Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus a Worthy Upgrade From the iPhone 5s?

Default Are the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus a Worthy Upgrade From the iPhone 5s?

If you paid attention to Apple's Keynote yesterday, then you know Apple is about to release its next iteration(s) of the iPhone both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Both are a step up from Apple's previous-generation iPhone 5s, but in this post, we're going to help you decide if it's a worthy upgrade over the iPhone 5s.

If you're an iPhone 5 user, then chances are, this upgrade is 100% worth the jump. You're not only getting the bigger display, heftier processing and gaming power, and improved battery life, but you'll also get to take part in Apple's new Touch ID fingerprint-scanning technology and much more.

iPhone 5s users on the other hand have even less to consider. The iPhone 5s is significantly faster than the iPhone 5 already, and iPhone 5s users already have Touch ID. iPhone 5s users that want to upgrade will enjoy added battery life, a larger display, and enhanced (but not extremely significant) processing and gaming power.

Here are some more in-depth details:

The Camera

If you're into photography or videography and you use your iPhone for a lot of all that fun stuff, then the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus could be a major upgrade from the iPhone 5s.

In terms of photography, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus come packed with an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera. Now, that's the same amount of megapixels that the iPhone 5s had, although the camera mechanism has been improved with a better lens system and improved specs. For example, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both offer an aperture of /2.2 rather than the iPhone 5s's aperture of /2.4. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus both offer a new "Focus Pixels" feature with their auto-focus that the iPhone 5s doesn't offer and iPhone 6 Plus offers something that both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 don't offer called optical image stabilization rather than digital image stabilization. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users get to enjoy 43-megapixel panorama photos, while iPhone 5s users don't. Face detection has been improved too, but most other photography features remain the same between the iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus versus the iPhone 5s.

The front-facing camera on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus also outperforms the front-facing camera of the iPhone 5s. It is the same 1.2 megapixels as the iPhone 5s, although like the rear-facing camera, the aperture has been improved to /2.2 rather than /2.4. Face detection has been improved for the front-facing camera on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus over the iPhone 5s, and automatic HDR is available for both photos and videos on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, rather than photos only on the iPhone 5s. Most other features of the front-facing camera remain the same.

In terms of videography, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus really blow the iPhone 5s out of the water. The same 1080p recording is present, although the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are capable of shooting video in both 30 and 60 frames per second, while the iPhone 5s is only capable of 30 frames per second. Slow motion video on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus can be recorded in both 120 and 240 frames per second, rather than only the 120 frames per second on the iPhone 5s. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus also both offer cinematic video stabilization and continuous auto-focus video, while the iPhone 5s offers neither. Face detection has also been improved in video recording on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus over the iPhone 5. Most other video recording features are the same between the two types of handsets.

The Sensors

In addition to photography, we also use our iOS devices for other things. Many of our other tasks involve using the device's multiple sensors to gather information for specific actions.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have all of the same sensors that the iPhone 5s has, and more. Both feature the infamous Touch ID sensor for fingerprint recognition, and the gyroscope, proximity sensor, accelerometer, and ambient light sensor, but the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a new sensor that the iPhone 5s doesn't have called a barometer sensor. This allows the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to take a measurement of atmospheric pressure conditions and will allow for better weather interpretation.

The Battery Life

We also like it when our devices stay alive all day long no matter what we throw at it. Sometimes it's not possible to keep up with our demands, but the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are no slouches in battery life. The iPhone 5s already had decent battery life, but the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus can do even better and the iPhone 6 Plus does the best.

The iPhone 5s could handle up to 10 hours of talk time on 3G, but the iPhone 6 can handle 14 hours and the iPhone 6 Plus can handle 24 hours.

In terms of standby time, or just sitting on a desk and not being used while in sleep mode, the iPhone 5s could handle up to 10 days before dying; the iPhone 6 can handle the same amount, but the iPhone 6 Plus can handle a whopping 16 days.

For Web browsing, the iPhone 5s could handle 8 hours on 3G, 10 hours on LTE, and 10 hours on Wi-Fi; the iPhone 6 can handle 10 hours on 3G, 10 hours on LTE, and 11 hours on Wi-Fi; the iPhone 6 Plus can do even more by bringing 12 hours on 3G, 12 hours on LTE, and 12 hours on Wi-Fi.

