Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Connecticut Attorney General Sends Letter to Tim Cook with Apple Watch Privacy Concerns

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Connecticut Attorney General Sends Letter to Tim Cook with Apple Watch Privacy Concerns

Although the Apple Watch isnít going to be released until sometime early next year, the device appears to be facing public scrutiny over privacy issues already. Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen recently sent a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook asking questions about how the Apple Watch will operate. In his letter, he even went as far as requesting a meeting with Apple representatives. It may seem pretty farfetched but all of it is true.

In the letter, the Attorney General expresses concern and questions several areas including the following:

• Whether Apple will allow consumers to store personal and health information on Apple Watch itself and/or on its servers, and if so, how information will be safeguarded;
    • If and how Apple will review application privacy policies to ensure that users' health information is safeguarded;
    • If and how Apple intends to enforce policies that require the rejection of applications that provide diagnoses, treatment advice, or control hardware designed to diagnose or treat medical conditions that do not provide written regulatory approval;
    • What information Apple Watch and its applications will collect from users, and how Apple and application developers will obtain consent to collect and share such information from these individuals; and
    • How Apple intends to monitor and enforce applications' compliance with its guidelines concerning users' health information.
    Several of the questions seem to be aimed more at Appleís HealthKit APIs than anything else. Apple fortunately has already answered several of the questions and even detailed them in their Review Guidelines for developers, which was previously updated in June. The document states that HealthKit information wonít be stored in iCloud and that apps that are attempting to store health data in iCloud will be rejected. It even states that apps that offer treatment advice and provide a diagnosis will be rejected from the app store.

The Apple Watch, which was unveiled last week, has been generating big buzz in both the fashion and the tech industry. It aims to provide a fashionable and more technologically advanced revision to a classic accessory for both men and women. The smartwatch will be offered in various customizable options and has many fashion and tech competitorís shaken. Weíll have to wait and see if the device lives up to consumer expectation upon its release.

Source: State of Connecticut via MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Here we go??? Politics trying to intervene with a new device and features coming out. Why can't it just be like old times, that if you bought something? You knew the responsibilities that come with that device and features. I'm getting really tired of politics getting in the way and keep blaming the manufacturers for stuff.

Like blaming McDonald's for making people fat? Excuse me? Who held a gun or knife to their head and made them eat there? No one! That's their choice to eat there, not McDonald's!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

2fast (2014-09-16)

Thanks

^^ I do agree with you to a point. I feel the consumer needs to be more responsible with his/her purchases and know what they are buying. With that being said, privacy is a big deal no matter what year you live/lived in. With what seems to be constant threats on our privacy coming to light by the day (NSA, hackers, enemies of your country etc) we really need to KNOW what we are getting and how it works. I don't see anything wrong with wanting facts about a purchase. We did just see Apples iCloud get compromised not to long ago..the questions are viable and should be asked buy all who purchase a device that can relay such info.

I think it is clear what is going on here: Chairman Obama and his Gestapo are looking for ways to use new technology to monitor people and invade their privacy. The Chaimen has asked his Attorny General to investigate, and report on EXACTLY what information is stored on the watch; with the sole purpose of data mining it for your security.

Hey buddy, where was your open letter filled with questions and concerns when all the other fitness wearable and devices were released in the last 10 years???

Also, why are you asking a bunch of questions Apple has already answered, but nobody else has?? Are you that incompetent, just trying to grab some headlines like a typical politician whore, or both??

Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    I think it is clear what is going on here: Chairman Obama and his Gestapo are looking for ways to use new technology to monitor people and invade their privacy. The Chaimen has asked his Attorny General to investigate, and report on EXACTLY what information is stored on the watch; with the sole purpose of data mining it for your security.
    Reading is fundamental: if you had bothered to read this story instead of rushing to the comments section to make ridiculous political statements, you would know this was the attorney general from Connecticut, not the US attorney general. Also his line of questions appear to be against Apple holding any health data in the cloud, which is contrary to your foil hat fears.

But I shouldn't expect common sense behavior from a typical conservative teabag extremist.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-16 at 03:35 PM.

Can anyone explain why comments are randomly hidden on this blog?? Sometimes an article will have multiple comments and only the first shows up. Sometimes more will show up if I'm logged in. Sometimes more if I'm logged out. Sometimes perfectly reasonable comments are hidden while nutty comments from the likes of Nakedcrook are always shown.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Can anyone explain why comments are randomly hidden on this blog?? Sometimes an article will have multiple comments and only the first shows up. Sometimes more will show up if I'm logged in. Sometimes more if I'm logged out. Sometimes perfectly reasonable comments are hidden while nutty comments from the likes of Nakedcrook are always shown.
    I actually have a slightly different issue. I have entire articles that fail to show up. For example, yesterday I was downloading something in Cydia from the MMi repo and noticed an article on a PayPal ad that has yet to show up in app for me.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    ^^ I do agree with you to a point. I feel the consumer needs to be more responsible with his/her purchases and know what they are buying. With that being said, privacy is a big deal no matter what year you live/lived in. With what seems to be constant threats on our privacy coming to light by the day (NSA, hackers, enemies of your country etc) we really need to KNOW what we are getting and how it works. I don't see anything wrong with wanting facts about a purchase. We did just see Apples iCloud get compromised not to long ago..the questions are viable and should be asked buy all who purchase a device that can relay such info.
    you do see the hilarity in government officials raising privacy concerns, don't you?

they might as well just come out and say that they don't want anyone violating the privacy of others......unless its them doing the violating.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Here we go??? Politics trying to intervene with a new device and features coming out. Why can't it just be like old times, that if you bought something? You knew the responsibilities that come with that device and features. I'm getting really tired of politics getting in the way and keep blaming the manufacturers for stuff.

Like blaming McDonald's for making people fat? Excuse me? Who held a gun or knife to their head and made them eat there? No one! That's their choice to eat there, not McDonald's!
    Dude, shut up. The attorney general isn't trying in any way to pass some law to prevent the release of the Apple Watch. He doesn't even have the power to. How on earth can you ask, "Why can't politics be the way they used to be?" when you clearly don't even know how they work today?

He's simply asking questions about security—likely because the same way we use "work phones," he might consider issuing "work watches" to his crew and/or is asking for businesses who want to do the same.

Also, why, you ask, can't politics just be like "old times?" I'll tell you why. Because when they are, you get human hands, dead rats, rat poison, rat feces and typhoid in your sausage. That's why. Businesses are in business to make money, not keep you safe. Fight Club sums it up pretty well:

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator: You wouldn't believe.

Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?

Narrator: A major one.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 2014-09-16 at 09:45 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Dude, shut up. The attorney general isn't trying in any way to pass some law to prevent the release of the Apple Watch. He doesn't even have the power to. How on earth can you ask, "Why can't politics be the way they used to be?" when you clearly don't even know how they work today?

He's simply asking questions about security—likely because the same way we use "work phones," he might consider issuing "work watches" to his crew and/or is asking for businesses who want to do the same.

Also, why, you ask, can't politics just be like "old times?" I'll tell you why. Because when they are, you get human hands, dead rats, rat poison, rat feces and typhoid in your sausage. That's why. Businesses are in business to make money, not keep you safe. Fight Club sums it up pretty well:
    So glad to know that you gain your knowledge from watching fictional movies LMAO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

gotmuscle (2014-09-16)

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Aww, you know, the good old days! Bakc when people worked 100 hours a week just to get by in horrible working conditions with no breaks, and they had no chance of advancement. And in many towns they had no choice because the big company that employed everyone also owned the rest of the businesses in town!

And there were no child labor laws or EPA, so kids were working in those horrible conditions too, and everythng was getting polluted out of control (see LA smog as recently as the early 90's, you'll think it's Beijing)

Yeah, those good ole' days!