View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to iOS 8, or sticking with jailbroken iOS 7?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want Apple's new iOS 8 as soon as it comes out!

11 29.73%
  • I'm going to stay with jailbroken iOS 7.

26 70.27%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to iOS 8, or Stay Jailbroken on iOS 7 - What to do? [POLL]

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
    That is correct. At least I know with 100% the iPhones are. I got my iPhone 5 unlocked by default. As I mentioned in my earlier comment I stuck a tmobile sim (GSM) in it and it worked but I also failed to mention that I've inserted a different verizon sim in this phone and it worked seemlessly. On top of that, I had to do a handset replacement via apple care due to my iPhone 5 having that battery issue and all it took was swapping the verizon SIM. No phone calls to make, no activation process other than sticking the SIM in. It just worked.

I Have also tried sticking my verizon sim in a sprint iPhone 5S and I got an error message denying the sim. So that leads me to believe Sprint still locks their phones. @ssholes.
    Yes Sprint and AT&T still lock their phones. I don't even know if Sprint unlocks phones after contract is up.

Verizon and Sprint are slowly moving to LTE only, but they still use their CDMA network for calls. I saw this coming a few years back when they were trying to push for their system. The rest of the world is majority GSM/LTE, but they just wanted to be different. Sprint's WiMax is/was even lamer.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

So no one ever pays full retail price at Verizon to get a factory unlocked phone? Verizon does subsidized pricing? 199/299/399? I wonder how they make their $ on the phones..

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So no one ever pays full retail price at Verizon to get a factory unlocked phone? Verizon does subsidized pricing? 199/299/399? I wonder how they make their $ on the phones..
    They sign a 2 year contract just like everyone else to get the subsidized pricing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xfsasx's Avatar
    Thanks

What I do in the interim period between 'new phone release' to 'jb for new iOS', and of course this only works if you KEEP your last phone and sell it later, is I keep my 'last' phone jailbroken and of course my new phone is on the new iOS.. And then I just swap my SIM card between the two phones every couple of days for a 'change of pace'.. much like 'changing a theme'.

You can also tether your new phone to your other on WIFI and carry both. Only TMobile and AT&T folks along with unlocked World phones (GSM) have a SIM slot. So Verizon and Sprint people with CDMA antennas have less options to go between two phones for a period before the new jailbreak is out.
    Actually Verizon iPhones come factory unlocked

I'm keeping my jailbreak

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been on the fence about this also. I love trying new software out and messing around with it. However many things that exist on iOS 8 are 'almost' achievable on iOS 7 with the Jailbreak. I know I have many of those tweaks already. (Predictive Keyboard, biteSMS) Still apart of me wants to experience a clean slate and enjoy Apple's software the way that it was intended on my 5s. Exploring the new health app, experiencing new keyboards, and experiencing the new messaging app with it's new functionality. That's what I may do and I'm sure others will as well.

In the meantime I will hold off on my jailbreak. Yes, i will be missing a few tweaks like F.lux, Aria, and iFile, but i leave my faith with the jailbreaking community, that they will figure out a way to once again open up the software. They haven't failed us yet because even they know there will always be a need for it. With so much that Apple has provided (or stole depending on your perspective) in the new OS, it opens the doors for new tweaks.

So with that I will give iOS 8 a shot. This should be fun!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iFrosty For This Useful Post:

Durb1n (2014-09-16)

What I do in the interim period between 'new phone release' to 'jb for new iOS', and of course this only works if you KEEP your last phone and sell it later, is I keep my 'last' phone jailbroken and of course my new phone is on the new iOS.. And then I just swap my SIM card between the two phones every couple of days for a 'change of pace'.. much like 'changing a theme'.

You can also tether your new phone to your other on WIFI and carry both. Only TMobile and AT&T folks along with unlocked World phones (GSM) have a SIM slot. So Verizon and Sprint people with CDMA antennas have less options to go between two phones for a period before the new jailbreak is out.
    That's cool but not everyone can afford to do that option

Love threads like these really opens up people's opinions
    Last edited by Durb1n; 2014-09-16 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks

keep jailbreak ofcourse... i doibt anybody on this site would be updating seen as its for modding iphones mainly

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Yes Sprint and AT&T still lock their phones. I don't even know if Sprint unlocks phones after contract is up.
    As of the 4s they didn't. I brought a Sprint iPhone 4s to the store after the contract was up and they wouldn't unlock it for me. I asked if there was any way to get it unlocked and they said that Sprint policy wouldn't allow them to unlock the phone.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Keeping my jailbreak!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Durb1n View Post
    That's cool but not everyone can afford to do that option
    Yeah. If you need to trade in your phone immediately to get a lower price when you guy... I would understand. But it's sad - because the stores only give you a 'teeny bit' for your trade in - when you can get SOO much more selling it on eBay.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

If I'm on iOS 8 beta(not the GM) will I get an OTA update for the official release? My problem is my laptop that I have everything backed up to no longer works at all. So I can't really update without losing everything. Anyone know the answer for the update or have a suggestion for my back ups?(I have music and ringtones on there not purchased from iTunes, so none of that will be saved to the cloud and I can't manually back up to the cloud in the iOS 8 beta soooooo??? Lol)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    They sign a 2 year contract just like everyone else to get the subsidized pricing.
    So wonder why Verizon 'gives away their right to charge you for overseas' and ATT still locks until end of contract.. Weird difference. Usually all the major companies like to stay 'lock-step' competitive..

Jailbroken 7. It isn't even a hard decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

So wonder why Verizon 'gives away their right to charge you for overseas' and ATT still locks until end of contract.. Weird difference. Usually all the major companies like to stay 'lock-step' competitive..
    Never agreed with your belief that the carrier has a right to charge for overseas roaming. Don't think that should be the case at all. The two year contract more than makes up the difference in the subsidized price. A person should be able when traveling to use a sim from the country they are in.
    Regardless, to the topic at hand I believe Verizon made some sort of deal with government after the 4S where they had to provide unlocked phones in exchange for rights to a LTE band. Don't quite know the specifics of it but it was something like that.

Here we go: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/34...pen-access-fcc

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

dsg (2014-09-17)

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Keep 7.1.2 to sell it on eBay for a better price with a jailbreakable version and factory unlocked.

Keeping iOS 7 Jailbreak. Tether is nice. Customization of Control Center is awesome. Disabling powering off by the power button is excellent to deter thieves.

Default Upgrade to iOS 8, or Stay Jailbroken on iOS 7 - What to do? [POLL]
    Are you kidding me? You'd have to kill me to make me forfeit my jailbreak, no version of iOS will be worth losing a jailbreak over, EVER!!!

Just got rid of the Jailbreak, feeling a little anxiety, ready 4 the IOS 8 and the iPhone 6 Plus on Friday...

I am keeping my JB- but I would think about upgrading seriously if and when At&t adds wifi calling to their line-up. Supposedly coming in 2015. No quarter has been announced yet. At least I haven't been able to find a date, month, or quarter.
    It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank you
    iPhone 5s (after a long time with android devices so I am very rusty! )
    iOS 8.4, Jailbroken with TaiG Ipad air 2- 8.1.2, JB with pangu
    Jersey Girl here! I love that dancing Penguin!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast