Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Restrict Developer Access to the NFC Module in the iPhone 6 Lineup

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple to Restrict Developer Access to the NFC Module in the iPhone 6 Lineup

Based on information from a recent report, Apple appears to be restricting developer access to the NFC module in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The restricted access limits the component to first-part Apple Pay services only. This isn’t too surprising to discover considering that the new iPhone 6 lineup is the first to utilize near-field communications technology. Apple seems to be putting the component on lockdown as it enters the digital payment industry with Apple Pay.

The NFC chip API won’t be accessible to developers this year according to an Apple spokesperson who shared the information with the Apple publication, Cult of Mac. The Cupertino California company will instead be employing a “go slow” approach to NFC as the technology and its security are both important factors for its Apple Pay initiative.

On the other hand, competing smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung utilize NFC for various factors including device pairing, data transport and other functions. Apple instead uses the iBeacon protocol, which utilizes both Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi for similar recognition and data throughput functionality.

Although Apple won’t opening the appropriate NFC module APIs to developers right now, that doesn’t mean it may not open up access to the technology in the future. Perhaps as the technology matures within the iOS platform and Apple adds additional layers of security coupled with updating developer rules and regulations, the restricted access to the NFC module API may be lifted. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Source: AppleInsider, Cult of Mac, PC Advisor

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Cautiously moving forward. Smart.
    Let the bashing begin! Lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-09-17)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

So I won't be able to use NFC to, for example, pair with a speaker?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

This is just like the finger print scanner! Now Apple is happy with it it's being opened up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scroogelives For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    binbash.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Agreed. With something being the channel to such critical information, you don't want to grant access lightly. Apple has always maintained a cautious attitude in granting access to their software/hardware, which I see as a good thing.

Of course, many will claim it is being protectionist. That may be a part of it, but I want my personal financial data as controlled as possible, so I'm fine with it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    So I won't be able to use NFC to, for example, pair with a speaker?
    yup you can't do it until its jailbroken than everyone can use it

Jailbreak can't come soon enough!!

I agree with Apple, you never low about a malicious programmers intent. I for one would prefer safeguards in place to keep programmers from Sniffen in personal and private information