Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook and Jony Ive Discuss Hurdles Faced Designing the Apple Watch

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook and Jony Ive Discuss Hurdles Faced Designing the Apple Watch

Apple CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Design Jony Ive discussed the obstacles and issues of designing the company’s first wearable device in a pair of interviews with ABC News following the keynote where the hardware was debuted. When speaking with David Muir of ABC News, Cook mentioned that the Apple Watch came about after the death of the Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, which means that the wearable is the first product category that was developed under Cook’s watch.

Cook made sure to make it a point to mention that Jobs’ influence is being felt even now, nearly three years after his passing. Cook continued by stating the following regarding Job’s thoughts on the iPhone 6 and the Apple Watch:

I think he would be smiling today. I think he would be so proud that he left a company that continued after him where he could clearly see his DNA at the foundation of it. You can see Steve written all over the products we did today.
    When asked about the security of the Apple Watch, Cook said that the wearable is the most secure solution on the market and users don’t need worry about wearable being vulnerable. He noted that credit card information is translated into a Device Account Number that is used in conjunction with a dynamically generated security transaction code. The technology was first discovered in an Apple patent filing from 2012.

Muir’s last question asked Cook about Apple’s “Made in America” initiative which states that parts, services and machinery from 22 states are being used in the production of the Apple Watch and the latest iPhone product lines.

Apple’s design chief ended up saying his team took years to get the Apple Watch right, claiming that one of the hardest issues to address was making a personal device attractive to a wide range of consumers. Ive said the following regarding the matter:

We've always tried to make products that people don't begrudgingly use, but that they want to use. I think that the bar for that is very high when it's something that you wear. And it's something that you're going to wear all day, every day.
    The Apple Watch received quite a bit of praise since its unveiling. We’ll have to wait until its released to see if it turns out to be successful.

Source: ABC News via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

Is. The. Watch. Waterproof. That's all I ever wanted to know. If it's not waterproof or highly water resistant then it's worthless.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
    Is. The. Watch. Waterproof. That's all I ever wanted to know. If it's not waterproof or highly water resistant then it's worthless.
    I believe this was hinted at, if not directly said, in the announcement. He mentioned it being completely closed without any openings or ports. Also, the page for the Apple Watch Sport who's someone dumping water on himself and clearly getting the watch rather wet as well.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
    Tech journalist David Pogue learned a couple of things about Apple’s new wearable in a private briefing during the media event. Apple told him that its watch is “water resistant,” not waterproof. “Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it is fine. Take it off before the swim or get in the shower, though.”

Quote Originally Posted by mrmuji View Post
    Tech journalist David Pogue learned a couple of things about Apple’s new wearable in a private briefing during the media event. Apple told him that its watch is “water resistant,” not waterproof. “Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it is fine. Take it off before the swim or get in the shower, though.”
    Not sure why they could not make it, say, 10 m waterproof like any el-cheapo watch out there is able to do. People may jump into the pool forgetting they have the watch (though looking how bulky it is that is doubtful). That is what a watch should be, something that you forget is there when you do not need it. I will pass until they get version 3s which will have 3 days battery life, be 100 m waterproof, 2x thinner, and defibrillate your heart in case of an emergency

Did they forget about the people who wear their watches on their right hand?

The touch screen doesn't work when your hands are wet, why would you want to wear it to 100 m depth? Just a thought.
    The watch can be worn on either hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Not sure why they could not make it, say, 10 m waterproof like any el-cheapo watch out there is able to do. People may jump into the pool forgetting they have the watch (though looking how bulky it is that is doubtful). That is what a watch should be, something that you forget is there when you do not need it. I will pass until they get version 3s which will have 3 days battery life, be 100 m waterproof, 2x thinner, and defibrillate your heart in case of an emergency
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by edoutmax View Post
    Did they forget about the people who wear their watches on their right hand?
    No it'll rotate the screen , although the crown will be up front !