Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Choosing Between a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and a 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus

Default Choosing Between a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and a 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus

Having trouble deciding between the new 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus? You're not alone.

Both devices are a bump up from the iPhone 5s, and include a larger display that is not only taller, but wider as well. Both devices come with Apple's 64-bit A8 chip and M8 motion co-processor, which are a serious upgrade from the A7 chip in the iPhone 5s. Both also include Apple's upcoming iOS 8 operating system, which includes countless new features that users are sure to enjoy.

The Display

The major difference between the two devices is the display. Not only is the 5.5-inch display of the iPhone 6 Plus much larger than the 4.7-inch display of the iPhone 6, but the pixel density is 401 pixels per inch on the iPhone 6 Plus rather than 326 pixels per inch on the iPhone 6. This gives the iPhone 6 Plus display the name "Retina HD" because it's a higher resolution than a retina display.

The resolution of the iPhone 6 Plus is 1920-by-1080 pixels, while the iPhone 6 only has a resolution of 1334-by-750 pixels. Both displays offer IPS (in-plane switching) technology, as well as dual-domain pixels for a wider viewing angle. The retina HD display offers a 1300:1 contrast ratio, while the regular retina display offers a 1400:1 contrast ratio.

Both displays have the same maximum brightness level, the same multi-touch capabilities, and the same anti-fingerprint oleophobic coating.

The Cameras

In terms of cameras, the devices are almost the same. It's an all-new 8 megapixel camera on the rear with 1.5µ pixels and ƒ/2.2 aperture. Both cameras are a bump up from the iPhone 5s with both Autofocus and Focus Pixels. Both cameras also feature the dual-LED flash that debuted on the iPhone 5s for a more realistic flash color.

The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, however, gets hardware image stabilization, while the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 gets only digital image stabilization.

Face detection has been improved over the iPhone 5s in both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, making selfies easier than ever before. In addition, panorama photos on both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are a whopping 43 megapixels. Burst Mode, Timer Mode, Auto HDR, and more are also available on both cameras rear-facing thanks to the operating system.

The front-facing camera is still a 1.2 megapixel camera, just like on the iPhone 5/5c. The only changes we see are that the aperture has been adjusted to ƒ/2.2 rather than ƒ/2.4, burst mode has been added, face detection has been improved, and Auto HDR is now available for front-facing videos too.

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both feature 1080p video recording at either 30 or 60 frames per second. Slow motion video can be recorded at 120 frames per second, or 240 frames per second. Apple also touts two new features called Cinematic video stabilization and Continuous autofocus video, which are not available on the iPhone 5s and earlier.

The Operating System

It would seem that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus has the ability to run applications in landscape mode similarly to the iPad, in that you can have a dual-pane interface. The regular 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will behave more like previous versions of the iPhone with a true landscape mode. There are expected to be other features that the iPhone 6 Plus can do that the iPhone 6 can't, but they haven't been uncovered yet.

Both phones come with VoLTE and faster LTE support, so you can get right to using the nice high-quality phone calls and faster cellular Internet.

Another thing to consider are the applications from the App Store. Apple seems to think that existing applications should "just work" on the new handsets, but it's worth noting that with the retina HD display, applications will appear much fuzzier on the iPhone 6 Plus than they will on the iPhone 6 until developers finally update their applications to support the iPhone 6 Plus. So this is something major you have to consider; does the large display do you any justice if some or most of your applications are all going to look like garbage for over a year? We understand that some developers are relatively quick at updating their applications, but there are a handful who are not – it took a very long time for some applications to be ready for the iPhone 4 when transitioning from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4's retina display.

Battery Life

This is another place where the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus shines. Battery life on the larger of the two iPhone 6 handsets is drastically better. In terms of talk time on 3G, iPhone 6 Plus gets 24 hours, while iPhone 6 only gets 12 hours. In terms of standby time, iPhone 6 Plus gets 16 days, while iPhone 6 only gets 10 days. For Internet usage, iPhone 6 Plus gets 12 hours on 3G, 12 hours on LTE, and 12 hours on Wi-Fi, while the iPhone 6 only gets 10 hours on 3G, 10 hours on LTE, and 11 hours on Wi-Fi. For video playback, the iPhone 6 Plus gets 14 hours, while the iPhone 6 only gets 11 hours. And finally, for music playback, the iPhone 6 Plus gets 80 hours, while the iPhone 6 only gets 50 hours. Both handsets are a drastic improvement over the iPhone 5s.

Bells and Whistles

Both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus come with Touch ID, a built-in barometer, a gyroscope, an accelerometer, proximity sensor, and ambient light sensor. The barometer is something new to the iPhone 6, but the Touch ID sensor is something that started on the iPhone 5s.

Both will also support Apple's upcoming Apple Watch, and both also have new NFC technology.

Look and Feel

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both look the same, although one is just larger and heavier than the other. The iPhone 6 Plus is 6.22 inches high by 3.06 inches wide by 0.28 inches deep and weighs 6.07 ounces. The iPhone 6, on the other hand, is 5.44 inches high by 2.64 inches wide by 0.27 inches deep and weighs 4.55 ounces.

The Usability

The iPhone 6 will feel more like a smartphone, while the iPhone 6 Plus starts to feel more like a phablet. On the other hand, the larger display is something that people have been begging Apple to bring to us and Apple has finally delivered. It would seem that right now, the vast majority of people are happier with the size of the 4.7-inch display, although in time, we're sure the larger 5.5-inch display will quickly become more popular, as the larger canvas space gives you more possibility.

The iPhone 6 Plus doesn't have a display that's so large the phone won't fit in your pocket, unless you have insanely tight pockets, but it will be harder to handle than the smaller iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 Plus is heavier, so you will have too count in that if you drop it, the force of impact will be more forceful. The larger surface area also makes it more prone to bending and cracking when dropped than the smaller, sturdier iPhone 6, so a case is highly recommended.

The Price

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are $100 apart on all models. The iPhone 6 Plus is $299 for the 16 GB model, while the iPhone 6 is $199 for the 16GB model. The iPhone 6 Plus is $399 for the 64GB model, while the iPhone 6 is $299 for the 64GB model. And finally, the iPhone 6 Plus is $499 for the 128GB model, while the iPhone 6 is $399 for the 128GB model. Prices are with carrier contracts, and you can expect the unlocked prices to be even higher. Activation fees, upgrade fees, and contract fees all need to be weighed in when making your choice.

Overall

In the end, the specs of the two phones are relatively close to each other. The only major differences are in battery life, screen size, operating system features, and price. If you can rule out any of these features, the choice should be clear to you. As for me, I think I'm sold on the iPhone 6 Plus. It seems like it will have the most bang for my buck.

You can compare both devices in depth, and even compare them to older iPhones, from Apple's Web site.

What one will you be getting should you upgrade?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-10 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Information about image stabilization has been added

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Bertnelson (2014-09-10), novadam (2014-09-10)

I choose neither. Both phones show nothing revolutionary since they released the 5 and 5s. It just minor tweaks and new design alongside perfomance enhancements THAT ONLY, to me, give the advantage to those who like to watch videos.

Ill save my money and buy the Ipad Ive been wanting. The ios8 continuity excites me way too much.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Hmm, wonder if the t-mobile no contract option will be unlocked like it was last year for the 5s...

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

definitely getting the Plus model. now, all I'll need is a phone mount that can handle it

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^Hope so, if not I will purchase an unlocked version anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
    I choose neither. Both phones show nothing revolutionary since they released the 5 and 5s. It just minor tweaks and new design alongside perfomance enhancements THAT ONLY, to me, give the advantage to those who like to watch videos.

Ill save my money and buy the Ipad Ive been wanting. The ios8 continuity excites me way too much.
    I know for me, that the 6+ should suit my needs perfectly. I've always liked the Mini and wanted one for work but didn't wanna carry two devices for my job. The 6+ will satisfy only carrying one device w/ the benefits of both a phone and a tablet.

Can't wait!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^Hope so, if not I will purchase an unlocked version anyway.
    They never specifically say unlocked on the US site at launch though. Usually a month or so later that is added. Last year all t-mobile ones from Apple were unlocked though which was fine for people like me who need it to be unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post

I agree is many respects but these are the first phones with the amount of space I need for my music collection. It's 160GB on my laptop and I could really use 100GB on my phone to store most of it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-09-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^Yup.

I can't find it. Did it say how much ram they both had?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I can't find it. Did it say how much ram they both had?
    That information was never publicized yet.

man I'm gonna be so broke with these 2 new iphones

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    That information was never publicized yet.
    Dang. Was curious if the 6+ was gonna have extra. I'm not a huge fan of the 5.5" because I don't have Lebrun James hands but I might have Togo with the 4.7".

Might want to add that the iPhone 6 had digital image stabilization while the Plus has hardware stabilization.

My heart tells me "just an iphone 6" but the awesome big screen of the iphone 6 plus is calling me…
    I will choose once I got both iphone 6 in hands.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zooropalg For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-09-10), Silverado1987 (2014-09-10), Thizizmi (2014-09-10)

At first I was definitely going to get the iphone 6 but the iphone 6 plus battery life is so much better. Dilemma dilemma.
    Last edited by punjabi212; 2014-09-10 at 12:49 AM.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm quite curious to see these taken apart for more internal specs.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Default Choosing Between a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and a 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus
    I have only one complaint...
    Why the hell is Apple still continuing the 16GB model and not make the 32GB the lowest end?!
    16GB is hardly enough space nowadays to even still have it around.
    This is what the line up should've looked like instead:

$199 $299 $399
    32GB 64GB 128GB

Anyone else agree?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jose060789 For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-09-10), Bo Troxell (2014-09-10), chevymusclecar (2014-09-10), ChicagoV (2014-09-10), Dphillipds (2014-09-10), ihappy (2014-09-11), Jokadaking (2014-09-10), jsuddu0109 (2014-09-10), Nightwarrior305 (2014-09-10), novadam (2014-09-10), punjabi212 (2014-09-10), Thizizmi (2014-09-10)

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    I have only one complaint...
    Why the hell is Apple still continuing the 16GB model and not make the 32GB the lowest end?!
    16GB is hardly enough space nowadays to even still have it around.
    This is what the line up should've looked like instead:

$199 $299 $399
    32GB 64GB 128GB

Anyone else agree?
    I concur!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kickerman65's Avatar
    Thanks

I am very indecisive as of which model to get myself. I drew up some mockups from the specs as to help me decide. Maybe they will help others as well.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kickerman65 For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-09-10), chevymusclecar (2014-09-10), Nightwarrior305 (2014-09-10)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast