Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Regardless of the Screen Size, iOS Apps Should Auto-adjust to New Display on iPhone 6 Plus

Default Regardless of the Screen Size, iOS Apps Should Auto-adjust to New Displays on iPhone 6

The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus come with larger displays than the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s. iPhone 5s has a screen size of 4 inches diagonally; the iPhone 6 has a screen size of 4.7 inches and the iPhone 6 Plus has a screen size of 5.5 inches. Both of these phones will go on pre-order starting Friday, September 12th, and will be available to the public starting next Friday, September 19th.

The resolution of the new iPhone 6 Plus is much more dense and allow for a much fuller display experience with applications; both native and third-party. With that, you may be wondering if that means a horrible transition experience for App Store applications on the new displays.

According to Apple, no matter what size the screen is, all of the App Store's applications should run just fine on the new display. Granted, they may be a little pixelated due to the new resolution, the applications to automatically adjust to fit the new display and function as expected.

Native applications, on the other hand, have been carefully tailored to already be able to take full advantage of the new high-resolution displays, so there will be no auto-adjusting necessary.

Developers will still have to update their applications for the aesthetics to look good, though. These are updates that will likely come along with support for Apple's new iOS 8 operating system, which will be released to the public next Wednesday, September 17th.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-09 at 09:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Regardless of the Screen Size, iOS Apps Should Auto-adjust to New Displays on...
    According to apples site the ppi is only higher on the 6+, not the 6. That said, thanks, you answered a question I was just thinking about!

(401ppi vs 326ppi for the 6+ vs 6/5s/5c respectively)

Not sure about the camera bump on the back. They seem to have made the phone so slim the camera is now to large so the camera sticks out, so you can't actually lay the phone flat on anything !
    Or have I seen this bump incorrectly

Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
    Not sure about the camera bump on the back. They seem to have made the phone so slim the camera is now to large so the camera sticks out, so you can't actually lay the phone flat on anything !
    Should sit flush if you put a nice case on the phone.

So besides the screen res. what else is different between the 2? Do they both have the same features?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So besides the screen res. what else is different between the 2? Do they both have the same features?
    Because of the screen differences, you get new operating system features, like side-by-side view.

Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus Confirmed to Have iPad-like Landscape View for Apps

More info here:

Apple - iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

And battery life is significantly longer on the 6+

iPhone? More like MyPhone hopethemodworx's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish they raised the res on the iPhone 6. I'm getting the 6 cus 5.5 is way too big.

Any word on if the lockscreen also rotates on the 6 plus?

Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
    Correct, it protrudes a bit.

Also, has anybody noticed the issue with the curved screens? Screen protectors won't be able to cover the entire screen. Of course, that wouldn't have mattered if those screens had been sapphire...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matchstic View Post
    Any word on if the lockscreen also rotates on the 6 plus?
    Highly doubt it but not sure

Default iPhone6 camera bump...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Should sit flush if you put a nice case on the phone.
    Yeah... I really agree with you on that. I'm just gonna wait and see and feel it in my hand once it hit the Apple Store and check out the bump on the camera. I personally do no like it at all, but, again will see. At first I was thinking about getting the iPhone 6 and when I see the two comparison on both device the iPhone 6 Plus does look very nice. I have a small and I think the iPhone 6 128gb will do for me tho and again I'm gonna check out both device before I purchase it.

Thanks

I do like the landscape rotation. Reminds me of the Cydia tweak I used to use on my 3GS and iPhone 4 called Lock Rotation. I am going with the 5.5" screen cause my hands are huge. I always mistype and my iPhone 5C looks like a toy in my hands.

I really hope some apps don't look blurry on the 5.5 version. That's one thing I hated about android phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I really hope some apps don't look blurry on the 5.5 version. That's one thing I hated about android phones.
    They shouldn't. Everything is made to run on retina display so there shouldn't be issues like with android.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I do like the landscape rotation. Reminds me of the Cydia tweak I used to use on my 3GS and iPhone 4 called Lock Rotation. I am going with the 5.5" screen cause my hands are huge. I always mistype and my iPhone 5C looks like a toy in my hands.
    It does rotate to landscape.