Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Size Comparison of iPhone 5/5s and iPhone 6/6 Plus [Video]

Default Size Comparison of iPhone 5/5s and iPhone 6/6 Plus

Between the size differences of the iPhone 5/5s/5c and the iPhone 6 and the even larger iPhone 6 Plus, it may be a hard decision for you to decide what display to go with so that you can comfortably use your device. Some of you are very comfortable with Apple's 4-inch display and are afraid to make the jump to the 5.5-inch display because it might be too big. Some of you are comfortable just upgrading to the 4.7-inch display to see how it works for you. Others will be sticking with their iPhone 5/5s/5c.

We have pre-ordered our devices, so it will be a while before we actually get them. In the mean time, we will compare the screen sizes for you with an Android clone of the 4.6-inch display, as well as a paper cutout of the 5.5-inch display. You can print out your own paper cutout of the display sizes via the PDF file embedded in this post.

You can check out our video below:

As you can see, for one-handed use, the iPhone 5/5s/5c and iPhone 6 are relatively easy to handle. The iPhone 6 Plus starts to get a little harder to handle with one hand. Luckily, Apple includes a feature called Reachability, which will make it so you can easily reach everything you need to with only one hand. Others, will likely have no problem using two hands to operate the larger 5.5-inch display whenever they need to.

The iPhone 6 is proving to be a popular device albeit the smaller display, but according to our polls, more of you went with the iPhone 6 Plus than the iPhone 6. I also went with the iPhone 6 Plus pre-order night.

Apart from the larger display, the iPhone 6 Plus also offers a better camera features, more iOS 8 features, and improved battery life over the iPhone 6, but that's about it. If you haven't ordered an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, what will you be choosing after seeing the video comparison?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-09-14), mlee19841 (2014-09-13)

Good points. Thanks

Still have to see them in store so I'll wait.

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I chose the iPh6...
    I have a Sam S4 and its just to big in my opinion so the 6 will be a nice upgrade.
    My only problem with the iPhones have always been that when I tap the "M" key I always sen to back space so I hope with the Swype and alike keyboard apps that will be rectified.

If I want to go with a larges screen I rather buy a iPAD Mini personally.

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I chose the iPh6...
    I have a Sam S4 and its just to big in my opinion so the 6 will be a nice upgrade.
    My only problem with the iPhones have always been that when I tap the "M" key I always sen to back space so I hope with the Swype and alike keyboard apps that will be rectified.

Yea. After watching that vid the 5.5 looks massive. I'm going to check out the 4.7 in store.

Where did you get the iPhone 6 mock-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
    Nice video
    Thanks for watching

Quote Originally Posted by TonyVee73 View Post
    Where did you get the iPhone 6 mock-up?
    http://www.iphonecaptain.com/use-tem...hone-6-6-plus/
    Mitch

iPhone 7
    iPhone 6
    iMac 27 inch
    13-inch Macbook pro
    iPad Air 2

I downloaded and tested the mock-ups. I went for the iPhone 6 rather than the Plus. Although the larger screen size is nice, I prefer comfort with using one hand. Something simple to consider is your hand size. Although I would rather have a larger screen I couldn't use the Plus with one hand. The other issue I took into consideration is the use of a case which I always use. The additional bulk of the case can make the phone more difficult to put in a pocket without the possibility of the device screen cracking.

Now paper mock-ups don't really tell the story, however, the "dummy" iPhone 6 model in the video did help is making a decision.

trust me when I say. If you are wanting something to leavelying around the house the iPhone 6 plus couldnt be better. However, if you plan to carry this device daily. I just can't see it being feasible. You may have to do like Mathew McCounghay and get a "fanny pack". In all seriousness I don't see the iPhone 6 plus being able to fit in a pocket without damage. Try sitting down on an iPad mini. What do you think would happen?

Thanks iPhone Captain! I watched another video recently on Tested - they 3D printed them out and did some pocket tests and stuff.

It's pretty awesome how much bigger the 6 is to the 5. Keep in mind that the iPhone 6 has some 40% more pixels than the iPhone 5!

I have a feeling that the iPhone 6 Plus would fit in my pocket just fine. I was at Walmart the other night and I saw an Android phone with a 5.1-inch display. Compared to my iPhone 5, it was hardly that much bigger.

Then again, my work clothes consist of Dickies, which have deeper pockets. I guess it depends on what you wear. Tighter jeans will have issues with tightness.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

scroogelives (2014-09-13)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't remember any 6+ specific iOS 8 features other than the Reachability and Optical Image Stabilization. What others were there?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I have a feeling that the iPhone 6 Plus would fit in my pocket just fine. I was at Walmart the other night and I saw an Android phone with a 5.1-inch display. Compared to my iPhone 5, it was hardly that much bigger.

Then again, my work clothes consist of Dickies, which have deeper pockets. I guess it depends on what you wear. Tighter jeans will have issues with tightness.
    6 Plus fits fine in tight jeans, even for me being 5 foot tall. I had our fabrication shop make a sheet metal mock up with specs given, even rolled the edges on a bead roller to see for myself if it would be comfortable as I ride Harleys. It's big, but it indeed fits fine.
    I also ordered a 6, so I got my bases covered, lol.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (2014-09-14)

it should be noted that the 6+ has a feature to combat this issue. Double taping (not press) the home button brings the top of any app to a spot on the screen where it can easily be reached one handed.

I see people with Galaxy notes and they just seem stupid when held to their ears! I think 4.7 is big enough for a iPhone but this is my personal opinion!

The whole "will the iPhone 6 plus fit in my pocket?" point is valid. But I'm more interested in how long it will take app developers to take proper advantage of the bigger screen (more text/buttons/content) and not just use it to magnify everything to ridiculous proportions like some android apps do. Remember how long it took some apps to be updated to be displayed correctly on the iPhone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I chose the iPh6...

I measured my buddy's galaxy note and, with a 5.5 inch screen, it's too darn big for me. It's not practical. But, many people love the giant screen. I'll be getting the 6.

I rarely use my phone for calls. most of the time it's used for social media, texting, games, videos, taking pics/video. In the car, I use it for music playback and GPS navigation, which the 6 Plus is gonna be perfect for. So I'm not too worried about looking dumb with a huge phone to my face. I use skinny jeans sometimes, but I don't think I'll have a problem with the 6 Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    I rarely use my phone for calls. most of the time it's used for social media, texting, games, videos, taking pics/video. In the car, I use it for music playback and GPS navigation, which the 6 Plus is gonna be perfect for. So I'm not too worried about looking dumb with a huge phone to my face. I use skinny jeans sometimes, but I don't think I'll have a problem with the 6 Plus.
    I don't think it's really a thing, this whole 'people look dumb with a big phone' nonsense. Heck, not too long ago the world was making jokes about cell phones being too small! Look, the fact is there will always be jerks out there that will hate you no matter what you do - for wearing a certain color, for how you walk, or your hair style - stupid stuff. Even universally adored people that are on the cutting-edge of fashion are ridiculed in some circles for this or that stupid reason. You can't win everyone, so you may as not even worry about it.

I think we've pretty much reached the limits of phone size practicality (a while ago, not just with the new iPhone). I don't think phones are going to get much bigger than six inches across. At some point it just becomes entirely too impractical to hold and defeats the benefit of even having a mobile phone. However, I do see a day coming soon that will blur the lines between cell phones and tablets: when service providers and device makers will offer a data plan that links your devices to the same service account. So, if you want to make a phone call on your iPhone OR your tablet you can, both using the same account. Meaning, you could effectively use your iPad as a phone if you want. Heck, eventually we'll all be using our TV's to make phone calls:

Back to the Future Part 2 (6/12) Movie CLIP - Future Marty Is Terminated (1989) HD - YouTube

(the above clip was made in 1985 and depicts the far-future of 2015, lol)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

justinpotter81 (2014-09-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast