Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wi-Fi Calling Support from AT&T to Launch in 2015

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Wi-Fi Calling Support from AT&T to Launch in 2015

Apple on Tuesday, announced that the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus would support the ability to make calls via Wi-Fi. There was only one mobile carrier that supported this feature though, and itís T-Mobile. However, that will change soon as AT&T recently announced that they would be supporting this feature as well, starting 2015. AT&Tís CEO Ralph de la Vega was asked why AT&T was falling behind its competitors, to which he responded with:

We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage. Other operators with less coverage may pursue it more aggressively.
    The way Wi-Fi calling works is that when on a Wi-Fi network, calls will be made using that and when you are out of reach from a Wi-Fi network, it will reroute your call to use regular minutes. This new feature will be rolled out when Apple releases iOS 8. T-Mobile announced support for the feature back in June of this year. It seems like itíll only be a matter of time before the other mobile carriers jump on this feature as well.

Source: CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Well I have a desire for it ATT! Since I'm still having to rock a 3G Microcell for a cell signal. Since you're to damn cheap to put up another cell tower to cover the dead spot I'm living in.
    Last edited by Carvensno; 2014-09-12 at 10:28 PM.

I hope they don't burn my minutes when I use that feature,or even worst they may not let me use it,since I'm till on 700 minutes plan

Kinda ironic, Apple working hand in hand with a company that doesn't really care about its customers. Actually I guess its fitting for two companies who screw their customers constantly to be working together.

So is there a catch like every minute of wifi calling they use 5 minutes of att lol

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Kinda ironic, Apple working hand in hand with a company that doesn't really care about its customers. Actually I guess its fitting for two companies who screw their customers constantly to be working together.
    Kinda ironic an iPhone hater spending their life on an iPhone forum.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

No need for coverage? Maybe you don't need that coverage AT&T but I need it bad.

Don't understand folks complaining. There are dozens of VOIP apps available and many have either free calls or dirt cheap minutes. Two major players are GOOGLE VOICE and SKYPE. Yes it takes some practice to get them optimally functional.

Still would also like to see VOIP wifi for AT&T and TMOBILE and MVNO too. Mostly for smoother integration. Hope there will be a jailbreak tweak to allow this on ios7 platform for jail breakers who are not upgrading to ios8.

Yeah, wifi calling would effect any Mobil phone carrier.... I'm sure there in no hurry to jump on the band wagon.

Free wifi calling and not using your minutes (that's crazy talk). First they got us iMessage and now Apple got us wifi calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

Apple on Tuesday, announced that the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus would support the ability to make calls via Wi-Fi. There was only one mobile carrier that supported this feature though, and itís T-Mobile. However, that will change soon as AT&T recently announced that they would be supporting this feature as well, starting 2015. AT&Tís CEO Ralph de la Vega was asked why AT&T was falling behind its competitors, to which he responded with:

The way Wi-Fi calling works is that when on a Wi-Fi network, calls will be made using that and when you are out of reach from a Wi-Fi network, it will reroute your call to use regular minutes. This new feature will be rolled out when Apple releases iOS 8. T-Mobile announced support for the feature back in June of this year. It seems like itíll only be a matter of time before the other mobile carriers jump on this feature as well.

Source: CNET
    This of course, will allow anyone who travel to make phone calls and text for free.... for free... I hope. The Iphone does not allow to text over WiFi , iMessege work over WiFi.

Free WiFi calling and texting from over sea, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Well I have a desire for it ATT! Since I'm still having to rock a 3G Microcell for a cell signal. Since you're to damn cheap to put up another cell tower to cover the dead spot I'm living in.
    Fyi. Wifi calling won't do anything different than a 3G microcell would so why does it matter???

Knowing AT&T they probably held out in order to construct some sort of payment blueprint for us... Yay.

Default Wi-Fi Calling Support from AT&T to Launch in 2015
    For those of you that do not think this feature is going to use your minutes is sadly mistaken. If you have an unlimited calling plan then you have nothing to worry about. However, if you have unlimited data like I do with a limited calling plan then you will be using your minutes for those wifi calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eprisencc; 2014-11-26 at 03:01 AM.