In terms of video playback, the iPhone 5s could handle 10 hours, while the iPhone 6 can handle 11 and the iPhone 6 Plus can handle 14. For music playback, the iPhone 5s could handle 40 hours, while the iPhone 6 can handle 50 and the iPhone 6 Plus can handle a whopping 80 hours.

By far, the iPhone 6 Plus has the best battery performance of any iPhone yet, but that's not just luck the larger surface area of the phone lets Apple squish a larger mAh battery in there.

The Display

When you're in the market for seeing large, crisp pictures on your display, you want a display that not only looks good, but also one that isn't so small you feel like you have to squint to see.

The iPhone 5s comes with a comfortable 4-inch display, but the iPhone 6 comes with a larger 4.7-inch display. If you really want to turn the volume up, the iPhone 6 Plus comes with a massive 5.5-inch display.

Both the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 6 carry a retina display that is 326 pixels per inch (ppi), but the larger display on the iPhone 6 (1334-by-750-pixel resolution) lets you see more canvas space than the iPhone 5s (1136-by-640-pixel resolution) and may be more preferable. The iPhone 6 Plus carries a new kind of display called the retina HD display, and it has 401 pixels per inch with a 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution; with this, not only are you getting a larger canvas space, but you're also getting a display where seeing individual pixels has become even harder.

The iPhone 5s carries a contrast ratio of 800:1, the iPhone 6 carries a contrast ratio of 1400:1, and finally the iPhone 6 Plus carries a contrast ratio of 1300:1. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both offer dual-domain pixels for wider viewing angles, while the iPhone 5s does not, and also offer zooming and reachability options.

Both devices, on the other hand, come with anti-fingerprint oleophobic coatings, full RGB standards, and the same brightness limits.

The 5.5-inch display of the iPhone 6 Plus might be harder to pocket for some people and the iPhone 5s might be just a little too small, so Apple might have hit the sweet spot with the iPhone 6, although if you want a larger display, we would just recommend going big or going home with the iPhone 6 Plus since it has a retina HD display.

The CPU and GPU Performance

The iPhone 5s comes with a zippy 64-bit A7 chip and M7 motion co-processing chip, but the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus come with and even zippier 64-bit A8 chip and M8 motion co-processing chip.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus see a 25% CPU performance boost over the iPhone 5s, which in our opinion is already a pretty fast device in itself. In terms of GPU graphics performance, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both see a 50% graphics boost over the iPhone 5s, which will make a difference with iOS 8's new Metal gaming API for developers.

There's really no contest here the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus win indefinitely in performance.

The Price

Price is another factor that will come to mind when you want to consider a new iPhone. Those of you with the iPhone 5s already have the choice of sticking with it and not paying anything and those of you with an iPhone 5 or earlier have to can choose to upgrade to an iPhone 5s, or either of the iPhone 6 models.

The iPhone 5s is very affordable, starting at $99 with a contract. The iPhone 6 starts are $199 with a contract, and the iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299 with a contract. It's worth noting that that is for the 16GB model of each of those devices. For each upgrade in GB, you can expect to pay another $100 on top of that.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus go from 16GB to 64GB to 128GB, completely skipping the option of 32GB.

If you're in the market for a 32GB iPhone, you might want to stick with the iPhone 5s, although if you can afford a little extra money, then the 64GB iPhone 6 might be your best bet. Those of you with endless wallets can go balls to the wall and get the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus with a contract for $499.

Prices only get more pricier without contracts.

The Other Stuff

If there was anything else we missed, we'll talk about it here.

The iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 will have similar-behaving iOS 8 operating systems that will work just how you would expect them to in both portrait and landscape orientation. The iPhone 6 Plus on the other hand will have an iPad-like landscape orientation, and a landscape orientation Home Screen.

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will support VoLTE and faster 4G LTE download speeds than the iPhone 5s could dream of having.

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will support NFC technology through Apple's new Apple Pay service, while the iPhone 5s will not.

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will support 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, while the iPhone 5s only supports 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi.

The iPhone 5s is a relatively light device, coming in at just 3.95 ounces. The iPhone 6 follows at 4.55 ounces, and the iPhone 6 Plus is even heavier at 6.07 ounces.

iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus all come in the same colors gold, silver, and space gray.

iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus all are available on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-mobile.

iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus all have access to Siri, use Nano SIM cards, and use Apple's Lightning cable to charge and sync.

