action lawsuit against Apple!
    Don't get me wrong, I love the devices they make, have been owning an iPhone ever since the 2nd generation, but I hate the fact that their control-freak nature is just getting worse every year. It was acceptable to an extent, but now they're just crossing the line!

A newer iOS may have some bugs, it's normal, but it shouldn't drastically destroy your iPhone... like iOS 8 on the 4S and iOS 7.1.2 on the iPhone 4 with no f****** option to downgrade.

All Apple had to do was........... Nothing! No update for the iOS 4/4S.. as simple as that!

A considerable amount of consumers had also complained about the frying wifi chip with the iOS 7 update especially on 4S devices and Apple never addressed the issue... just one suggestion... 'You took the bait... now give me your money and upgrade to a newer device'

I started the update on my 4s before seeing this warning now I'm worried about what I'll get when it's finished

Quote Originally Posted by Scott14 View Post
    I started the update on my 4s before seeing this warning now I'm worried about what I'll get when it's finished
    How is your 4s after ios8 update? Curious to see how it goes for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast