Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Forensic Expert Finds iOS 8 More Secure, Closes Some Covert Backdoor Security Risks

Default Forensic Expert Finds iOS 8 More Secure, Closes Some Covert Backdoor Security Risks

Just a couple of months ago, a forensic scientist and iOS hacker that goes by the name of Jonathan Zdziarski detailed a number of backdoor security holes in Apple's iOS 7 operating system that could make data collection by Apple or government agencies easier. Zdziarski called Apple on the backdoors and Apple quickly responded to the accusation saying that the services, known as "lockdownd," "pcapd" and "mobile.file_relay," and others were intended simply for troubleshooting technical issues and pose no security risk.

According to Zdziarski, Apple's iOS 8 GM, which was released yesterday to developers for testing ahead of the public release of iOS 8, closes many of theses security holes; although, not all of them. iOS 8 will be going public next Wednesday, September 17th by way of the OTA (over the air) and iTunes update release channels.

Zdziarski notes on his blog that iOS 8 GM "guards" the file relay (com.apple.mobile.file_relay) service so that not just anyone can extract information from it. Other fixes are also implemented so that not only are some of these services protected over a hard-wire USB connection, but also so that they're protected from a wireless AFC (Apple File Connection) connection.

Not all of the security concerns have been addressed, as Zdziarski notes, so additional measures of protection are necessary. If you're traveling through a crowded area where you're more likely for risk of data compromise, such as an airport, the hacker notes that powering down the device will dump personal information from your memory so that it cannot be extracted. Nothing is fail-proof, however.

It's great to see that Apple has taken some steps to help increase user security in iOS 8, although as Zdziarski notes, some of the threats still remain a problem. Hopefully, Apple will take action in a future iOS 8 update, such as that iOS 8.0.1 update that appears to be running wild out there.

Sources: Jonathan Zdziarski via 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-10 at 05:17 PM.

How do you feel about these backdoors in regards to your security?

Why would anybody feel good from a security standpoint about the presence of a backdoor?

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    How do you feel about these backdoors in regards to your security?

Why would anybody feel good from a security standpoint about the presence of a backdoor?
    Don't you feel better know Big Brother can help protect you?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

If they block jailbreaks then its bad. If it doesn't interfere with jailbreaks then its good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a95970 View Post
    If they block jailbreaks then its bad. If it doesn't interfere with jailbreaks then its good.
    LOL! Riiiiiight!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea I read that as, "Forensic Expert Finds iOS 8 Much Harder to Jailbreak, Closes Some Covert Backdoor Exploits."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2014-09-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Yea I read that as, "Forensic Expert Finds iOS 8 Much Harder to Jailbreak, Closes Some Covert Backdoor Exploits."
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Lol same here

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought these holds were info-gathering only with no implication on jailbreak.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought these holds were info-gathering only with no implication on jailbreak.
    Correct!