With all of this in mind, if you're looking for a good budget iPhone, the iPhone 5s is a decent way to go the even less fortunate can even flock to the iPhone 5c, which is free with a contract.

If you're looking for the best of the best, the iPhone 6 Plus is obviously the way to go, but the iPhone 6 makes a good go-between that isn't too big or too small, comes with all of the great hardware, and will run Apple's latest iOS 8 operating system.

We definitely think that both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus are amazing upgrades from the iPhone 5s. Imbued with this information, hopefully you can make a responsible choice in picking your next iPhone.

You can watch our video overview below:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-09-11)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm anxious to try out the new NFC capability. Wonder if it works just like my Google Wallet does on my Nexus 5. Maybe even better

phones are superficial, i barely use my iPhone 5. People are more concerned with an object with no energy than actual people

so sad

What's sad is that you actually wasted your time reading and then posting that post.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-09-11), buggsy2 (2014-09-11), Dave_Xiavia (2014-09-11), gotmuscle (2014-09-11), Silverado1987 (2014-09-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_X View Post
    phones are superficial, i barely use my iPhone 5. People are more concerned with an object with no energy than actual people

so sad
    And yet here you are consuming your time on an iPhone modding forum.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-09-11), King_O_Hill (2014-09-11), Silverado1987 (2014-09-11)

don't ask silly questions is it a good upgrade its a 100% GOOD idea to have a 5.5 with a moto 360 watch

Of course I'm upgrading! iPhone 5S to iPhone 6 who wouldn't!

I'm getting the 4.7" watch. Difference I've seen other than screen size is the 6plus has optic image stabilization and the 6 doesn't. Other than that there practically the same

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (2014-09-11)

You forgot to mention...those that have an iPhone 5s won't be eligible for an upgrade as their phone is only a year old. That's a major one. Full retail price? No thanks. I'll wait for the 6S with the better camera

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely is worth to me to jump from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 Plus.

Can't wait till 9/12/2014 to order two 5.5 I phone 6 plus in gold with 128 gig memory

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    You forgot to mention...those that have an iPhone 5s won't be eligible for an upgrade as their phone is only a year old. That's a major one. Full retail price? No thanks. I'll wait for the 6S with the better camera
    Actually. Verizon is offering a free iPhone 6 to anyone who trades in their older device up to the 5S and signs a new 2 yr contract. The downside is that it's the 16gb version and it doesn't include the 6+.

I better beable to record a voice memo or snapchat while playing music or a watching a damn video

Sent from space

Quote Originally Posted by MoDaLoT View Post
    Definitely is worth to me to jump from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 Plus.
    Same here. I wasn't to happy with the 5s so I decided to keep my i5 and wait it, not liking the big 6+ screen so am gonna go with the i6 this year.

Plus paying for a 64GB is what you would normally pay for the 32GB so that's a big plus there!!

I can't help it, I have to be a vocab nazi. I see this everywhere and it drives me nuts. "Infamous" is a bad thing. Hitler is infamous. Stalin is infamous. Bin Laden is infamous. December 7, 1941 is a date that lives in infamy.

The iPhone 5S's fingerprint sensor is not infamous. It was maybe lauded, or groundbreaking, or popular, or even famous. But I'm guessing you don't mean it is "infamous."

Sorry for the nerd-out.

ps good article though. very helpful.
    Last edited by novadam; 2014-09-11 at 02:02 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-09-11)

Anyone have any advice as far as purchasing AppleCare? Is it worthwhile/good idea ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    What's sad is that you actually wasted your time reading and then posting that post.
    Bwahahahaha!

Anyways, yes I think its a worthy upgrade. I switched to a Note 3 from a 4S because I wanted a bigger screen than the 5S. I can't wait to no longer have a dodgey phone!

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    This is sooooooo funny... super funny

Pass, it's did not say sapphire glass, wait for iPhone6S......
    Quote Originally Posted by apple
    A better display.
    The size of the new, higher-resolution Retina HD displays on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus may be the first thing you notice. But what you experience is so much more. With innovations that deliver higher contrast, dual‑domain pixels for more accurate color at wider viewing angles, and an improved polarizer, these are the thinnest, most advanced Multi‑Touch displays we’ve ever made.
    but not sapphire!
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 2014-09-11 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast