Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Will Be Launching New Rent-an-iPhone Plan Called 'iPhone for Life'

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sprint Will Be Launching New Rent-an-iPhone Plan Called 'iPhone for Life'

After Apple’s recent announcement of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, U.S. mobile carrier Sprint rolled out a new plan called ‘iPhone for Life.” “iPhone for Life” is a rental plan that allows customers to rent iPhones for a monthly flat rate instead of buying the device. Re/code reported that Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure told them, “I think a product like that deserves different treatment.” Claure told Re/code that because Apple’s handsets are at such high demand, they wanted to take advantage of that with this plan.

For those who are interested in Sprint’s new plan, a $20 monthly rental fee is required for base model iPhones. If you are interested in the iPhone 6 Plus, the monthly charge will be more. Since the plan is a rental plan, taxes are not required for customers and customers can upgrade every 24 months. The mobile company will also offer a $50 fee for iPhone-only plans which has unlimited text, talk, and data. Last but not least, customers can also opt to finance the device for $30 a month or pay full retail price for the new iPhone.

Will you be renting the new iPhone, financing it, or purchasing it at full price? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Re/code

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

First. And all of the above.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

At 649 for iPhone 6 I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it this year and I won't be able to take advantage of Edge (verizon) because I'm on the unlimited plan. Ugh!

That’s actually not a bad deal, when you do the math. I’m kind of surprised. Total over 24 months is $480 to use a $650 device (add tax and it’s more like $680 depending on state). At the end the difference is about $200, which around what you could get for the phone used if you sell it at the end of the contract.

The plan cost isn’t bad either when consider it’s free unlimited 4G LTE (if you have Sprint LTE in your area yet, still waiting in Cincinnati!)

I guess the only hitch is you have to keep the phone in pretty decent shape. Tear it up or break it, and you’re probably on the hook for additional charges or buying a new one.

If I had Sprint LTE in my city and didn’t already hate them for screwing me over in the past, I’d seriously consider this deal. Instead I’m looking to move to T-Mobile, which will cost about the same between me and my wife, but after 2 years we’ll own the iPhones and can sell them.

$70 a month for an iPhone and unlimited data seems generous. Is my math wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    That’s actually not a bad deal, when you do the math. I’m kind of surprised. Total over 24 months is $480 to use a $650 device (add tax and it’s more like $680 depending on state). At the end the difference is about $200, which around what you could get for the phone used if you sell it at the end of the contract.

The plan cost isn’t bad either when consider it’s free unlimited 4G LTE (if you have Sprint LTE in your area yet, still waiting in Cincinnati!)

I guess the only hitch is you have to keep the phone in pretty decent shape. Tear it up or break it, and you’re probably on the hook for additional charges or buying a new one.

If I had Sprint LTE in my city and didn’t already hate them for screwing me over in the past, I’d seriously consider this deal. Instead I’m looking to move to T-Mobile, which will cost about the same between me and my wife, but after 2 years we’ll own the iPhones and can sell them.
    You can get more than $200 for a used iPhone, especially if it's factory unlocked. iPhone 5 16GB, unlocked, go for upwards of $300. I can probably get $400 for my factory unlocked iPhone 5 32GB. That's like half of what I'm gonna pay for the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB that I plan on ordering.

T-Mobile doesn't have contracts/subsidies, so I have to pay the full price of the phone. I pay at least $30 less than what I did with AT&T per month, that's at least $360 a year I save. After 2 years, that's $720 I've saved, almost the full price of an iPhone, depending which model you get. I get to keep the phone, I don't have a contract, still pay less per month, and I can sell the phone and still get a considerable amount for it.

I am sure Sprint will sell its customers some sort of monthly protection for the iPhone in case of loss or accidental damage, and people will still end up paying the full amount for a phone they are renting.

I have an unlimited iPhone with AT&T for $89 on contract

looks like Verizon is fighting back with a unique offer of their own: turn in your old iPhone, as old as an iPhone 4, and get the new 16GB 6 free with new 2 year agreement.

Verizon offers iPhone 6 for free - Sep. 9, 2014

The details are a little unclear though Is this only for current customers who turn in their phones, for new customers that walk in with a phone from any network, or all of the above?

For me, this would be a decent deal since I'm a year out on my contract. I could sell my 5S for maybe $500 and buy a new one for $650, which is a $150 loss. Or I could do something more round about like cancel my contract, pay the ETA, sell my phone, then start a new contract, but even then I tyhink I would still lose out a little in $ and it would be tricky to maintain my number through all of that.

It almost sounds too good to be true, so either Verizon is just really fighting back and the consumer will benefit (rarely happens) or I'm missing some key piece of info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    $70 a month for an iPhone and unlimited data seems generous. Is my math wrong?
    I pay about 60$ I get 25% from my job.. Sprint here is bad but dirt cheap n I like that...everything unlimited.. I can't complain, but they'll need to fix the signal went talking to someone I get cut off..
    T-mobile is close to cheap like sprint.. U should check tmobile like I did I might be switching sometime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Jozelito617 View Post
    I pay about 60$ I get 25% from my job.. Sprint here is bad but dirt cheap n I like that...everything unlimited.. I can't complain, but they'll need to fix the signal went talking to someone I get cut off..
    T-mobile is close to cheap like sprint.. U should check tmobile like I did I might be switching sometime soon
    I checked the Sprint coverage in my area and 4G and 3G reception is in the red (meaning Strong). The thing with signals is that it really can depend on exactly where the towers are and local conditions around your home. So really it's hard to say whether I'll get good reception until I bring it home and test it, and the only way to do that is to sign a contract :shrug:

T-Mobile made some great announcements today at their Uncarrier 7.0.

All their new smartphones will be WiFi Calling capable. They will also loan you a free wifi router so you can have service at home if you get bad reception and don't already have a wifi router. $25 deposit, refundable when you return the router, or you can purchase router for $99. Wifi calling will work on any network you're connected to, and handoff between VoLTE and Wifi is seamless and automatic.

So if you want T-Mobile but it's not so great at home, might want to check into it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong but seems like this is another way for Sprint to get out of not unlocking devices whether you finance, pay full price or rent the device. The subject matter has come up numerous times and yet Sprint seems to tiptoe around it and try to find ways to avoid it by offering a good deal on their service plans. Verizon devices however already come unlocked you just have to pay the premium for the service. Guess it really comes down to how much do you really wanna pay??

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but seems like this is another way for Sprint to get out of not unlocking devices whether you finance, pay full price or rent the device. The subject matter has come up numerous times and yet Sprint seems to tiptoe around it and try to find ways to avoid it by offering a good deal on their service plans. Verizon devices however already come unlocked you just have to pay the premium for the service. Guess it really comes down to how much do you really wanna pay??

Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

The way I see it with this new plan by Sprint is that you're renting the iPhone over a two year period, which equates to $480 for the iPhone and you have to hand over at the end of the contract. The 16gb iPhone should only be $199 with a regular two year contract plus its yours to keep or sell. I don't see any benefit from renting unless you don't have the money upfront to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ensigma View Post
    The way I see it with this new plan by Sprint is that you're renting the iPhone over a two year period, which equates to $480 for the iPhone and you have to hand over at the end of the contract. The 16gb iPhone should only be $199 with a regular two year contract plus its yours to keep or sell. I don't see any benefit from renting unless you don't have the money upfront to pay for it.
    The big difference between the Sprint deal and the 2 year subsidy deal you're mentioning is that Sprint's monthly total cost is $70 with the phone aand unlimited everything. I don't think there are any plans that exist today that are that good and inexpensive. Most, if not all, subidy or financed phone agreements have limited data, or at least limited LTE, and are more expensive than this, not counting the upfront $200 cost.

Right now I'm checking out Verizon's new offer that gets you a new iPhone for no money down if you renew your 2 year agreement and turn in your old phone. It's basically their "Jump" plan (or whatever Verizon called it) without the extra monthly fee. I've been trying to find a way to get on the same upgrade cycle as my wife, who is due for an upgrade bu I have a year to go. I'll swap her 5 for my 5S, turn it in, and basically get an early upgrade. Meanwhile, she'll be able to upgrade on her own cycle at the same time and we can sell my 5S. We'll both be on the 6, get on the same upgrade cycle, and probably make at least $100 in the process!