Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Philips Fidelio M2L Headphones to Be First to Transmit Audio Through Lightning Port

Default New Philips Fidelio M2L Headphones to Be First to Transmit Audio Through Lightning Port

Phillips is about to launch a new type of headphone set dubbed the Fidelio M2L for iOS devices (shown above) that will get its audio source from the Lightning connector of iOS devices instead of the analog 3.5mm headphone jack that traditional headphones and EarPods get their audio source from.

According to PocketLint, Apple opened up the ability for manufactures to use the Lightning port as a channel for audio output during WWDC. The gains to this are crisp 24-bit DAC audio quality, better music controls for music applications and iTunes Radio, and app-enabled headphones.

Phillips is not only going to take advantage of this new ability with the Fidelio M2L headphones, but they're also claiming that they're the first manufacturer to do so. The Fidelio M2L feature comfortable soft leather ear covers with two powerful and clean-sounding 40mm neodymium speakers.

With the headphones now having a direct digital connection to the device, rather than analog, this allows the manufacturer to have more control over what you hear directly from the headphones themselves, and will pave the way to new features in the future:

Pascal van Laer, headphones business leader, WOOX Innovations says: "We’re excited to launch the Philips Fidelio M2L, our first headphone that has a direct digital connection to your iOS device. This means we can deliver an incredible audio experience today, and also opens up exciting opportunities for innovation for the future."
    These Fidelio M2L headphones will launch first in the United States and Western Europe in December of this year for the price tag of $320 or €250.

Other manufacturers are expected to follow Phillips' footsteps in the neat future, which should help open a wide variety of competition in the open market and give users a lot to pick from, so we would recommend waiting before making your purchase.

Sources: PocketLint
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-10 at 05:43 PM.

The ability has always been there. My brother used a loaner Buick back when the iPhone 5 first launched in 2012 and it got audio over Lightning just fine despite being made BEFORE Lightning (works same as 30-pin cable's digital output on the USB end). The only problem is that knock-off Lightning cables don't have a special chip which allows this and, well, a female USB A connector on your headphones would be a lot bigger than a TRS connector. Still, I'd prefer it to having a built-in lightning cable.

Thanks

Default New Philips Fidelio M2L Headphones to Be First to Transmit Audio Through Ligh...
    I doubt that this is really necessary for higher sound quality since music players of much higher quality than the iPhone (like Pono for example) just use standard 3.5mm. Buying a pair of headphones this expensive for an iPhone is kind of a joke actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Buying a pair of headphones this expensive for an iPhone is kind of a joke actually.
    I have to agree. All this is doing is shifting the DAC circuitry from the iphone to the headset. The fact is the iPhone DACs are already pretty good. Most people would have a very hard time telling the difference between the iphone DAC and a good external DAC (assuming the comparison was carefully volume-matched). The differences in sound signature here are going to be entirely down to the design of the driver and surrounding air volume/material in these headphones.

I also hope this isn't setting a trend where we'll later all be forced to use lightning instead of 3.5 mm jack sockets. I don't need or want to carry a separate DAC around with my earbuds.